Issue With New Big Country - Replacement Sink Not Porcelain but Plastic

Theresau

We requested a porcelain sink IPO of the vessel sink. This is an add'l build option. We got most of these add'l build options (day/night shades, separate hydraulic valves).

We went last evening to the dealer to review the RV again (it arrived last Thursday) to check on something else and we did a quick review (counting fingers and toes) again and found that the sink in the bathroom is plastic rather than porcelain (in the solid countertop - it's definitely not porcelain).

This may delay our picking it up which is scheduled for this Tuesday. Dealer plans to contact Heartland tomorrow.

This really floored me...

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The sink in my new Landmark is plastic, or some sort of formed resin...in a solid counter top.

Theresau

Thx for letting me know.

I just checked Standards specs for Landmark and BH - no longer state that porcelain sink is standard. That reallllllly surprises me.

The BC comes with a vessel sink but you can option it to a porcelain sink...

Theresau

:) I just can't imagine how difficult it is to keep it clean. It's cute but........ I was really happy when I saw that there was an option to get an alternative - without that we would not have moved forward.

Anything would be better than that stupid vessel sink they used. We hate ours..Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've never heard of a Porcelain sink in any RV of recent years. The plastic retains it's luster pretty easily though. After all, ours isn't used for dishes or pots & pans, just brushing teeth and hand washing. :eek:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
So did our 2008 Bighorn...the one and only disappointment in my Landmark...but if that's the worst I have to deal with...I'm a happy camper!!

ParkIt

We like the vessel sink but then again, husband likes to dunk his entire face while shaving and usually smacks his head on the faucet in smaller sinks or counter top sinks. It doesn't happen with the vessel but it I have to clean it more often.

The only porcelain sink we saw today at the RV show was in the $300,000 plus RV units. The rest are either stainless steel or fiberglass formed though plumber son is going to replace our stainless steel with a composite this fall.

Theresau

I agree but the porcelain was a luxury item that I am surprised was replaced. Our TT had a plastic sink and I felt we had arrived with the BH porcelain sink. (And Heartland at that time made a big deal of such.) However, the add'l build options for BC state porcelain sink IPO the vessel - but I've decided to just move forward. Hopefully that's all we find as an issue during the inspection :).

I'm finding that there are new goodies in the 2013 and 2014's but some of the earlier goodies are no longer there. For example, the 2010 BH's frame was powder coated. The new frames are now coated with a rust inhibitor............

So did our 2008 Bighorn...the one and only disappointment in my Landmark...but if that's the worst I have to deal with...I'm a happy camper!!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
When we ordered our 08 big country, it was an option of porcelain or plastic sink which we got the porcelain. When we ordered the 12 big country, the only option was the plastic or vessel sink. We took the vessel sink cuz we had problems with the plastic sink on an older camper & didn't won't to go down that path again. We have gotten used to the vessel sink, finding more room around the sink for stuff.