Military family needs information and help!

txdds

Aloha, I'm not new to the forum but we've been stationed in Hawaii for the last three years. I've forgotten my user name and email address that I signed up with. :( We purchased our new 3500RL six months before getting orders.....rotten luck on our part. It's been stored at my parents in Pipe Creek,TX. We had to sell our F350 before leaving. We leave the island in 30 days and are returning to Texas. The RV is being serviced right now as this will be our home until we buy a house.

My question...what do you tow your Big Country 3500 with? I have to start all over again with the research. My DH starts work as soon as we arrive so not many days for truck and house shopping. I pulled with an F350 diesel last time. Thinking about a RAM this time around. We will use the BC only four or five times a year however I will be driving the truck full time. If such a thing exists, I would like a smoother daily ride than the F350.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm so stressed with moving and buying a house in a short amount of time. I don't want to make a mistake with rushing out and buying the wrong truck. Seems a little backwards to have the RV first and then match a truck. Life in the military...it is what it is! ;)
Take care,
Debra

jimtoo

Hi Debra,

Welcome back to the forum and mainside. I am sure your previous forum name was "afdds". Before you were Air Force,,, now your Texas plus your initials I'm guessing. :)

Welcome home again,, and I am moving the thread to a better area for help on choosing a truck.

Jim M

txdds

Hi Debra,

Welcome back to the forum and mainside. I am sure your previous forum name was "afdds". Before you were Air Force,,, now your Texas plus your initials I'm guessing. :)

Welcome home again,, and I am moving the thread to a better area for help on choosing a truck.

Jim M

Thanks Jim,
Yes, that was my user name afdds! I tried several times to log-in but can't access my old email address to get my password. Oh well, hoping someone can help me with a new truck!

Rrloren

First. thanks for your service and welcome back to the Mainland.
I'm sure any of the Big three 3/4 tons will work and you may get opinions favorable or not on all three.
By my sig you can see I prefer the Ram and pull a lighter Sundance, probably around 11m lbs. ready to go , with ease and ave. 12.5- 13 MPG. I particularly like the Ram's low rpm to build max torque which is right where you need it. That being said , I wouldn't have anything bad to say about Ford or GM products. Good luck with your choice and welcome back.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Debra, Welcome back to the States and Thank You for your service to our Country!!!!
The 3500RL is a pretty good size rig and I would recommend any brand 1 ton. A dually would be best but a single rear wheel should do you fine as far as capacity and safety.

Welcome Home...

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
Debra, I'm sure that many people have a strong brand preference and will be quite vocal about Dodge or Chevy or Ford being the only choice. We have a 2008 Ford F350 and the primary reason is that I've been burned once by a Dodge product and twice by GM products. Certainly not very scientific but it is a reason. Thank you to you and your husband for his service and your support. We wouldn't be able to enjoy the lifestyles that we do if it wasn't for folks like you.

Whatever brand you buy, you might consider not getting the optional heavy duty suspension on a one ton truck, if there is a choice when you get the tow package. You could add air bags to the suspension and pressurize them when needed for towing. Let the regular springs give you a more comfortable ride when the air bags are not pressurized. here are a couple of links to two popular brands: http://www.airliftcompany.com/products/air-springs , http://www.firestoneip.com/RideRite/KitSearch.aspx .

Good luck with your move back to the mainland.

danemayer

Hi Debra,

I'm a numbers kind of guy and I'd suggest that before you close the deal on a truck, you check the numbers. Any 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel will probably have enough towing capacity to pull your BC, but not all will have enough payload. You'll need a 3500/350 to get the payload into the 3500-4200 pound range, which is likely what you need for your BC. If you look at Dodge, make sure you get the payload spec on the exact vehicle because some of their single rear wheel 3500s have had payload specs way lower than Ford or GM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ParkIt

Aloha, I'm not new to the forum but we've been stationed in Hawaii for the last three years. I've forgotten my user name and email address that I signed up with. :( We purchased our new 3500RL six months before getting orders.....rotten luck on our part. It's been stored at my parents in Pipe Creek,TX. We had to sell our F350 before leaving. We leave the island in 30 days and are returning to Texas. The RV is being serviced right now as this will be our home until we buy a house.

