Anyone replace the 12v lights with flush LED's?

ParkIt

One thing that has always bugged me about our unit are all the 'bubble' dual switch lights throughout the unit but it has the frosted LED's over the entertainment slide out, not sure what happened there but I want to replace all the bubble lights with the same factory LED's.
Has anyone done this and if you have, how did you do it?
Did you fish a line down the wall for the rocker switch?
And last, are there any gaps where the old one was and the new one is fitted up? (I have an idea for that, simple fix)

Any help would be appreciated, those lights gotta go!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have the OEM "bubble" lights with the standard 1141 incandescent bulbs, you can replace just the bulbs with LED's and not the whole fixture. I've changed all of mine, along with the dual base wall sconces. And today, I replaced the three G-4 lamps over the sofa with G-4 base LED's. The only interior incandescents left are the reading lamps, the dining table lamp, and the stove hood. They'll get changed later, when I find the right ones.

MCTalley

I had the same idea on our BC. I take it the fixtures you are talking about are only switched at the light fixture itself? In our case, there are switches in the switch panel that turn ours on and off, so wiring would simply be unhooking from old and hooking up to new. However, in discussing with Jim Beletti, he noted that the pancake lights have several screws holding them to the ceiling that will leave visible screw holes in the ceiling after you replace with the new fixtures. The ceiling material is difficult to "fix" to cover the holes, unless that's the idea you have, in which case I'd be interested in hearing about it.

ParkIt

MCT, that is what I was wondering and yes, they are the dual side switch on the light and wall itself. Totally spaced on the wall switch that can also turn them on and off (duhhhh) thanks for reminding me for that (yep, feel stupid at the moment).

Anyway as far as having to 'cover' any excess opening is to use the fixtures that have the 'flush' ring of residential HID lights. I had one left over from when we remodeled the house and removed one light from the unit, they would fit and are $6 each at HD right now. No need to buy the bulb, I just want the fixture. It would be the pancake LED with a flat ring on the ceiling with a 1" bracket on the inside of the ceiling that won't move. I'll try to find time this week to pull one of the pancake LED's over the entertainment center and see if the screws would line up with the brackets that sit inside the ceiling, with any luck they will line up.

ParkIt

I don't like the bubble covers...especially the one under the cabinet right over the sink. I keep smacking them and the plastic cover pops off then I'm usually swearing...no one wants to hear that, really. It just seems like the ceiling looks too "busy" with them but if you look at the 2013 models the ceiling looks a lot cleaner so to speak.

I will have to fish two lines down since the lights over the recliners and couch come on at the same time if you push the switch on the wall and I can't reach the lights to turn them off one by one because I'm too short. I've been using a bamboo stick when sitting below them but I have to be careful so it doesn't slide off and scratch the bottom of the cabinets. Did I mention I'm a total clutz? ;)
If you have the OEM "bubble" lights with the standard 1141 incandescent bulbs, you can replace just the bulbs with LED's and not the whole fixture. I've changed all of mine, along with the dual base wall sconces. And today, I replaced the three G-4 lamps over the sofa with G-4 base LED's. The only interior incandescents left are the reading lamps, the dining table lamp, and the stove hood. They'll get changed later, when I find the right ones.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I changed out two of the pancake lights that were under the cabinets.
I cut the holes with a razor knife.
Here is before and after.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367850316408.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367850316408.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 152
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367850347825.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367850347825.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 147

ParkIt

I changed out two of the pancake lights that were under the cabinets.
I cut the holes with a razor knife.
Here is before and after.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Thanks Dave. I called Heart Land and they are less expensive than another link posted though HL has a 4½" or "smaller" (for some reason the parts gal couldn't find the measurement on "smaller" but its Monday), I was transferred to the service department and my terrible at names person said there shouldn't be a problem with any excessive opening or clearance. He also said we may want to order just one and swap it out to see how it fits, kind of baffling since I'd rather pay shipping for all of the ones we want to change and not just one. What size did you use?

Very nice with the glass wine racks btw, it looks much better without the pancake light fixture :)

evolvingpowercat

I put 1.5 Watt LED on the first half of the two sided fixtures and left the 10 Watt filament bulbs on the second side (they are wamer light and brighter than LEDs, that give out a pure white light). I found a web site dealextreme.com that sells 12 Volt 1.5 Watt 63 Lumen bulbs 2 for $ 8.40 with free shiping. They come from China so they take a while to show up after you order them. They stock over 1,000 SKUs of 12 volt LED light bulbs. I ordered from them last year and have only had one of 10 bulbs all purchased for $ 42 fail so far so at this cheap price per bulb I can live with that. I just ordered a warm white light strip and 12 volt dimmer to mount over the center of my slide out soda to augment the two lights on the ends that were OEM installed by Heartland so that there is enough light for reading at night. Only $ 11 for both!

12 volt bulbs that fit the standard Heartland fixtures: http://dx.com/p/1-5w-12v-63-lumen-21-led-car-turning-signal-white-light-bulb-pair-48241
Light strip: http://dx.com/p/10w-1050lm-3000k-1-...spotlight-lamp-yellow-silver-dc-12-14v-195839
12 volt dimmer: http://dx.com/p/xy-d-rk01-mini-manual-led-light-strip-dimmer-beige-12-24v-189633

aatauses

Hi JohnDar,
I have the 1141's on the ceiling of our BH 3670 and want to replace with LED---how did you cross reference the number? What number of LED should I purchase?
thanks
al
currently in Kenai, AK

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
What size did you use?
The lights that I used are 4.4inch.
So 4 1/2 inch would be the common name.
If you currently have the pancake lights, the only holes you will have now is a small hole for the wires and the mounting screw holes.
You will need to cut a circular hole for the new fixture. Just trace it out in the position you want it and cut it out with a razor knife. Then fill the old screw holes.

Peace
Dave

ParkIt

The lights that I used are 4.4inch.
So 4 1/2 inch would be the common name.
If you currently have the pancake lights, the only holes you will have now is a small hole for the wires and the mounting screw holes.
You will need to cut a circular hole for the new fixture. Just trace it out in the position you want it and cut it out with a razor knife. Then fill the old screw holes.

Peace
Dave
I wonder if I'll find the same on the ceiling though from what I can tell, it should fit without having to cut a larger space. Kind of thinking there are some that will have larger openings than others but I won't be doing anything until we have all the work done at the shop first. (Yes, I do know to make sure the base isn't against any material in the ceiling. Fire hazard. Fire=bad)

Again, thanks for the help :)