Cat scale experience

Gas20

Just took my truck loaded with wife and zippy dog, full tank of diesel to the cat scales at TA truck stop in Vero Beach. I went in and spoke to the young lady behind the counter about weighing my truck. She wanted to know what my truck number was. I told her I was not a commercial truck that I only wanted to weigh my 2500 pick up. She looked out at my truck and said it was not heavy enough. I then said you need to ask see someone who knows about the scale. Then a young man said that he could weigh my truck but it would not do separate axles . I argued with him that it would and he said he did not think it would but to try it anyway. Well I did and went back inside and got the same girl again. When I asked for the weight slip she again wanted to know what my truck number was, I again told her I was not commercial but in the 2500 truck. She then said that she told me that my truck would not be heavy enough. Well at this time with steam coming out of my ears and handfuls of hair, I said look no one has been on the scale just give me the last weight slip. Low and behold there was my weight slip. So my wife says "are you sure you won't to come back with the Elkridge" and for a moment I had to think real hard about it. God how do these people run this truck stop. Those poor truck drivers how do they get by.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
The dumbing down of America in action. It is alarming how uneducated and or stupid people can be. And where is the manager? Training program? Don't get me started! What were your weights?

Gas20

Steer axel was 4800, drive axel was 3020, and gross weight was 7820. The truck is a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500, 4 x 4,6.7 liter engine.

Westwind

It's not just truck stops - it's everywhere. Your right where are the Manager's? Why aren't they monitoring and training they personnel. It's really really scary out there.
Soooo Glad I'm Retired! Just think we could have to work with them.

sjs731

If you look at some of the managers they don't look any older or smarter than the people they are managing. Back to the topic though, that sounds similar to my weight on my GMC. I once bought fuel and they wanted my DOT number to which I replied I m not a commercial rig. The lady just told me I should have just taken a number off another truck out there. REALLY?

Steve and Carrie
HOC#2252
Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

Gas20

Yea the young woman appeared to be in her 20's and the guy she went and got also appeared to be in his 20's. Man what an experience. I drove commercial over the road for couple of years and don't remember the employees in the truck stops being like these two. I couldn't believe these two. About 30 or 40 years ago I would have blown my top right there in the shop, I had no patience what so ever, but now I just shake my head and laugh in amazement.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When I want to weigh my rig I pull up on the scales and tell them RV1 when they ask for a number. Then I drop the trailer drive back on the scales and tell them RV1 Reway. When I am done I go in and tell them I need my weights and pay for it. I never have gone in and asked if I can weigh. It use to be $7.50 but the last time I paid $9.00. Inflation is getting to us everywhere.

BC

olcoon

Want to really throw them for a loop? Pay for something that costs less than $20.00, & give them a 20.00 dollar bill. After they give you the change, tell them you gave them a $25.00 bill. Most of these kids will look all over for the $25.00 bill! The other day I paid for something & it was around 2-3 dollars & change. I gave them the exact dollar amount & didn't have the correct change, so I gave them like a quarter & a dime. They didn't give me the change & when I asked for it they didn't even know how much I'd given them. I told the guy & he got out his phone to use the calculator! I had to tell him how much change to give me back!

DW_Gray

Wow. How frustrating. Definitely a problem with customer service and training. I will forward the link to this thread to the Marketing Director at CAT Scale. I suspect she'll take an interest in this.

donr827

They are used to weighing commercial trucks so the first thing they ask for, in my case, is the truck number. I just use a number like 11 and no problems.
Don

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Remember M.S.U. = Make Something Up. It will work in most cases. BTW when they enter the info in the computer there is a blank that says 'truck number' and they most likely have been told to fill in every blank. They do not know how to do it because they either have been trained or do not know how to think for themselves. Sad to say common sense is lost today because too many people let the computer do the 'thinking' for them. If you really want to mess someone up buy something for 9.51 and give them a $10 bill and then a penny after they have entered the $10 as the amount tendered give them a penny. They won't know what to do.

flyfish

I just bought my first Hartland and was very helpful info guys, thanks. Oh yea, its a NT Caliber 30RKDD....plan to do local pulls with my F150, but need to get some wt figures.