Squeaky hinges

Cyberdave

So, it's late at night and I open the bedroom door and a movie sound effect kicks in squeak, low grinding... Thought I entered the Bates motel instead of Hotel California...

What's your favorite hinge lube? On our old rig, I used some light machine oil or dry silicone. But none of the tricks I've used before seem to work on these.

A very good friend of mine hangs antique heavy doors and tells me to only use wax. You remove the hinge pin and submerge it in melted wax, leave it sit, remove and let cool off. Re-install and it's lubed for a very long time. Worked well on hinges that you could remove but not so sure on fixed pin hinges.

Eddhuy

I use a silicone spray lubricant for the hinges.

Just the other day I was watching an older movie with a squeaky screen door. It got me to thinking, boy I sure miss the squeaky screen door sound. The squeaking and then the door screen slamming, being pulled shut by the spring. It reminds me of my uncles dairy ranch, fun times were has as a child there.

olcoon

I've got the same problem with our bathroom door. I even took the hinges off and sprayed a lot of lube in them. Helped for about 2 opening & closings then back to the same old thing.

Eddhuy

You might try graphite. I use if for locks but it works well for hinges as well. It is exactly what the name implies, a very fine black powder, graphite, that lubricates well and usually lasts a long time. Just try to avoid getting on what you don't want it on, it's like powdered pencil lead.