Towing 2013 3010 with Lifted truck ????

Robbdogg

Anybody towing a Cyclone with a lifted truck ? I have a 6" lift with 35's. I have seen quite a few people towing with lifts ??? Any help ? Thanks

porthole

Retired
There is no way with a 6" lifted truck that the trailer will be anywhere near the correct towing height. The trailer is already 13' high. If you raise the trialer you will have at least two new issues. Excessive height and and a new way too high center of gravity.

I would also be concerned about the undue stress put on the truck with that kind of lift.

DW_Gray

As Jim mentioned, the only option to tow and keep the lift is to use a tow dolly (drop axle) like the Automated Safety Hitch System. Currently it's the only system on the market. Otherwise, you'll need to remove the lift from you truck.

szewczyk_john

Believe it or not, at the Richmond race this past weekend, I spotted a GMC 2500 diesel that looked like it was lifted between 4 and 6 inches It was towing a fusion toy hauler that was also lifted. I remarked how unsafe such a combo must be to drive. Then on Sunday morning I saw it flying by me on route 17 doing about 70 in a 45 MPH zone. I can not even think about how steep that loading ramp must be.

DW_Gray

Believe it or not, at the Richmond race this past weekend, I spotted a GMC 2500 diesel that looked like it was lifted between 4 and 6 inches It was towing a fusion toy hauler that was also lifted. I remarked how unsafe such a combo must be to drive. Then on Sunday morning I saw it flying by me on route 17 doing about 70 in a 45 MPH zone. I can not even think about how steep that loading ramp must be.

Owners can and do whatever they want to with their rig even when there is complete lack of road and individual safety mindedness.

wiredawgchief

I would buy another truck to tow one of these. Lifted truck don't have the stability and a blowout is bad for anyone, but would be a train wreck with large tires. My Cyclone is 13'4" to the top of the AC unit. Almost 14' would be too tall. Safety first for all of us. Ron

Two inch lift with 33 s (3500 Chev). Also two inch lift (correct track) on 5th(Big Horn 3185RL) and 235/85 tires for another half inch. Still legal height just.

ParkIt

Just remember that not all underpasses are at 13' or marked well, that includes power lines, phone lines and city data lines.
I had to use the truckers crossing to go in and out of Vancouver B.C. in my previous RV due to that almost 13" and our HL is at the same height so there are plenty of places to leave your AC unit - or worse.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Its 13'6" in the US but not all overpasses are that. It can be really bad in the eastern part of the US.

porthole

Retired
Any bridge over a public roadway that is not marked should be over 13'6" clearance.
Any bridge under is supposed to be marked.

Utility wires are all supposed to be a minimum of 14' over roadways.

DW_Gray

Sometimes, even the posted bridge clearance sign can be wrong. I was in upper New York about 3 years ago and came to a sudden stop because the bridge sign stated the clearance was 12' 11". As I sit there contemplating how I was going to back out of that situation and studying that the bridge appeared to be higher than the posted sign stated, a big rig came right on though without slowing down. The trucker announced to me on the CB radio that the sign was wrong and I was clear to go through.

Last edited:

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Also check for new or recent road topping (asphalt or concrete). In some cases, they will mill off 1"-2" of old road surface and put down 3"-4" of new surface, and never change the sign.

jnbhobe

I'm pretty sure most federaly funded roads ( Interstates ) are at least 13' 6" to 14' like Duane said.

porthole

Retired
Sometimes, even the posted bridge clearance sign can be wrong. I was in upper New York about 3 years ago and came to a sudden stop because the bridge sign stated the clearance was 12' 11". As I sit there contemplating how I going to back out of that situation and studying that the bridge appeared to be higher than the posted sign stated, a big rig came right on though without slowing down. The trucker announced to me on the CB radio that the sign was wrong and I was clear to go through.

Reminds me of an incident with a $350K ladder truck we had