Adding a Few Doors

ncc1701e

DW insisted on a few doors to the new Sundance. I had to agree and really felt that the unit was not complete. Heartland if you happen to read these post, the number of compliments on how much better the coach looks now is high. Everyone who has seen the unit thinks it had a finished look now, like the factory forgot something in the start.

Attachments

• DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 460
  • Bath B 2013.JPG
    Bath B 2013.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 444
  • DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    455.6 KB · Views: 451
  • Living Room Door.JPG
    Living Room Door.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 410
  • DSC00036.JPG
    DSC00036.JPG
    671.1 KB · Views: 427
  • Bath D 2013.JPG
    Bath D 2013.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 394

ncc1701e

Nice work! Did you build them or buy them ready-made.

I found a very helpful rep at Heatland customer service. Ordered the doors premade, stained, with all the hardware. I only had to mount the hardware and make sure that I told her correctly left or right for the hinge milling. Was a really easy process overall.

jbeletti

Wow Tom - very nice! Bet Millie is a real happy camper.

I don't like open cabinets and cubbies either and I can only surmise that by not adding doors, the price point is kept down to keep the coach more competitive. Most people will NOT add the doors like you did. Nice work. See you down the road.

rick_debbie_gallant

Wow Tom - very nice! Bet Millie is a real happy camper.

I don't like open cabinets and cubbies either and I can only surmise that by not adding doors, the price point is kept down to keep the coach more competitive. Most people will NOT add the doors like you did. Nice work. See you down the road.

Makes no sense in my mind for heartland not to put doors on for price point reasons. Same goes with some of the fixtures that are used to save a few bucks "to keep the price point low" We had to replace both the kitchen faucet and bathroom faucet within one year of purchase. also replaced the china bombs after two years. The ladder could use some better support. I will stop here. sorry about the negative posts and the hijack of the thread. did i mention the plactic check valves

ParkIt

Looks very nice and probably nicer when traveling since you can close up the doors now and not find stuff on the floor.

I'm thinking about changing the cabinet door on the entertainment side to a sort of framed mesh door for the kitty litter boxes (less than 2 and they fight), unfortunately there isn't anywhere else to put them and no way to cut an access to the storage below. Did you order them from Heart Land or did they refer you to someone else?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Love what ya'll did. Now I know Millie is really happy and what a difference it makes. Great job Tom.

ncc1701e

Looks very nice and probably nicer when traveling since you can close up the doors now and not find stuff on the floor.

I'm thinking about changing the cabinet door on the entertainment side to a sort of framed mesh door for the kitty litter boxes (less than 2 and they fight), unfortunately there isn't anywhere else to put them and no way to cut an access to the storage below. Did you order them from Heart Land or did they refer you to someone else?

I worked with Customer Service at Heartland, ask for Michele.

jbeletti

Makes no sense in my mind for heartland not to put doors on for price point reasons. Same goes with some of the fixtures that are used to save a few bucks "to keep the price point low" We had to replace both the kitchen faucet and bathroom faucet within one year of purchase. also replaced the china bombs after two years. The ladder could use some better support. I will stop here. sorry about the negative posts and the hijack of the thread. did i mention the plactic check valves

Rick - thanks for not doing a full thread hijack here. Manufacturers decide what they'll put in their RVs in terms of products. Consumers will vote on those decisions with their wallets - deciding what RV to buy based on product decisions a particular manufacturer made. For the record, the plastic water heater check valve is an RVIA rule based on the lead content in the brass. I won't name the states here who's laws forced that decision. But we just can't install them at OEM level.

Back to Tom's thread - awesome job Tom!

MookieKat

I worked with Customer Service at Heartland, ask for Michele.

I am looking at the Sundance 3310MK and felt the same way about the open cubby holes. It really bothered me to the point that I was going to buy another manufacturer. But now that I see you mods, I am thrilled!!

Did you order them to your specs or did they have the sizes pre-made for other cabinets that happened to fit your cubby holes?

jimtoo

Hi MookieKat,

They will want your VIN and locations plus probably pictures of the places you want doors for. They most likely have the doors, or can get them very quickly for you. Maybe Tom will jump back in with a little more information for you.

Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

Jim M

ncc1701e

I am looking at the Sundance 3310MK and felt the same way about the open cubby holes. It really bothered me to the point that I was going to buy another manufacturer. But now that I see you mods, I am thrilled!!

Did you order them to your specs or did they have the sizes pre-made for other cabinets that happened to fit your cubby holes?

I ordered the doors directly from Heartland. The customer service rep I worked with was Michele. When you call have your vin number handy and if you happen to know the color scheme it will just help a little. The only issue is they will not do custom sizes. So the only opening you can put doors are the ones that are the same size as some other opening. With that said, for two of the doors on either side of the bathroom sink, I actually bought dresser drawer fronts and they work great. Heartland milled all the doors and panels for hardware. When working with Michele, I did take pictures of existing hardware and sent them to her. She then was able to match the hardware exactly. Everything looks like it came from the factory.

iawoody2

Time to revive this post for anyone looking to finish off their coach. We did this exact addition thanks to Tom.

ncc1701e

The limitation will be that you have to buy doors of stock size. Heartland will not make custom size doors. So it may well work out that a door will not be found for every opening. We had two openings that a door was not available for. My contact at Heartland Customer Service was Michele Poell. She was absolutely great to work with.

What areas are you looking to install the doors in? I might be able to speed up the process a little for you. Does your bath have a shower or shower/tub combo? Call customer service and ask for Michele Poell (two Micheles in customer service).

Tom