Storage Question

Linc

We have decided to purchase a Road Warrior and I was wondering about storage. If I store the 5th wheel outside under a roof, do I need to worry about mice and other critters?

jnbhobe

I am always concerned about mice and critters getting into our rig. I put mouse poison I get from the exterminator up in the clorplast.

jimtoo

Hi Linc,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I live in South Texas, I have never had a problem with mice and critters. The unit is parked next to our house under a cover, and we do have an outside cat, (now 2 and some wild ones). We do keep the house and outside sprayed for bugs and stuff. A lot of folks do use the dryer sheets and some other things to help keep the mice out, but we live in the South and are in and out of our unit all the time. It's not like we close it up for 6 months till the snow melts and all this time the critters and mice are looking for a place to stay.

So,,, what you need to do is get your Road Warrior ready and hit the road.. travel to the South... Texas... in the winter and go back in the summer.

I'm sure you will get some more suggestions from our other family members soon.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M

evolvingpowercat

If your unit is like mine it left the factory with a lot of small openings small critters can get into the RV thru. A mouse can enter thru a hole as small as a dime. I crawled under my TT and sealed up all the openings with latex caulk from below and spray foam from above in places with access like under the stove, in the pump compartment, and underneath the water heater (via winterizing valve access panel) and have had no problems with any mouse signs during winter outdoor storage. Of course, don't tempt fate and leave food in the TT while in storage.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I covered/filled every opening I could find and still got mice,whether we were using the rig, had our two cats with us, or in winter storage. I found they used the dryer sheets for TP.

Last spring, I sprayed the undercarriage with Mouse-free and they've stayed out.