My question...what do you tow your Big Country 3500 with? I have to start all over again with the research. My DH starts work as soon as we arrive so not many days for truck and house shopping. I pulled with an F350 diesel last time. Thinking about a RAM this time around. We will use the BC only four or five times a year however I will be driving the truck full time. If such a thing exists, I would like a smoother daily ride than the F350.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm so stressed with moving and buying a house in a short amount of time. I don't want to make a mistake with rushing out and buying the wrong truck. Seems a little backwards to have the RV first and then match a truck. Life in the military...it is what it is! ;)
Take care,
Debra
We didn't get to Hawaii but it was nicer to be stationed close to home, it is stressful to be moving, packing, house hunting...endless list and overwhelming.
There is no shame in not having a truck for your 3500 with, we didn't pick one up until a year later and bought a 1991 converted ambulance since we aren't going to move the 5th wheel very often and I'm too cheap to buy new then have to put a bunch of extra stuff on it for towing.

I do know a full time tower that has an 05' Ram 2500 4x4 and he's had zero problems towing any unit, dry or full all across the country in all weather. Texas is a great place to pick up a used truck that will have a lot of miles left on it and most likely be set up to tow your rig. Check some of the Equine listings on trucks for sale though you will have to change the gooseneck for a receiver in the bed.

Good luck and good to hear you will be coming "home" :)

jbeletti

Hi Debra,

Thank you both for your service and welcome back to the mainland.

In terms of the truck, I cannot advise you on 3/4 ton versus 1 ton, but consider a 2 wheel drive truck if you feel you will not need 4WD. I believe your ride will be a "bit" nicer, the truck will be lower, the maintenance lower and the cost nicer. Some will argue that you will lose a few $$ when you go to sell it but each has to make their own decision on that. I've towed with a 1 ton 2WD and loved it.

With regard to your user accounts, I can combine them. Just let me know which username you want to keep.

Jim

txdds

Thanks everyone, keep the information coming! Switched over to the ford web site this afternoon. Thinking it's best to stick with the 350 or 3500 2WD for now. I'm having a hard time finding used Ram 3500 that are single wheels. Most have duallies on the back. Will my daily ride be different on a dually?

txdds

Hi Debra,

Thank you both for your service and welcome back to the mainland.

In terms of the truck, I cannot advise you on 3/4 ton versus 1 ton, but consider a 2 wheel drive truck if you feel you will not need 4WD. I believe your ride will be a "bit" nicer, the truck will be lower, the maintenance lower and the cost nicer. Some will argue that you will lose a few $$ when you go to sell it but each has to make their own decision on that. I've towed with a 1 ton 2WD and loved it.

With regard to your user accounts, I can combine them. Just let me know which username you want to keep.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the help....if you could combine the two accounts that would be great! (afdds and txdds) I better use txdds as DH will be retiring from the Air Force in four years. Might be helpful for me to read through all our old posts when we first took the BC out! I think I almost ditched it once....maybe I should rethink the 4x4 wink wink!

wdk450

Thanks everyone, keep the information coming! Switched over to the ford web site this afternoon. Thinking it's best to stick with the 350 or 3500 2WD for now. I'm having a hard time finding used Ram 3500 that are single wheels. Most have duallies on the back. Will my daily ride be different on a dually?

Have you tried E-Bay Motors? I got a result of something like 225 RAM 3500's there.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Hi Debra, first of all a BIG Thank You for your service, and welcome "home" to the mainland. I am also prompted to reply to you as we have some thing in common. We also have a 2011 BC 3500RL, and as you can see from my signature, I am the proud owner of a 2008 Ram 2500HD which is used exclusively to pull our Big Country. It sounds like you will not do quite the amount of travel in your Big Country as we do. Seems that we are "addicted" to Heartland rallies, and thus are always on the road going somewhere. We are now well in excess of traveling more than 25K in the last 24 months. Now I know some (OK, more than some) are aghast that we pull the Big Country with a 3/4 ton, but I am comfortable with our decision, as well as confident in the Ram performance and stopping ability. Our Ram was purchased new in August 2009, and today with 84K miles, I am still on the original brake pads! Now we have not (yet) traveled across the Rockies, but we frequently traverse the Allegheny Mountains, and are comfortable going up, as well as coming down. Doing extensive travel we have also had our share of necessary "panic" stops on the highway, and both vehicles have performed flawlessly (need to knock on wood right now so I'm not jinxed):eek:.
I am not against any of the big 3 manufacturers, in fact I tell my Ford and Chevy friends I would gladly have one of their models, provided it was powered by the Cummins diesel.:) Your decision will boil down to personal taste, as well as the thickness of your wallet. Good luck in your venture, and hope that we get to meet you in the near future at a Heartland rally.

