Full Timers Question

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
What do you full-timers do when you need to have work done on your rig but are on the road? Since I purchased this new San Antonio from Camping World and not my local Heartland dealer, I have gone to the top of his Du-Du List and the bottom of his Customer Service List. He's made it clear I won't get the same "great" service I had on my old Landmark which I had purchased from him. That means I can't leave the trailer for a day or two and have everything done. I have to travel to a Camping World closest of which is 200 miles from me. Not a problem for small service but what if it has to be kept overnight. How do you handle leaving your trailer when you are on the road? This past week I took my rig into Camping World in Charleston for some work. One of the "problems" was one of the mcd blinds. The spring is broken and has to be replaced. Because I was on the road, heading home, they were not able to order the part. How do you handle this kind of travel problem?? Thanks, Keith

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We tend to fix things ourselves...have MCD ship the part to you and repair yourself. Fulltimers really need to be handy. We have only left our rig once, and that was at the factory.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Kathy is correct about being handy. The other thing you can do is call HL and they can find a place to do repairs for you. Might even be an independent shop close to where you are. HL will send you parts if need be. Always have your VIN# handy when you call.

aatauses

I agree with above, we try to figure what is broken/incorrect--call HL and have them ship the part to whatever rv park we are located--HL and other vendors (trail-air, dometic, etc) have been great as far as the part being shipped. We have had to leave our rv a few times and have made arrangements with local hotels or traded a time share. Several repair places will allow you to camp in their parking lot if you give them a heads up about your situation.
al
currently in Kenai, AK

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Fix what you can. If you are not handy, find a good "repair only" shop.
Many are authorized by HL to do warranty work. Check with HL first to make sure they will cover it.
Most have allowed us to stay in the rig and give the highest priority to fulltimers.
Repair is their bread and butter, so they are normally much better than dealers, who's main focus is sales. Trace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

shovelguy

In the six years we have been in our rig, my DH has fixed everything that needed to be fixed except once when we needed brake work which we just took into a local tire place. You are right about needing to be handy if you are fulltiming.