purchase North Trail 26lrss or 29lrss

JacieB

We are purchasing a new North Trail nxt week. I am having second thoughts about which model to purchase and as to whether or not the
Caliber Edition is worth the extra money. We are leaning toward the 26lrss because it is a little shorter, but are nervous we
won't have enough room. We were wondering if current owners have any thoughts or suggestions for us. Thanks.

jimtoo

Hi JacieB,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get some opinions here soon from our other family members.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

RuralPastor

We are purchasing a new North Trail nxt week. I am having second thoughts about which model to purchase and as to whether or not the
Caliber Edition is worth the extra money. We are leaning toward the 26lrss because it is a little shorter, but are nervous we
won't have enough room. We were wondering if current owners have any thoughts or suggestions for us. Thanks.
Hi JacieB,
We have the Caliber 265rls (same as North Trail Caliber 26rlss). My wife and I spent 4 months living in our TT after selling a home. We did this through the winter, as well. There was plenty of room for us to spread out. We removed 2 of the 4 chairs, added a narrow bookshelf, area rugs, coffee table in front of the couch, and we did just fine. The 26rlss is a fantastic layout. It is easily maneuvered into tight quarters, and pulls very well. We have 15000 miles on ours. We would buy another one just like. Just our opinion. Make it work for you, and for your situation. Mark and Cindy.

berky

We too have the 26LRSS and have been extremely happy with it. While we can't hold a candle to RuralPastor in terms of time spent in it, it has all of the space we need for the two of us and our hyperactive lab.

A couple of thoughts after looking at the 29LRSS floor plan and specs:
- It looks like half of the extra length went to the bathroom and hallway. The bathroom in then 26LRSS is cozy, but it looks like you may be giving up the bedroom drawers and closet to get that roomier bathroom.
- How will you be using the TT? If you prefer state and national parks, the 26LRSS is the most I would want to take there. If you frequent RV parks, length is generally less of an issue.
- You will need a 3/4 ton or better truck to pull the 29LRSS. That dry tongue weight of 750# will become 1,000# after options, batteries, propane, and cargo. That's really over the limit for just about any 1/2 ton TV.

Let us know how else we can help you. Best of luck with your decision and Happy RV'ing!

Don_Carol

Jace,

We also have the 26LRSS and are very happy with it. The layout is prefect for us.

Berky mades some great points concerning the pro and cons of the 26 vs 29, some I didnt even think of.

Great post Berky!!

JacieB

Thank you... We had thought about the bathroom vs bedroom storage and have been waffling a little on that as the bathroom is so cozy. We actually have not physically seen the 29 except in pictures/floorplan. We also have opted for the table and chairs versus the booth. We are newly retired so haven't done a lot of rv'ing except for family vacations with kids and grandkids, our trailer and lots of tents! I think we would like to visit some state and national parks so that is a big consideration. We have a very "unhyper" greyhound, but she is rather large so nice to hear that you have a dog also. We have a 3/4 ton K2500 duramax diesel already so at least we don't' have to worry about towing. Our dealer said they would put a gas piston on the bed so it would be easier to keep open and get things out of it.
We have had 3 awesome replies so far and I think we are going to stick with the 26. You have all eased our minds. We are going from a 1993 Sunline Solaris with tons of storage to this one and they are sooooo different it is hard to compare.

Thanks again.

Jace and Jane

berky

Man am I green with envy over your Duramax. :p

Good call by your dealer to put in the lift cylinders for the bed. I have the parts to do it myself, but it's on "The List" with a half dozen other projects. And I think you'll like the table/chairs in place of the dinette. DW wanted that and she's very pleased.

I trust you'll find there's ample storage in the 26LRSS, as we have. I was really surprised how much I could fit into the overhead cabinets in the living, dining, and bedroom. And for me (Mike) I really like the big space and big door in the pass-through at the front of the trailer.

Best of luck with your purchase. We look forward to hearing from you once you hit the road.

JacieB

We got very lucky with the duramax purchase. We were in the dealership Hubby used to work at years ago before vocational teaching, looking for a car for me. They had just taken this one in trade so he ended up with a newer truck and I'm still driving the same car. Now we had the choice between another car or the trailer so looks like I'm driving the car a while longer.
We did decide to stick with the 26LRSS, thanks for the input from everyone. Can't pick it up for a few weeks because we are busy with family obligations. Still nervous, but we'll see.
First major trip is family vacation in July! Wish us luck.

J

pegmikef

We have had 3 awesome replies so far and I think we are going to stick with the 26. Jace and Jane

Great decision. We have really liked our 26 LRSS. Last year we actually went to Boerne and looked at the 29 LRSS and were really disappointed. We were hoping for more room and storage. Granted there was a pantry, but the bedroom was actually smaller. The living area was a little more roomier because the bathroom is moved a couple of feet towards the rear so it doesn't jut out. Another thing that irked me was that they moved the hot water heater from under the kitchen sink to the basement thus reducing the basement storage. All in all, we decided not to "upgrade" for the couple of extra feet. We pull ours with a Ford 3/4 ton Diesel and it pulls like a dream. I would recommend a WD Hitch and make sure it is adjusted correctly per the manufacturer's instructions. For some reason a maladjusted WD hitch really seems to adversely affect the sway control on this model. Maybe it is the wide trax. Correctly adjusted though and there is virtually no sway.

JacieB

Thanks for the tip. We had a WD hitch with our last trailer. Have another one now from a friend who sold his trailer. We'll make sure we pay attention to the correct adjustments.
Thanks for letting us know about the 29LRSS. I think we are going to be happy. At any rate, I can't complain at all or my 3 sons, and wives, have threatened to not talk to me for 2 years! :) Some of them are hoping it rains on the family vacation so that they can hang out in the new trailer! :) Hmm, hope it handles 8 adults, and 6 kids, 3 years to one month!
We were watching the weather! Hope everyone is okay and the tornadoes missed you all!

Jace and Jane

JacieB

Proud to say we are now new owners of 2013 North Trail 26LRSS. Picked it up yesterday and still can't quite believe it is parked in the driveway. Thank you for all the input from everyone. Now to figure out where to store all our things! The fun begins! :)

Jace and Jane

berky

We're happy for you. Brings back memories of bringing home our 26LRSS and parking it (with some newbie jockeying) in the driveway. I spent three days just "playing around" and packing it full. Enjoy! And get to a campground ASAP! ;)

Stargazer

Hi Everyone!!

My dealer just informed me that the 2014 26LRSS are rolling out. Does anyone know about any notable changes for 2014? Thank you in advance!!