What's the best cargo storage tip or mod you have done?

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We've had our 3370 for a couple weeks now and DH is starting to modify the storage areas. Anyone have any tips or tricks that worked well for them? Things you moved or re-arranged? Where do you put your "stuff"?

Our newest trick accessory was some lightweight plastic slat board with wire baskets and hooks for the front storage area. Allows us to see whats in there without having to dig under other "stuff" and leaves the floor area fairly clear. We also added a couple pull-out wire baskets under the sink area.

Would love to hear of other folks ideas as we are 25 year RV'ers, but this is our first 5th wheel and the storage is VERY different than the class A's we had. Need all the organization help we can get. :)

slmayor

Great idea... I think we have the exact same stuff in there! LOL
If I can figure out how to do pics on here, I'll take some of the front compartment and post them here.

jbeletti

slmayer,

Here's a link to some pics of what I did.

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=469&d=1130637950

slmayor

Thanks, Jim
Really nice job.
We have been thinking about one of the slides. Do you know how much yours weighed?

Cooper

I installed a divider in my basement which splits my Golden Gate basement and gave me more storage. I now have a rack to hold my broom and washing brushs with the extended arm. In the front compartment I insulated it and installed a generator compartment. I also add a droplight on a reel for working around the trailer.

timk

We found some space in the basement to stash some things we dont use much.

Attachments

• basement (2).jpg
    basement (2).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 413
  • basement.jpg
    basement.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 383

ChopperBill

v92c said:
Very cool TimK

This might surpass the TimK Tent in a Vent mod.:D

Tony
Not a chance! The Vent Deal in the easiest, most ingenuous, mod of the century! The storage idea is close but requires more work. May have to put that on my project list, however.
Now my storage tip: Throw out half the junk you dont use!

slmayor

Thanks to all! When we unpacked the A after 4 years, I could not believe all the "stuff" we had in there. Surprised it moved out of the driveway under it's own power. Lots of it is not going back in. We no longer need to take a quite a bit of it, because the kids are grown now and can take their own stuff.
Found DH had 12 pairs of jeans, 3 still with tags on them. Keep in mind we rarely go out for over a week. I had 6 pairs of shoes... LOL
14 coffee cups, and 8 camp chairs. I really don't think we'll ever need them unless we have all of you over for coffee.
As soon as I get out to take photos, I'll show you what DH did in the front compartment. Looks good and we don't have to dig thru everything.
Thank you all for the tips. (Except maybe Tim) Now I'm going to have to hide the SawzAll.

Uncle Rog

Timk, how deep is the "new" storage area? How did you you re-sheet the bottom of your "found" area? I saw your post before and forgot about it, after re-thinking it might be a great place to stash small stuff just to reduce clutter.............

timk

I dont have it here, but its as deep as the frame is tall. Then I simply put a piece of osb on the I beam lips. It took a few tabs welded to the main bulkhead in the front, but they could be bolted on.

I find it great for the things I dont use much, like the portable sat dish, and exercise equipment.

slmayor sorry!! I would take a peek to see where your tanks are, before you get too busy with the sawzall.

71skmodc

Jim ,

I was looking at the picture of your compartment. I am looking for some info on the plastic pipe you have in the upper right of the compartment. What size pipe is that? Where did you get the fittings and the pipe? I was especially looking at the plastic pipe hanger. I was in Home Depot today and I can not find the hanger like you have? Can you or anyone else help?

Thanks

Fishingicon

Signature

Retired4Fun
I'm new, just bought a 3055 and was checking out the Forum - kinda like your use of the Bighorn in your signature = mind if I copy and imbelish it a bit?

Uncle Rog

I finally finished insulating the bed room floor / basement ceiling, only took an hour and still have a large piece of 2" rigid, R-13 left over. The wind started as I was screwing in the last piece!

ky-newbie

Hi!

OK, now I'm confused. I've been reading the posts about how the storage areas are not secure, how one key opens the storage areas of different manufacturers, and how you might as well leave those unlocked while camping. Why would anyone store their satellite dish, chairs, or anything of value in there?

That's one of my hang-up's when thinking of buying an RV and full-timing it. I know I have too much stuff now - But when I think of just leaving the basement unlocked, I don't see how I could keep anything down there. Maybe I'm just paranoid. :O)

Thanks!