Removing the black streaks

tbs

I know the answer is on here somewhere already but I will ask again. What is the best way to wash off the black streaks on a camper? Thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I use Awesome. But, using it full strength may remove your protective coating of any wax you have applied. If you have a good coat of wax on the trailer, plain old zip wax car wash will do a good job maintaining the finish and removing the streaks.

olcoon

One thing that really helped us with the black streaks is that we bought the extensions for the drip gutter. By extending the gutters out, it keeps the water that runs off the roof away from the 5er and cut the black streaks down dramatically! Also at a rally we won some cleaning stuff & one of the things was Black Streak & Bug Remover made by Thetford. It's a package with moistened wipes in it & works pretty good for the black streaks & bugs.

Eddhuy

It does not take a very strong mixture of Simple Green to easily remove the black streaks, makes removing them mostly a simple swipe with a damp cloth. Some required a small amount of work.

gebills

We use a small spray cleaner from Camping World; seems like it is Thetford brand black streak and bug cleaner, about a quart in size, with trigger spray. If memory serves correctly, it was about 6-bucks a bottle, so I grabbed a couple bottles and threw them in the RV basement in the appropriate storage tote. Easy to grab and clean as needed, where needed.

TXTiger

I haven't tried it yet but have been told that dawn dish washing soap works good. Does anybody use this? I am going to give my rig a wash on Friday before I pull out on Monday heading from Calif to the rally in Gettysburg.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I made up a 50% solution of LA Totally Awesome in a spray bottle and used it with a microfiber towel to clean off the streaks before washing the rig.

sjs731

I used to use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers but since I started polishing our rig with Rejex now the streaks wipe right off while washing the rig.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HappyKayakers

I saw someone else post that Pledge furniture polish did a great job. I tried a different brand and it worked great, also on the vinyl trim around the caps.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We found a product called Totally Awesome at the Dollar General store for around $1.00 that works great.

aatauses

I used a bottle called Orange Product---however can only get it in shows--it worked great---I tried to get some on line, but the shipping was way too much. I do plan to get more when I get to a show as it is the best I have ever used.
al
currently in Kenai, AK

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The one I found that works best for me is....the black streak remover from Wal Mart amd it really does a number on removing bugs from the front cap.

Tony, I only use Dawn when washing the Horn.

tmason

There is a product by Car Brite called Beetle Juice that can be purchased through their distributors. Its a concentrate and one gallon will make about 11 gallons. It works great on bugs and black streaks. FYI - Car Brite is a commercial grade line of products that's not sold at retail.