second small fridge in W/D space

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
While we are planning the move from a Doubletree 36TK3 with plenty of space, we're considering where to install the small refrig that we currently use. In the Doubletree, we use the W/D closet for it, and then we installed a wire shelf unit for storage in there, as well. In the 3055 we are waiting for, we've thought about the W/D area in the front to place the small unit. My concern is the heat that is generated by the small unit. Has anyone used this area for another small fridge? The small unit can be kept very cold and we like to stock-up on our favorite stuff and have the fridge unit to supplement our regular fridge. I'm not putting it in the basement because of other items that will most likely be using all the space.

ChopperBill

Sounds like a good idea if its an all electric model. Not sure I would put and propane/electric one in there though. We seldom have power as we mostly dry camp but its a pretty good idea if you do though.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
While we are in a Landmark, not a 3055, we have installed a 5.0 cu ft freezer in our w/d closet, which is a separate closet. We have no air circulation problems, so I would think that you would be fine in the front open closet area, which should have even more open circulaton. Good luck.

v92c

Texan
I added a 5 cubic foot upright freezer to my W/D area also. And mine is a full closet. We havent had any heat issues. And really enjoy the extra freezer space.

Tony

madigand

We also have a small chest freeezer in the front closet where the washer/dryer would be. On some really hot days (100 +) we would leave about a finger space on each mirror door, from being totally closed,and that provided more than enough air flow.

sgtbigb

W/D space

One of the first thing we did was to look for a small upright frezzer for that space. We found a 7.3 upright frezzer from sears web site that fitted the space perfectly. We use it to store fish we caught and to make ice to use when we left for home. it works wellNone

azbound

Goldenwingers said:
While we are in a Landmark, not a 3055, we have installed a 5.0 cu ft freezer in our w/d closet, which is a separate closet. We have no air circulation problems, so I would think that you would be fine in the front open closet area, which should have even more open circulaton. Good luck.

My wife loves your idea of a small freezer in the W/D closet. My only concern is when you travel how well does the stuff in the freezer keep if I am with out A/C power for up to 8 hours and ofcourse don't open the door? Do I need to put in some dry ice.

Gary
azbound

jpmorgan37

We carry a 5 cu ft freezer with us everywhere. No problem with anything defrosting. It goes for up to 10 hours and the ice cream is still just fine. We keep it nearly full all the time which helps. If it starts to get a little low, a few 1/2 gallon milk bottles filled with water and frozen takes up the empty space. As full timers, we like to take advantage of Sam's Clubs meat department and buy in larger quantities. Also buying things like Scrapple, Taylor Pork Roll and Cheese Steak meat when we're back east is neat, cause you can't get it when you're out west. Ever try to find Perdue chicken in Denver? Every place has it's specialty and we like to take it when we go. It is a handy addition.

John

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
John has answered you best as we have solar power that will run the freezer during our travel time. Measure well when you look for a freezer. We did and then still had a slight problem, the measurements on the internet did not include the freezer coils on the back. Fortunately we were able to remove a facia board, that was covering a wire run, and made room for the freezer.

timk

We just leave the inverter on when on the road. Our extra fridge uses very little juice, even when its running, and if its already cold it only cycles on every now and then. But it does put out a bit of heat though.