Under bed tile

Bob Vaughn

I decided it was time to put the tiles on the bed platform. While I had the mattress off I got underneath it and put wd40 on the sliding part of the steel tubes for the slide out.

IMG_0892.jpg IMG_2298.jpg

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We did the same thing a couple of years ago - using the stick-on tiles. Sure makes making the bed a lot e-z'r and looks good. Oh by the way - ya did a great job.

Speedy

Looks great Bob! Are you going to put any edging down to prevent the edge tiles from peeling up?

4ever

Did you have to treat the wood before applying the tiles? I was told some time ago that the tiles would not stick well to the wood. Could possibly come off over time.

EandJ

I was getting ready to ask the same question? It seems like they wouldn't stick very well. I know we had a hard time when we put clear shelf paper that stuck to everything except the OSB under our bed.

Garypowell

I did this about a month ago so I cannot comment on the longevity. But I misplaced a tile and tried to remove it and it broke off because it was already stuck.

The fact that there is always some weight on the tile makes me think that longevity will not be a problem.

Looks like Bob did a great job. I just used a utility knife once tiles were in place so some of my lines are not straight hence no pictures.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I did mine, I used a latex primer/sealer on the wood before the self-stick tiles. For the edges, I used the fake wood corner molding applied with thin strips of carpet tape. With the constant load of the mattress on it, I doubt it will come off easily. It's been on for at least a year or more.

dalspot

We used a sealer on the wood also, but at the moment I can't remember just what it was. Tiles were on clearance, almost too pretty to cover up with the mattress!

Karen

Bob Vaughn

After I finished the tile work my wife wanted the edges of the wood trimmed out because she skinned her legs when she walked around the bed....this is what I came up with...
Bed trim.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We didn't seal our wood prior to adding the tile. Still looks good. I used fake wood trim on the edges, but it has not held up well. May need another solution, but it's mostly hidden with bedding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

We didn't seal our wood prior to adding the tile. Still looks good. I used fake wood trim on the edges, but it has not held up well. May need another solution, but it's mostly hidden with bedding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The primer/sealer is recommended for self-stick tiles over wood subfloors (even with a thinset mastic). I've done a couple of those over time, so it made sense to use it. And that OSB platform is about as rough as can be, so any added adhesion promoter is a good thing.
View attachment 24310

olcoon

I was going to put tile on our bed, & figured how many I needed, went to buy them, & opted not to. I was amazed how much they weighted! I decided to use high gloss latex paint to see how that worked out. It works great & probably is as good as the tile with less weight. More "stuff" in the basement!

jnbhobe

I put them on five years ago and they have held up great
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JohnDar

I was going to put tile on our bed, & figured how many I needed, went to buy them, & opted not to. I was amazed how much they weighted! I decided to use high gloss latex paint to see how that worked out. It works great & probably is as good as the tile with less weight. More "stuff" in the basement!

That will probably do the trick, as well. Anything to reduce the "velcro" quality of that OSB platform.

Flapper

Was going to use tile, but had to do something quick as we were leaving for a trip, so I had a new vinyl tablecloth the right size of our king bed. Just slid it under the mattress and wha-la - worked great! Mattress slides perfect, tablecloth stays in place due to the flannel backing and was quick and easy.

ParkIt

The primer/sealer is recommended for self-stick tiles over wood subfloors (even with a thinset mastic). I've done a couple of those over time, so it made sense to use it. And that OSB platform is about as rough as can be, so any added adhesion promoter is a good thing.
View attachment 24310
Of course yours would look good though I hadn't thought to trim the corners, now I am thinking about it. And thinset mastic, my preference over anything else since it has 'give' to it and can go on the top of sub floor material, which is what the bed base is made of nowadays.

Just wondering...the tile looks so good I wonder why you'd cover it up ;)

JohnDar

Of course yours would look good though I hadn't thought to trim the corners, now I am thinking about it. And thinset mastic, my preference over anything else since it has 'give' to it and can go on the top of sub floor material, which is what the bed base is made of nowadays.

Just wondering...the tile looks so good I wonder why you'd cover it up ;)

Cuz it's too hard to sleep on without the mattress :). Besides, it was on sale when I bought it.