New air bags

Gas20

Ya hoo! Just got my new Firestone Ride Right air bags put on. Can't wait to tow the rig and see how it tows.

FiremanBill

Cool! You are going to love them! I just put a set of AirLift bags on mine and it makes all the difference in the world!

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I have had them for 3 years and wouldn't be without. Huge difference and welcome to the Elk Ridge family.

Snow

Yea I know how you feel I installed mine last Saturday and haven't got to try tham yet other then hooking up in the driveway I bet I've hitched and un hitched at least ten times HA ! HA! Add Air , let air out ,add air let air out ,at 30 psi it drops about 2. 1/2 " at 40 psi about 1 1/4 " air lift 5000 , hopefully by Friday at 9:00 am i will to try them out ,short trip about 60 miles but should tell me something . ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

ncrzrbk

Question for those that have installed air bags. My Ram 2500 sits level with the Sundance 3400qb while hitched up. I have noticed that it bounces some while towing. Do the air bags help with the bounce or just level the truck. Was also wondering if better Bilstein shocks is a better ride. Thanks for any input!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FiremanBill

Mine squatted a little without the bags and did the happy dance over bridges and such. The air bags have certainly helped settle the ride down. I have very little bounce now.

I did put on a new set of Bilsteins at the same time so can't say how much is contributed to each.

Rrloren

The air bags solved the chucking problem for me , also leveled the truck. I run with 25 psi for my Sundance and it is about right. You will find that the pressure should be less than your desired pressure when loaded. For me I pressure them up to 15 and they are at 25 when hitched.

Sumo

The air bags solved the chucking problem for me , also leveled the truck.

I have been noticing the chucking more and more. It would also be nice to have a level truck when hitched to North Trail. Looks like a set of Air Bags would fix both problems.

mdamerell

When I'm hitch I'm about a 1/4" off the overload springs and it feels like I get an extra bounce when I hit a bump and the over load springs engage. I take it air bags would help this issue. Has anyone used the Tinbren system? I'm pretty level at the moment so I'm not really concerned with changing the ride height. I realize I'll have to raise the bed a little to move away from the overload spring.

jnbhobe

I would do the airbags I have had the Timbrens they made for a rough ride

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Snow

Don't know about timbrens but I just got back from Bethpage campground this weekend about 200 miles one way and my AIRLIFTS did a great job about 40 psi and no chucking that I could tell but I'm new to 5 ers so I'm not sure what chucking really feels like , all I know we came up interstate 64 65-70 mph and it was a smooth ride I still caint believe the difference between a TT and a 5er I'm pulling about 8000 more lbs then my old set up about 21,140 lbs to be exact , I just wish I had a bigger fuel tank LOL anyway I'm sure you will like airbags . ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

DuaneG

I had timbrens and liked the ride when towing better than without. I still had some bounce issues when unloaded and felt like they were bouncing me up, so upgraded to air bags and like being able to adjust when needed. There was some improvements but not what I was hoping for. I may go for a new total suspension but I am trying to figure out what will work best.

I have owned many trucks and never had one ride so rough. I have had others look at it and it moves more than other similar models so not sure what's going on. Maybe manufacture defect or wrong suspension for my model.

I have a 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel 4x4. So if any one had similar issues and were able to fix please let me know how. I have a lot of money invested and not wanting to buy a new truck.

KiwiRVer

I have timbrens and there was a definate improvement in the ride when towing. When not towing the timbrens are not engaged with the axle so make no difference.

jimtoo

When I'm hitch I'm about a 1/4" off the overload springs and it feels like I get an extra bounce when I hit a bump and the over load springs engage. I take it air bags would help this issue. Has anyone used the Tinbren system? I'm pretty level at the moment so I'm not really concerned with changing the ride height. I realize I'll have to raise the bed a little to move away from the overload spring.

You have exactly the same problem I had with my 04 GMC DRW. I installed the Firestone airbags. I also removed from the frame of my truck the brackets that the overload springs contact when you hit a bump or the overloads engage. This stopped the noise, extra bump or bounce and made the ride a lot better. By removing the brackets, you don't have to mess with changing the spring pattern or U-bolts. I think 3 or 4 bolts in each bracket to remove. I pulled a 3055RL and kept about 25--30 lbs air in bags LOADED. Unloaded about 5lbs. The 3670RL I now have I keep about 30-35lbs loaded.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Don't know about timbrens but I just got back from Bethpage campground this weekend about 200 miles one way and my AIRLIFTS did a great job about 40 psi and no chucking that I could tell but I'm new to 5 ers so I'm not sure what chucking really feels like , all I know we came up interstate 64 65-70 mph and it was a smooth ride I still caint believe the difference between a TT and a 5er I'm pulling about 8000 more lbs then my old set up about 21,140 lbs to be exact , I just wish I had a bigger fuel tank LOL anyway I'm sure you will like airbags . ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

Believe me if you had chucking you would know it. Chucking feels like something is kicking you in the rear on and off or pushing you in the back on and off. It gives you a real jerky ride.