Towing on the beach

HornedToad

I would really like to plan a trip to Padre Island and primitive camp on the beach. I'm worried about getting stuck... with a huge tow bill.

Has anyone made this trip?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Nope, but somebody might have the link to the video of someone getting stuck on a beach and needing two more trucks to get him out.

danemayer

I had the truck out on the beach at Port Aransas 2 years ago. The sand was not packed down and traction was very poor. I called it quits after maybe a 150 yards while I could still do a wide turnaround. If the sand was damp and packed, it would have been a lot easier. I'm told that gassers do better because of the lighter engines. Wouldn't have made it 10 feet with the trailer hooked up.

scottyb

Friends of mine headed out for a camping trip way down Padre island. I guess there had been an exceptionally high tide a few days earlier and there were thousands upon thousands of hardheads buried in the sand. They had flat tire after flat tire, eventually running out of spares. One vehicle managed to get out and try to find enough new or used tires to get everyone out. about 36 hours later and a lot of dollars lighter, they all made it back to pavement, aborted the fishing trip, and limped home. I was very glad that I missed out on that one.

traveler44

I thought hardheads were people who can't be convinced that they are wrong. My wife calls me that once in a while. What are the kind that were buried in the sand? Tom

scottyb

Yeah, I suppose all of us have been called various form of hardheads at one time or another.

Hardhead Catfish

Other Names
Sea Catfish, Tourist Trout DescriptionHardhead catfish have six rounded barbels that stick out from their chins like whiskers. These barbels help the catfish find crabs, fish and shrimp in the muddy bays where they live. The dorsal and pectoral fins each are supported by a sharp, slime-covered barbed spine. The dorsal spine normally is held erect when the fish is excited and a tennis shoe or even a leather-soled shoe offers little protection. And Tires too.

Adults may reach two pounds or more, but the average is about 10 inches and half a pound. Texas record is 3.3 pounds; 19 inches; 1997.Life HistoryHardheads spawn in the spring; the male carries the eggs in his mouth until they hatch and the young catfish are able to care for themselves.HabitatThe hardhead catfish occurs in large numbers in both bay and Gulf waters.DistributionAtlantic and Gulf waters.How To CatchHardheads are voracious feeders and will take any type of natural bait. NOTE: Exercise great care when removing this fish from your hook as the slime layer covering the large barbed dorsal spine is mildly toxic. A puncture will be followed by severe pain and swelling. The spine is also barbed, which makes withdrawal an additionally painful process. Pliers or other devices should be used to hold the fish while removing the hook. Most of all, do not use your foot to hold it still. The dorsal spine is normally held erect and tennis shoes or leather-soled shoes are not enough protection.Where To CatchHardheads can be caught in most bay and Gulf waters.How To EatWhile the flesh is edible, it isn't very tasty and the fish is difficult to clean.OtherHardheads are notorious bait thieves and since they occur in great numbers, it is often difficult to catch other species -- particularly near well fished piers or bridges.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I thought hardheads were people who can't be convinced that they are wrong. My wife calls me that once in a while. What are the kind that were buried in the sand? Tom
Be right up your alley Tom.....fish. Catfish looking thing.
But then again maybe not...nobody wants them.

Peace
Dave

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
A couple years ago, BRV (Before RV), we stayed on the Outer Banks of NC north of where the road ends in Cordova NC. The first time we hit the beach in the 2500HD, we made it about 50 yards before "digging" in. We learned quickly from the locals to drop your vehicle tire pressure done to 20PSI!!! Once we did that we cruised up and down that shoreline, in soft sand, without a problem!! The house we rented was 5 miles north of where the road ended and the wild horses roamed! I WISH we could haul the Big Country up there, it was beautiful!!

jimtoo

I would really like to plan a trip to Padre Island and primitive camp on the beach. I'm worried about getting stuck... with a huge tow bill.

Has anyone made this trip?

As someone that kinda grew up on Padre Island.,, near Corpus Christi, TX.,,. spent many days and nights there when I was a youngster... got skin cancer to prove it... You do not want to try and tow your trailer on the beach. You might tow it there, but you might not tow it back without help. The beach can change in a matter of less than an hour..from tide to wind and just because it wants to.

Padre Island National Seashore has an area that is kinda paved,, kinda not paved,, but pretty safe for boondocking. That is the only place that I would consider taking my trailer. There are other rv parks in Port Aransas and on down the island (Mustang Island, Northern part of Padre Island) where you can have all facilities and just walk over the dunes to the beach.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
ditto what jimtoo says. I won't camp on the beach with the RV due to the corrosion caused by the salty air and salt water spray, not to mention all of the sand getting in every crack and crevice. I would much rather stay a few blocks from the beach and drive over for the day. JMHO