Sat hookup

Gas20

Just wondering if anyone has had trouble running their sat cable through the outside connection port that goes into the rv. I cannot get any signal to my direct tv receiver if I use the prewired cable. It will work just fine if I hook it up direct through the window. I got a direct tv service guy and he said that their signal will not go through the splitters in the rv now. Does anyone have an ideal on this. I don't know if the guy was blowing smoke or not.

FlyerChief

You will find several threads on here about this. I had the same problem. Usually it is a bad coax connection where the cable meets the back of the fitting....either outside or inside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

danemayer

Hi Gas20,

If he was talking about the cable connection, he's essentially correct. That connection and the over the air antenna come together at a signal booster that's often located in the bedroom. Satellite signals don't get through that booster and may also get blocked by the splitters used there and in the basement.

If you have a separate satellite connection, that should work with Directv or Dish signals. But it's not unusual to find connector problems. Check for loose connections, or for strands of the ground shield in contact with the center conductor. It's pretty easy to replace the connectors with compression type connectors like the satellite companies use. If you scroll down this page, it shows pictures of connector installation. Just need the toolkit and a couple of connectors. Or you can have the dealer fix it under warranty if that's more convenient.

I don't know about the Elkridge, but many of the larger 5'ers have four satellite connections in the UDC. One pair goes to the living room and the other pair to the bedroom. The right-hand connector of each pair goes to pre-wiring in the roof and the left of the pair goes to the destination. It's pretty easy to connect the cables in the wrong order on the back of the UDC. So if you have that setup, try all 4 connectors.

Gas20

Thanks every one I will set up the dish get it going then start playing around with it. Thanks you've been great, Gary

hoefler

You have to have a dedicated coax for the satellite signal. Booster will kill it and over the air signal will scramble it. If you rig is not pre-wired for satellite, you will need to provide a dedicated line.

ATLJOHN

Hi Gas 20
I had an issue with bedroom hook up and found that the connection was loose behind CDC wall. I just had to tighten it up and all worked fine.
Also I was not able to my second dish at my home using a receiver from my house not sure why but read on the Internet it would not work with a second dish. But works fine at campgrounds away from my home

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
You have to have a dedicated coax for the satellite signal. Booster will kill it and over the air signal will scramble it. If you rig is not pre-wired for satellite, you will need to provide a dedicated line.
using a diplexer just before the coax enters the booster/amplifier will allow you to hookup using thexisting coax connection.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
here is the link to the thread with diagrams and instructions//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/30234-SOLVED-Satellite-TV-Hookup-question?highlight=diplexer