2012 Mega 2500 and a Road Warrior 400RW

rbmedic75

Hey everyone I have been searching around on here trying to find specific info and have came across a lot of good info but nothing that directly answers my questions (same models) I have a 2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn Mega cab, diesel Automatic 68rfe . Obviously this is a 6"4" box SRW. My wife decided she wanted to buy an RV and start making more family time and road trips while the kids are still home 4yr old and 14 yr old (god love her) we swayed towards the toyhauler's immediatley (yes she said I can get a new toy to put in it also LOL) polaris ranger 900 Crew expected 1300 lbs on the rear of the RV that will help with the pin weight lol.

But anyway, the trailer we have came accross that we really like worries me a bit in the weight department. Road warrior 400RW tri axle, 14' garage, fuel station, patio set up. we have looked at some bigge,r some smaller, some cheaper, some more $$ and really like this one and the price is pretty good because its a 2012 model still on the dealers lot. Dry weight is 15,202 GVW of 18,000. pin weight I cant remember of top of my head. Am I bighting off more than my truck can chew?

I am intimately familar with the suspension components of the Ram as well as the drivetrain. The truck is not Stock Tuned and currently has 35" E rated tires on it. 3:73 gears. Understanding 4:10 gears would help a lot and that may be doable but this is my daily driver truck as well. I do have the ability to tune the engine and the trans to maximize capability (Minni Maxx with OD tunning available). I love the truck and it is not going anywhere anytime soon. Am I asking for trouble and is that trouble with weight tickets or handeling of the RV. I would have no long term problem putting performance pieces on the truck to include a dually conversion if need-be but that would not happen before June which we hope to be our first trip (round trip 5500 miles) full synthetic fluids not a problem. Building the truck to handle the weight long-term not a problem. My concern is I dont want to buy the trailer and head out on this 17 day trip and have a big problem that ruins the trip. Your experience and thoughts are appreciated.

jimtoo

Hi rbmedic75,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I am sure you will be over you weight ratings for your truck. It's not if you can pull the trailer,, it's can you stop it and maintain control of the unit.

I'm sure we will have some more folks jump in with their ideas also. There is a really good weight calculator available here.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi rbmedic75,

The RW400 pin weight is listed at 3200#. That spec is typically for an empty rig with no options. You can check the payload spec on your Dodge, but I'll hazard a guess that it's around 2700#. Add to the 3200 the weight of your hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, passengers, and any additional pin weight that comes from loading up the trailer. You could easily end up 1500# over the truck's payload spec. That's a lot.

scottyb

I don't think the power train will be an issue. It's the payload of your truck that will be an issue. You more than likely will not get stopped for it, but it could be an issue if involved in an accident. You will be severely overloading the rear axle and tires of your 2500, with any 18K toy hauler. I faced the same dilemma with the 3500HD SRW truck that I owned when I got the Cyclone. It pulled it very well because it had the same power train as a DRW, just not the stability. It was down right scary in, even a mild cross wind. I knew that I needed a DRW and managed to trade in the SRW for one over the winter.

rbmedic75

How much will loading the garage area of the toyhauler with the Ranger, its 1400lbs help with the pin weight. I would be ok with doing the dually conversion on my 2500 but was hoping not to have to or at least not have to do it in the next couple months. I've hauled heavy with my other rams all 2500 short beds but never an RV or Long distance, just equipment within a 50-100 mile radius. Anyone run the EBC green or Yellow brake pads? Hmmmmmm

Thats_Ok

Hi there,

That's a lot of trailer for a short 3\4 ton pickup IMO.
I might risk it myself, yet I'd have a rough time recommending the combo to anyone else.

Pretty sure a mild crosswind would be a little scary with that kind of weight behind a shortbox pick-up.

rbmedic75

Yeah that's what I was affraid of. Hmmmm well the truck isn't going anywhere so gotta figure out something. I've towed enough to know it would be pushing the limits especially crossing the country with it.

GOTTOYS

Ram Mega Cabs have a VERY limited weight carrying capacity. Even the one ton dually version might not be enough truck to haul that. Wouldn't worry about any weight tickets because you don't have to go through any scales but you will be over on the pin weight by about 2,000 pounds or more and you will be over your combined gross weight limit by about 5,000 pounds. Those 35" tires aren't going to help anything with the additional height they give you. It will be difficult to get the trailer leveled out with the truck sitting higher from those big tires and they will affect your overall gear ratio to the negative side. The engine will pull it but that's about all. I pull a BC 3250 with my 2010 crew cab Ram and wouldn't want to even attempt any more than that..Don

marvmarcy

You have gotten very honest answers and reliable information from the guys with experience. As much as you like your truck, it would jeopardize your family safety to try to beef up your truck, hoping to somehow make it something it will never be. You could go for years without a serious incident, and many people with similar combinations have done so, but in a critical situation you could have a serious accident because your truck couldn't handle your trailer.

I had a 2002 F550 w/7.3PSD with lots of upgrades pulling a 20,000# GVWR fifth wheel, and I was at the GCWR of the truck. It pulled strong, but it was uncomfortable to drive, especially in mountains or cross winds, and hard braking was often scary. After 18 months of not trusting it, I got rid of it. I know my current truck is now overkill, but I got it to tow the 20,000# trailer and am very comfortable with it - besides it gets better fuel economy than the F550 did, rides much better and cost much less.

rbmedic75

Understanding and respect/appreciate all the feedback everyone has given. Being safe is very important to me. Gonna do some more shopping around for the trailer and see what we can find a little lighter. Not looking to beef the truck up but there are obviously things that can be done to improve stability, performance, and safe capability of the truck. Check out the new ratings for the 13 rams. Nothing suspension or brake wise has changed on them to create such a drastic towing increase capacity.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Understanding and respect/appreciate all the feedback everyone has given. Being safe is very important to me. Gonna do some more shopping around for the trailer and see what we can find a little lighter. Not looking to beef the truck up but there are obviously things that can be done to improve stability, performance, and safe capability of the truck. Check out the new ratings for the 13 rams. Nothing suspension or brake wise has changed on them to create such a drastic towing increase capacity.