PS If I had a winning lottery ticket I surely would be looking at a 1 ton 350 or 3500. I would however opt for single rear wheel configuration, and definitely have 4 wheel drive. We have camped on wet grass and sloping ground and were only able to get out with the use of 4 wheel drive. It doesn't happen often, but the 4 wheel was worth it when it was needed. But on second thought, were I a lottery winner, I would have instead a Volvo or Peterbilt truck. Now that would be stylin'. :cool:

DW_Gray

Hi Debra, welcome back to the forum. As one Army retiree to a future military retiree, thank you for your service. If you're considering getting new 2013 truck, there are some 3/4 tons that should have no problem towing your BC. Whatever you decide, consider using the free Before You Buy RV app. It will help you verify the compatibility of the towing combination.

alaska dodge

Take care,
Debra

Welcome back to the main land. I have always towed with a Dodge diesel, they have redesigned the suspension and it is a smooth ride now. I have back issues and the new trucks don't bother my back.

Bill & Katherine

2013 Cyclone 4100
2012 Dodge Megacab 3500 Dually, 6.7L max tow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

txdds

Hi Debra, first of all a BIG Thank You for your service, and welcome "home" to the mainland. I am also prompted to reply to you as we have some thing in common. We also have a 2011 BC 3500RL, and as you can see from my signature, I am the proud owner of a 2008 Ram 2500HD which is used exclusively to pull our Big Country. It sounds like you will not do quite the amount of travel in your Big Country as we do. Seems that we are "addicted" to Heartland rallies, and thus are always on the road going somewhere. We are now well in excess of traveling more than 25K in the last 24 months. Now I know some (OK, more than some) are aghast that we pull the Big Country with a 3/4 ton, but I am comfortable with our decision, as well as confident in the Ram performance and stopping ability. Our Ram was purchased new in August 2009, and today with 84K miles, I am still on the original brake pads! Now we have not (yet) traveled across the Rockies, but we frequently traverse the Allegheny Mountains, and are comfortable going up, as well as coming down. Doing extensive travel we have also had our share of necessary "panic" stops on the highway, and both vehicles have performed flawlessly (need to knock on wood right now so I'm not jinxed):eek:.
I am not against any of the big 3 manufacturers, in fact I tell my Ford and Chevy friends I would gladly have one of their models, provided it was powered by the Cummins diesel.:) Your decision will boil down to personal taste, as well as the thickness of your wallet. Good luck in your venture, and hope that we get to meet you in the near future at a Heartland rally.

PS If I had a winning lottery ticket I surely would be looking at a 1 ton 350 or 3500. I would however opt for single rear wheel configuration, and definitely have 4 wheel drive. We have camped on wet grass and sloping ground and were only able to get out with the use of 4 wheel drive. It doesn't happen often, but the 4 wheel was worth it when it was needed. But on second thought, were I a lottery winner, I would have instead a Volvo or Peterbilt truck. Now that would be stylin'. :cool:

Aloha Eric,
I'm so glad someone responded with a 3500RL! Thank you for all the great information. We are a little concerned about the pin weight of the RV on the 2500 rear axle. We've heard of people installing air bags. Do you have airbags on your truck? What are your thoughts on that?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have towed our Landmark and our previous 5er (Alfa Gold) with Ford F350 trucks. The Landmark we told with both the single and dual rear wheels. The only drawback to the dually is the 'hips' (fenders) clearances which you get used to. Most parking spots nowadays are designed for small foreign cars not full size 'real' vehicles such as a 1 ton 4 wheel drive dually long bed pickup. The positive aspect is we get in more walking as you usually have to park 'out' from the closer parking spots. As far as dual versus single rear wheels I do most of the driving and the DW doesn't mind either but I prefer the stability of the dually. Once used to it there is no problem with it. We also have a Ford Fiesta (40 mpg) for running around and it is really a big change to go from one to the other. Both of the F350s have been diesels and would recommend the diesel. I have owned the 7.3, 6.7 and 6.4 liter engines and prefer the 6.4. which is our current one. We get, on average 10 mpg towing and 16 mpg not towing which is what we got with the 7.3. The 6.7 mpg sucked with 7 towing and 12 not towing. All had the 3.73 rear ends. The 7.3 was 2 wd and the 6.7 and 6.4 are 4 wd. I would suggest if you are going to be using the truck for a daily driver it would be more handy to have the srw versus the dually. Ford is our preference but again it is really only a brand thing. Ford, Chevy or Dodge will all get the job done in the 1 ton versions. Good luck and Thanks for y'alls service. Welcome back to Texas.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Hi Debra, yes, I have considered adding air bags but am basically very happy with the ride I have so have never "got around to it". The 2500HD does squat some (even see the 1 ton's squat when hooked up) but the Big Country rides level, and the telling part is no excessive or unusual wear on the BC tires. I do have the B&W Companion hitch, and again, am extremely pleased in that I do not experience any of the "chucking" that many complain about. Good luck in your search.