Countertop Scratches

JanAndBill

Our corian countertops seem like they scratch very easy, or else because they are dark they show the scratches. Any suggestions as to a polish that will help??

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it behaves like the older Hanex countertop HL used in the past, scratches can be sanded out by lightly wet sanding with progressively higher grits, starting with with 220 or 320 and ending with at least 1000 grit. Then use a polishing cream ( not compound) and ending with a paste wax, like Macguair's.

After thieves dragged the TV and their worthless a$$es over my counter, the process took care of the nasty scratches they left.

JanAndBill

The scratches so far are very light, not something that really needs sanding out. The only time you really see them is if the light is right on the dark surface, more annoying than anything. What are you using as a polishing compound?

ParkIt

Try HD if there is one close to you or a company that sells Corian and ask them what they use. If I remember correctly there is a product that you lightly rub on and let sit for a couple of hours then buff it off, it fills the light scratch marks so to speak.

guyc66

The following is from the Dupont website for Corian:

Countertop Repair Technique — Removing Blotches
You may notice that the surface of your countertop is starting to look blotchy. Typically, this is caused by letting hard water to dry on the surface, leaving behind a film of minerals. To remove blotchy appearance or fine scratches, follow these simple steps.
Check to see if blotchiness is gone. If not, repeat procedure, applying more pressure on the sponge or rag.

1. Pour some mild abrasive liquid cleanser, such as Soft Scrub®, on a damp sponge or cloth and rub over area, using small circular motions, from the front to the back, and then from side to side, overlapping the circles until the entire area has been cleaned.
  2. Thoroughly rinse the countertop with clean water and wipe surface completely dry.
  3. Repeat this process over affected areas until all film is removed.
Countertop Repair — Removing Fine Scratches
Because the solid beauty of Corian® solid surface goes all the way through the material, it can be sanded and renewed. You can remove minor cuts and scratches yourself by following these instructions.

1. Wash (but do not dry) the area where the scratch is located, using the cleaning technique described above to remove any film on the surface, as this film may clog the abrasive pads. (See the Corian® maintenance sourcing list below for details on abrasive pads and other products.)
  2. With the countertop surface still wet, start rubbing the scratched area with the peach-colored side of the cleaning pad. Use a light touch. Pressing too hard may actually leave deeper scratches. Rub over the scratch, using a straight-line motion.
  3. Periodically, switch rubbing direction ninety degrees. Rinse pad periodically during this process, to remove any built-up residue. Be sure all of the scratch is removed.
  4. Clean your countertop with water and dry thoroughly. Check to see if the sanded area blends with rest of countertop. Please note that the sanded area may not perfectly match the rest of the countertop. If necessary, turn the pad over and repeat the process. Rub over large area to blend in sanding.
  5. If needed, continue the sanding process using the Aqua- colored pad, and if necessary, the Gray-colored pad, until the desired gloss level is achieved.
  6. Rinse out all pads used and allow them to air-dry before putting them away.

There’s Always the Professional Option
When confronted with a stubborn scratch or cut, contact the Authorized Corian® retailer from whom you purchased your Corian® solid surface product, or engage any Authorized Retailer to repair your countertop. Contact your Corian® Retailer or DuPont to arrange for professional refinishing.

The following is from a Hanex distributor website:

Removing Persistent Stains
  • To remove persistent stains, cigarette burns or scratches: Scrub the stained area with a mild abrasive cleanser using blue Scotch Brite™ pad.
  • Deep scratches can be eliminated by carefully sanding down the damaged area with a 120 grit sandpaper, followed by a 220 grit, finishing with a 320 grit sandpaper. Finish by lightly rubbing the surface with a wet, blue Scotch Brite™ pad in a circular motion to restore the finish. Note: different methods can be used depending on the finish.
  • For deep scratches and/or other damages which may require an expert repair, please contact your Authorized Hanex Solid Surfaces Repair Agent or Certified Hanex Solid Surfaces Fabricator.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The scratches so far are very light, not something that really needs sanding out. The only time you really see them is if the light is right on the dark surface, more annoying than anything. What are you using as a polishing compound?

If you go to an auto supply store, look for polishing CREAM, not polishing compound. If you use compound after fine sanding, you'll be going backwards. And the ScotchBrite pads they recommend aren't worth diddly in removing scratches.

Trenk

I use Gel Gloss, it isa multi- surface polish and protector, you can buy it at Lows. It works great at removing small sctraches

JanAndBill

Thanks all, going to see if I can find the Gel gloss at Lowes. Our Corian countertops at home are 7 years old and get a lot more use, but they are a light color. They get scratched with use, but it just doesn't show up as bad. Didn't think about that when we were looking at trailers. The dark color countertops look good, but they show everything.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I understand the Bighorn will now come with light countertops again, because of the scratches showing too easily on the dark. :( I personally like the dark, but realize this is a downside. I'm going to Lowes to get some for our dark counters in our ElkRidge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

Are you sure you have Corian and not Hanex?

My home countertops are Corian, I know because I bought them special for a custom kitchen. Since the installation, Dupont sent out a repair service to correct a problem on the installation. I just assumed they were Corian in the Bighorn, but should have known better. That could be part of the reason for how easy it is to scratch??? Not all solid surface counter material is created equal. In any case I picked up bottle of Hope's perfect countertop cleaner/polish. Will advise how it works.