Observations from an RV"ER at a parking lot sale.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
My dad (a developer) told me one time that Realtors, for the most part, make money by accident. He explained that they really don't work at there chosen profession but rather wait for a deal to fall in there laps. I've spent some time in sales and understand what he means. Folks would rather stand on the curb complaining how bad sales are rather than work on the "old" stack of contact sheets.

Tonight, Amy and I stopped by a parking lot RV sale at our local Wal-Mart. The local dealer had a few brands including the new Torque, Big Country and some SOB'S. I, of course, was wearing my Heartland Owners cap. As we were looking, we ran into some people we know. They were with a sales rep and the husband remarked (right away) "How did you get that hat?". I explained that I was a Heartland chapter leader and all they needed to do was buy a Heartland and join our club and I would gladly give them a hat or visor of their choice.

We continued looking at the rigs and ran into a salesperson as we were leaving. He wanted to know if he could help, we explained we were Heartland owners but really wanted to see the new units. I commented that the Torque should really fill a popular spot in the market place. His reply was "we will see".<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>
I guess my whole point in this rant is that while we were there nobody offered to show us any features or benefits of any of the units Heartland or otherwise.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Guess my dad was right “salespeople” really do make money buy accident.

DuaneG

I agree. Sometimes sales people get a commission and do nothing to deserve it. I usually do my own research and when I purchase big items, I select who does the paperwork or who will help me. I will not hand my money over to lazy or rude sales people.

I have walked away from many businesses in the past and usually end up buying from a different location. And it has always worked out better in the end because I feel better giving money to people who actually earn it.

Thats_Ok

Odd you would bring this up Cody.
We actually ended up with our very first TT because of a WalMart parking lot show from a dealer.
This of course was back in 1995, yet the sales guy there invited us up to the dealer lot to have a look at a better selection.
I remember we sat in the nice 26 footer at Walmart for 30 minutes or so with the salesman and had a great time :)

We did bite, and purchased a 28 footer that we loved dearly!
All because of a hard working professional sales person who gave us a more than fair deal.
The beginnings of an RV love affair...

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dave,
I know what you mean. Good service and finding folks that actually know (or care) about the products they sell, is becoming rare.

BTW, I'm picturing that Walmart right now. Trace

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
How about learning the product. How many sales persons cannot answer a question about their product? I bet most RV dealers do not train their sales persons about their product and about the only thing the sales persons know how to do is open doors (front door, baggage doors, cabinet doors etc). When you ask them a question like how big is the holding tank or water heater, or what size refrigerator is there or what size tires are on it or what is the carrying capacity of the axles or where is the water heater bypass, or what size is the converter; they cannot answer it. Then many dealers have the know-nothing sales person do the walk-through (PDI). Go figure.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
DW loves asking RV salesmen questions that they can't answer and seeing their reaction. She usually knows more about it than the normal sales rep. We just can't stand it when they don't know their product. Sometimes we will ask a tough question that we know the answer to just to see if they will shoot straight or lie to us. I would rather be told I don't know but will find out than lied too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
That's funny! I love to play that game and Mark just stands back with a smile on his face.

Kristy

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We came across a salesperson that had just started. Used to sell RVs 15 years ago, now back in the biz. "Times sure have changed" was said alot! Knew nothing about the 5vers shown to us... Better learn quick!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jo9463

Andy is right when he says I ask them many questions. He just sits back and watches the salesmen reactions. There are times they look at him when they answer, but Andy usually tells them to tell me because I'm the one deciding which floorplan we go with.

jimtoo

A while back we were visiting a dealers lot and was looking at the new models. We went into a new Landmark that was parked out front, all the lights on, everything decorated and looking good,,, but.. NO A/C running and it was hot. So I ask the person showing the rig, (sales manager) why no A/C,,,,,, and I quote... "Oh.... we don't have 220 here at this spot,,, so the A/C will not run on 110." So,, do you think he knew anything else about the unit? :) I really think they need to make all ,,, especially the sales managers who train the sales people live in a unit for at least 30 days.

Jim M

Peteandsharon

I agree that product knowledge is the key thing lacking. But that is true in all industries. We just purchased Sharon a new Ford Escape last week. But the lead up was interesting. Talking to sales people that did not know what option came with what trim level was frustrating. But as far as the enthusiasm of the sales people I can't say that I saw much difference. In fact I saw something that absolutely creeped me out. When we went to the dealer where we ultimately purchased the vehicle the first thing that I noticed as we pulled in was that there were a good half dozen sales people waiting outside the door. We werent even out of our vehicle when they descended on us like locusts. So clearly, they were hustling but it was too much for me. Let me at least get into the building and take a breath before you attack....please. Now having said that, they were doing big business. So maybe it works better than I give them credit for.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It's alway sad when Pat and I know more about HL products than the salesman. I love to put them on the spot. At least they could get a brochure and read it.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I found our Cyclone advertised on Craig's List.
It turned out that it was a trade-in at a big dealer in Knoxville and a salesman had taken some pictures and posted it himself. I was impressed with his ambition. Obviously he was rewarded for it with a sale!

Sumo

OUCH, that really hurts guys. I'm a "Salesman" I know the products I sell inside and out.
I'm also aware of my competition.
I believe you are confusing a salesman with someone in sales. To totally different people.
One is their to educate his prospect, the other to collect a commission.

They are very easy to tell apart once you ask a few questions.
PLEASE don't confuse the two.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
OUCH, that really hurts guys. I'm a "Salesman" I know the products I sell inside and out.
I believe you are confusing a salesman with someone in sales. To totally different people.

Since you are a 'saleman' you know what it being discussed. Congratulations on taking the initiative to learn your product. To many do not which give the others a 'black-eye'

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired

Jim's exactly right. Good for you taking pride in your profession. I do too. Problem is we are in the minority. Last time we went vehicle shopping the "salesman" tossed me the keys and said "we'll talk numbers when you get back". Seriously, that's the extent of your presentation.

Should have "making money by accident" tattooed on his forehead!!

kowAlski631

Having a career in sales is different from being a salesman. We always ask how long someone has been doing that before we go forward with any major purchase be automobile, boat, home, or RV. We want a professional working with us - not someone doing sales until a job in their field opens up. Harsh, yep! But it's our time & money.

Saildogs

We have been "invisible" many times on showroom floors or lots. Tracking down a salesperson to ask a question that cannot be answered is annoying.

I have to say that our recent purchase of the new truck was a very good experience. The salesperson knew his stock, both new and used, and worked with us for several hours discussing options and models. There was NO pressure to purchase from the dealership and all our questions were answered so the new truck went home with us that day. As a result, the dealership will be doing the service on the new vehicle as well as another of our vehicles. Good sales people who know their products are much appreciated.

Theresau

I've experienced being "invisible" when I'm alone checking out a vehicle that is for me. When that occurs I will not deal with that dealer. I am also very aggravated when a salesman only wants to speak with my husband when I'm asking the questions.

This seems to have improved some in recent years.

Theresa