Generator

Gas20

On 5th wheels like my Elkridge it is pre wired for a generator. Where do they put it? Under the belly or in the hatch in the front behind the tv? Just curious.

danemayer

On the Bighorn and Landmark, Generator Prep is an option that adds a transfer switch and some other things the rig to prep it for a generator that goes in the front compartment. Generator Prep and the Generator Options are not shown as options for the Elkridge.

Gas20

Just curious the build sheet or the options say it is pre wired for a second air conditioning unit in the bedroom and is prewired for a generator. My unit is 50 amp wired.

jnbhobe

If its wired for a gen set there should be a sheet metal inclosure in the front compartment, a lot of rigs are prewired for front AC. To be suer call heartland customer service with your serial number.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Gas20, it is perwired for the 2nd A/C standard. Gen prep has always been at an extra cost. If you paided for it....then it should be there.

Gas20

Thanks everyone, I am not going to get a generator as I do not dry camp unless it is necessary and would be cheaper to go with something like the Honda generators no more than I would use it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Good plan. With the genset from the factory you loose alot of storage in the front compartment. Get 3000 or 4000K genset and you will be good to go. You just cant run everything at once like plugged in at a CG.

marvmarcy

We use a pair of Honda 2000s. I tied a 30a rv power cord to the generator prewire junction box in the genset compartment. The cord snakes around stuff to the street side LPG compartment where it hangs when not in use. It plugs directly into the Honda Companion generator. With this 30A cord in front and the 50A cord in back, we can hook up to power front or rear. I like to set up the Hondas under the truck in front of the trailer where they are out of the weather and out of sight.