Pin Out

Rick

Hello all, I am in the process of running a 50amp line for the coach and haven't been able to find a wiring diag for the pinout of the plug comming off the cable from coach to house power.I checked owners manule and couldn't find it. If anyone has any idea where I could find it I would appreciate it. RICK

glen

Good morning, i assume that by pin out, you mean which pin goes to hot, neutral, ground. Is this correct?

Rick

Yes that is what I ment. I know how to wire the box that the coach plugs into,And I also know that the coach is probably wired as such, Just wanted to eyeball it, before I put the juice to her. Rick & Sandi (TIN CAN TOURISTS)

glen

afternoon, something you might want check before you buy a bunch of stuff is the size of breakers in your 5er. i know Montana uses one twenty amp and one thirty amp breaker, therefore when i installed a shore power box, i ran a single 50 amp circuit and split it at the box, that is neutral to neutral, single hot to each hot , and ground to ground ... in this way i only needed one fifty amp breakers and 6 guage - two wire, plus a ground in accordance with NEC code Article 551 - Recreational Vehicles and Parks - VII. 551.71 thru 552.60.

Or if you have say two thirth amp circuits in the 5er and you want to run smaller wire, you could run two thirty amp breakers in your main panel and run 8 guage - three wire, plus a ground to your shore power box. Your may also need to check local code to see if the variance is permitted.

I realize that you only need 10 guage ... but RV systems would tend to overload a 10 guage neutral, therefore 8 is recommended because the loads are ussually not balanced per circuit. If loads were balanced, then 10/3 would be ok up to 100 feet. :D

Rick

Glenn thanks for info.That is basically the way I went. I used 60amp breaker at house power running to single 50amp box using 6 gauge for the two hots and neutral, and 8 gauge for the ground. Rick & Sandi (TIN CAN TOURISTS)

bowtorc

I am wanting to run a cable from the hitch to the convertor so I can run the generator in the back of the truck while driving. I plan to hook the #6 cable to the convertor box. One hot to each hot, one ground to the coach and one nuetral to the nuetral at the box. Is this correct?

Thanks

jbeletti

bowtorc,

Sounds about right. I believe you'll have to tie the two hot wires together unless you have a 50 amp receptacle on your generator. You'll also have to install a switch inline (manual transfer switch) for the feed coming from the hitch. If you don't you'll feed power out that circuit when you are connected to shore power.

Be careful, best of luck and keep us updated. I'd like to do the same as you so I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you.

Jim