Replace Norcold with residential fridge

trawler10

Tired of dealing with our nearly new (less than one year old) Norcold 1210IM Fridge. Dealing with the manufacturer is very troublesome and as we are full-timers seriously considering removing the Norcold and replacing with a residential model, more efficient, less cost, etc., and am not concerned about dry-camping so do not require propane (have Honda genny). Anyone out there successfully accomplished this and if so what make/model did you use. Have a neighbor here in our park who has done so and loves having a decent fridge in his fiver. Thanks ... Bob

danemayer

Hi trawler10,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

If anyone has gone residential, I'm sure they'll fill you in on the details.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GOTTOYS

Residential refers are now available in Landmarks as well as some of the Forest River brands and probably others. The ones I have seen operated off of an inverter and two or three batteries. From what I understand they don't that much power...Don

bdb2047

I am in process of doing this now.Have installed inverter and wiring .Have ordered a Samsung RF197.I have talked to 1 person who has done this and they are very satisfied.i will take pictures and post when completed.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bob, I haven't done it yet but a few years ago I was having the same thoughts. I took measurements and found several options both in stores and online for a suitable replacement. Online there were models availabe that weere frost free and ice makers but these were more money. In stores like Home Depot, Lowes or Sears there were models in stock but not frost free.
Since the 120 outlet is already available in the rear, all that would be needed is a plan for anchoring and trim around the front. It seemed like a pretty simple swap.

trawler10

I think, after reading comments in several different threads that I will install baffles in the area behind the fridge (it is in a slide so no roof vent causing poor circulation) in order to move more air over the cool pack and install two muffin fans, one directing air into and thru the lower vent and a second moving air up the plenum (if that is what you call it) ... have not decided yet whether to run these fans on AC with a on/off switch located in the louver area of the lower air intake vent or simply use a pair of DC fans which run continuously but will get about 60 days use before battery replacement... appreciate any and all comments/advice and suggestions.... thanks much, Bob

icechex

We put a residential (frost free) in our old 5th wheel (and are thinking about one for our Big Country). Anyway, in the old 5th wheel the residential worked fine - and we didn't install an inverter - we just put it in and trimmed it up, plugged it in and had no more problems. In the Big Country we will have more of a challenge (since it's new) but I plan on having a stainless steel unit installed somewhere down the line. Btw, anyone interested in buying a four - door Norcold Refrigerator - let's see, I think I'll ask $5. Ok, ok, how bout I pay you $150 to come get the piece of junk out of my rig. lol