The increase in the 2013s (not available yet) is mostly in the torque converter/transmission. You can pick up a new 2012 Ram 3500 bighorn edition with 4x4 and longbed dually for $40,000 right now. I'm sure you could get a decent trade in for your Longhorn and maybe not be too upside down. By the time you modify your 2500 to get you closer to what you want you will be upside down and not really have what you need. I know it would be a lot to give up that Longhorn package, but.......
Good Luck with your quest

GOTTOYS

The increase in the 2013s (not available yet) is mostly in the torque converter/transmission. You can pick up a new 2012 Ram 3500 bighorn edition with 4x4 and longbed dually for $40,000 right now. I'm sure you could get a decent trade in for your Longhorn and maybe not be too upside down. By the time you modify your 2500 to get you closer to what you want you will be upside down and not really have what you need. I know it would be a lot to give up that Longhorn package, but.......
Good Luck with your quest
2013 Ram 3500 is a brand new truck under the sheet metal. It has a new frame with more cross members, different suspension, Aisin transmission from the H.D. cab and chassis versions, and more. The 2500 series did not get those mods and it shows in the tow ratings. Up until 2013, all Rams, especially the Mega cab versions of the Ram are sorely lacking in load carrying capacity even in the 3500 dually series in comparison to Ford/GM. There are no modifications that would bring it up to the 2013 level..Some of the 2013, 3500s that were ordered months ago are now starting to show up at dealer lots. All it takes is $$$...Don

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I don't think the power train will be an issue. It's the payload of your truck that will be an issue. You more than likely will not get stopped for it, but it could be an issue if involved in an accident. You will be severely overloading the rear axle and tires of your 2500, with any 18K toy hauler. .

Negative ghost rider. 2012 Dodge uses the same axles and brakes in the 2500 and the 3500. All of the suspension hardware is the same with the exception of the leaf spring. Might be one more leaf in the pack. But nuts bolts and brackets are the same.

Dodge Dually won't stop any quicker then a Dodge SRW version loaded.

Tires would be his only issue. Suspension is addressed with bags or helper springs.

He'll have no issue with that pickup unless he suffers from the RVer's paranoia syndrome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Heck, I just realized this is Buck. I bought 150hp injectors from you about 3 years ago, after I got them flowed and balance when I blew the last head gasket I found out they where only 40% over. Approx 70 to 80 HP tips. It really didnt bother me as I was still making 50 to 100 more then most guys running 150hp tips.

Anywho, make a long story short. The kid that bought that pickup from me made 760hp with it by switching to EFIlive. There was room for more but has held back due to the stock rods.

scottyb

Negative ghost rider. 2012 Dodge uses the same axles and brakes in the 2500 and the 3500. All of the suspension hardware is the same with the exception of the leaf spring. Might be one more leaf in the pack. But nuts bolts and brackets are the same.

Dodge Dually won't stop any quicker then a Dodge SRW version loaded.

Tires would be his only issue. Suspension is addressed with bags or helper springs.

He'll have no issue with that pickup unless he suffers from the RVer's paranoia syndrome.

It doesn't matter. The 2012 2WD has a payload of 2600, less for the 4x4, not counting passengers, cargo, or any type of extra fuel storage. The 400 RW has a 3200lb pin weight, not counting a generator, other options, water, and anything else. It could easily be overloaded by 2K.

My point in that post was it really doesn't matter until it goes to court. Then the numbers matter.

DesertThumper

Yup, you sound like what I went through in July when we bought our 400RW. This is my fourth Dodge I've owned. I traded my 2500 mega cab SRW for a 3500 DRW 2013 for the extra pin weight and stability. Yes, like "GOTTOYS" mention about the 2013 which I have, a total different truck. Some of the other fellas are correct here with their opinions.

I could have kept my 2012 2500 mega cab SRW to tow the big 400RW, but for some reason I could not swallow the math calculations. It di not make me feel good but that's just me. I wanted the stability and the weight concern to be at ease and not to worry my wife and family during our travels. We too will be traveling to MT next year. DO what is right for you and your family.

Like others said here, my rv dealer and friends, the truck will be able to tow it, the problem/concern sits at the pin weight, cross wind, safety and stability especially when traveling across the states.

It was a hard pull for us to trade in both units but we did. The truck was not suppose to be upgraded and my DW took some convincing. I know what your going through. Outside of the towing thing, the trailer is great! You will be happy with the 400RW. I have pics of our setup in our photo gallery. I had to adjust my hitch plate though which now sits at 6 1/2 inches from the top bed to the bottom of the fifth wheel at pin box area. Hope this helps.

Al

DW_Gray

rbmedic75, The powertrain is not a problem for towing the RW 400. But the load ratings for this truck will not carry this RV. There are 3 options available to you. 1. Get a bigger truck. 2. Get a smaller RV. 3. Read the article about the Automated Safety Hitch System.

porthole

Retired
I have yet to read where the specs of the Automated Safety Hitch System increases the GCWR of any truck - what am I missing?

Besides that it is not truly an automatic hookup as every piece of literature and video suggests, more of an assisted hookup. And in watching all the videos, I see it as a matter of time before there are body parts between the connections.

Although this looks to be something that fills a niche for some, this is not for everybody and at a cost of over $10K, will see limited use by the average RV'er.