Towing Speeds

r4man2

DW and I are here in Elkhart to pickup our new 3400RL. On the way from Idaho passed through Illinois and Iowa where the posted RV towing speeds are 55 mph. Its the same as for commercial trucks.

Our observation was that the 18 wheelers were traveling every bit as fast as the cars. Saw a sign in Illinois that speed violations could cost $1000. I think that traveling at the speed limit 55 mph with our new BH will cause ' a moving traffic jam' as traffic bunches up getting around us on the two lane highways.

What kind speeds are you folks maintaining in these areas?

Rick and Lynn

Tom of Ypsi

I most generally follow the speed limits posted or below and my maximum speed is 62-65 mph now matter what the speed limit is. I find the slower you go the more scenery you will see and the faster traffic will pass you with no problems. Just stay to the right side of the road and you should be alright.

jpmorgan37

Rick,
Generally, my towing speed is 60 mph. Also, I try to stay off of the Interstates as much as is practical as I find that my travelling is much more enjoyable and a lot less big truck traffic. If I am on a two lane road and an 18 wheeler comes up behind me, I call him on the CB and let him know that I'll give him a chance to pass as soon as possible. They 'preciate it and I don't create traffic jams. It works for us.

markandrenita

We just picked up our 34005l two weeks ago at Elkhart,(traveled from Wyoming). Anyway we travel at 65 max and a lot less with side winds. I quickly learned that I like the two lane highways a lot better than the interstate for scenery and because it seems like you are more protected from the wind. I go about 55-60 o the two lanes.

jbeletti

When towing, I do the speed limit but not greater than 62 MPH.

Someone told me or I read it somewhere a few years ago - that on an Interstate highway, run a couple MPH under the speed limit and life is good. Sure enough, everyone passes you and you are rarely running up on the back of another vehicle.

Jim

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
We rarely exceed 60 mph usually between 55 and 60 and it make for a better drive including most of the time we the around 14MPG. Less wind sway and scenery is nice we also like to stay off interstates as much as possible. We have ended up on roads I wish we had not but we are still doing it. I like JP's idea of talking to the trucker when he come up behind you on 2 lane roads I am going to start doing that.
Good Luck
Wayne

Forrest Fetherolf

I set the cruise @ 60-62 mph regardless of the highway speed The Duramax is turning up 1650 rpm @ max torque of 650 lbs. Speeds any faster than that, you start battling with the big truckers and other slo-mo's trying to jockey to maintain the higher speed. After you go through all that ducking and diving you might arrive thirty minutes earlier, if your lucky, tired, beat up, and add a few extra gallons of fuel to cover the extra throttle action. Most highway law enforcement will allow 7 miles over the posted speed limit before they take action.

"The fuzz that was"...............Forrest None

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Further to my #6 Posting I forgot. I think don't know but think another advantage to 55 to 60 MPH is tire heat. The Day we left the east coast rally in SC it was 93 degrees. We had to get home so we used interstates. First thing I always do when we stop is put my hand on the tires. That day the tires were barely warm to the touch. I don't know if it is a factor but I keep hoping this will help avoid blow outs.
I would be interested in hearing the speeds and temperatures people were at when they had blow outs.
My Goodway tires say Max 110psi. Before leaving home I always put them as close as I can get them to 110. Usually between 105 and 110. It is a good work out for my little donut compressor.
Would appreciate comments.
Regards
Wayne

jpmorgan37

Wayne;
I was running 60 mph, the weather was overcast, started at 110# cold, 1 hour before it blew, the pressure (according to my PP) was 117. Road was smooth and no construction or debris.

Jimmyt5

I have a thermal heat sensor that I use when we stop at a rest stop.
The tires on the sun side on the truck and RV are around 118o. The dark side IE: non sun side is about 114...

I have not been doing this too long so can't say that much about different times of year..These reading were in Aug and Sept temp 85 to 90...

HappyKayakers

We set the cruise between 60 and 65. Depending on traffic conditions, we may or may not pay attention to the much lower posted speed limits. If it were enforced, that would be a different matter. But I really don't like folks coming up behind me at 25-30 mph closing speeds. Who knows if they're paying attention?

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I travel at the the speed limit or 60 - 62 (95 - 100 KPH). Only blowout I've had were older tires. I pushed it with 7 yr. old tires once, never again...../Doug

azbound

Towing Speed

I travel between 55 & 60, seem to get the best fuel milage. We try not to drive more than 7 hours a day, I guess thats the benefite of retirement. Besides the differance between 60 and 65 in a seven hour day is only 35 miles. And if you are unfortunate and have a blow out the slower speed make it that much easier to come to a safe stop.

Gary & JB
AZBound

I agree with everyone here. I like to drive at about 60 mph. With the diesel pick-up trucks that we have these days we could actually drive as fast as we want and it would be no problem for the truck. Stopping, however is another matter. Even with trailer brakes we are trying to stop a total weight of about 23,000 pounds (Yes, I weighed the rig at a truck stop to get this information). It's amazing how people at a stop sign will jump out in front of us. I guess they don't want to get stuck behind a slow moving RV, but if they knew how much we weigh they might just reconsider that risk. If I'm on a two lane road (which many of us seem to prefer) I'll keep an eye on how many vehicles are behind me. If I'm starting to hold up more than 4 or 5 other cars I'll find a safe place or an improved shoulder and pull over to let them pass. That will also keep us RVers from getting a bad name with other motorists and will prevent others from taking dangerous and unnecessary risks in attempting to pass.
One more thing - you will, obviously, save fuel by driving slower. Even though Heartland 5th wheels have a very aerodynamic front cap it is still somewhat like dragging a parachute behind you - the faster you go the more fuel you burn. Any time that you will save by going faster will be lost at the gas station pumping fuel.

cmart

AZbound, when we travel I make a point of leaving my overnight spot right after 9am when the morning rush hour traffic is over, and then parking for the evening before 3pm when the rush hour starts. Now thats what I like about retirement. I too set the cruise to 60-64 and wave to everyone who passes me, especially the ones who apparently have only one finger on their waving hand.

azbound

cmart said:
AZbound, when we travel I make a point of leaving my overnight spot right after 9am when the morning rush hour traffic is over, and then parking for the evening before 3pm when the rush hour starts. Now thats what I like about retirement. I too set the cruise to 60-64 and wave to everyone who passes me, especially the ones who apparently have only one finger on their waving hand.

cmart

Can't argue with your reasoning and your schedule pretty much mirrors ours. We are in no hurry to get anywhere. A 300 mile day means there was no suitable place to stop sooner.

azbound
Gary and JB