Water leak caused soft spot.

I recently found a water leak that looked to me like it was letting rain come in through a caulk seam on the roof of my big country and run inside the wall. The trailer had a soft spot in the floor that I didn't notice until I already had it parked. At first it felt like a perfect round hole so I thought it was a manufacturing flaw of some kind (maybe another floorplan or model had a drain go through in that spot) but now it is definitely a much bigger soft spot and I haven't called someone to try to use the extended warranty but I'm wondering what the best plan of attack for me to fix it is. The soft spot is right at the bottom of the stairs in the kitchen. Am I better off going from underneath or am I going to have to tear up the vinyl floor and redo it as well? Thanks in advance to anyone, this is by far the most helpful forum I've been on.

aatauses

I would start form the underneath and see how much damage has occurred. I think if you have had it leaking for some time you will probably need to replace some of the floor, but checking under first will give you an idea of the damage. Look for discoloration and it may feel soft, but the color is usually the key.
good luck
al
currently in Kenai, AK

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I do hope that you caulked the suspected area of leakage.
I don't know much about wet wood, but once it dries out it may also stiffen up and not need replacing.
Just a thought.

Peace
Dave

I started pulling down all plastic cover but, man there's alot of self tappers in that rascal. If I ever get a day off I'm gonna pull down the spare tire carrier and try to get the plastic cover off and go from there. Thanks for the replies. Oh and yes I did go up and caulk the spot that looked like it would leak and also every other spot that could even be considered questionable.

jbeletti

durawelder,

You mention the soft spot on the kitchen floor in front of the stairs. I am assuming you are talking about the stairs to the upper deck.

I'm wondering if the leak isn't behind the utility wall - possibly a plumbing leak? If you have not already done so, I think it's time to take the wall down to investigate.