I-81 N Harrisburg Pa

bdb2047

Truck fire this morning has caused 81 N to be closed at Harrisburg Pa They say it will be least thru weekend but not sure at this time.Tolls are being waived between Carlisle and HBG East on Pa Turnpike.Just a heads up if traveling that area.

dieselsweetheart

Ya it was quite the mess and a lot of the overpass is now ruined. The truck was incinerated...just about unrecognizable. Those are bad curves on those roads and if you aren't paying attention...he was carrying diesel fuel. You will have to avoid 81/322 until further notice. Getting around the city is a nightmare and people are reporting anywhere from 1-2 hours delay in getting home. Lucky for the driver he got out with some burns, but I bet he's going to see a pink slip very soon. But he's lucky he wasn't killed.

TXTiger

I just got to Nashville, TN staying until Sat. Taking I-81 north from TN to the Gettysburg Rally. Not sure where this accident was. Looks like it is north of Gettysburg closer to Harrisburg. I have to pick up friends in Harrisburg next Tue or Wed who will be attending the rally with me.

jnbhobe

You don't have to go that far Tony, the airport is close to the turnpike I think you will be clear but some others from the area will know better

tcfake613

An update on the road closures. I81 will remain closed northbound and southbound THROUGH THE WEEKEND. The affected overhead span was so badly deformed it must be immediately removed. This will take some time. I've attached a pic of the damage on the underside of the span.

Coming north take I76 off of 81 at Carlisle (PA Turnpike East) to exit 247. Take I283 north to 83 north to 81 north to bypass this.

There was a fire on Turnpike eastbound during rush hour and that road was closed also but is now open. My son's school bus has been trying to return from a Lacrosse game for over an hour. Things are still extremely congested even at 10:45 at night.

Anyone traveling 81 this weekend check the local news sites for updates (abc27.com).

IMG_2290.jpg

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Hey thanks guys for keeping us informed. I will be travelling I-81 next Friday to get to Gettysburg so I am keeping and eye on the situation even though I believe I get off before the mess for Route 83 South.

truknutt

Committed Member
Hey thanks guys for keeping us informed. I will be travelling I-81 next Friday to get to Gettysburg so I am keeping and eye on the situation even though I believe I get off before the mess for Route 83 South.

I-81 S to Exit 70 (I-83)...I-83 S ((as you cross over the river (near Exit 43) you will see it referred to as the Harrisburg Expressway.)) The expressway becomes PA-581. Take PA-581 to Exit 5B (US-15 S). US-15 S to the exit for PA-116 (Hanover Road). Turn left at the end of the ramp and under the overpass. IMMEDIATELY you'll see Roaring Springs Water Company on the right....Entrance to Drummer Boy is across the street on your left.