Electric beds in garage

alaska dodge

Does anyone know if you can leave the beds in the down position when towing your Cyclone? Or has anyone done this and does it cause a problem?

Bill & Katherine

2013 Cyclone 4100
2012 Dodge Megacab 3500 Dually, 6.7L max tow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

oscar

I've done it and I see no problem with it. There is no locking mechanism in the up position to transfer the load anywhere, so the tracks and chains are carrying the load, up or down. That said, I would caution to resist the temptation to put a lot of stuff on them when other than up......

alaska dodge

I wasn't going to put stuff on the beds but need them in the down position so I can put some boxes in front of them to keep them from sliding around. I was reading some where saying they must be towed in the up so I was curious about it. Didn't know why they said that

Bill & Katherine

2013 Cyclone 4100

Lynn1130

As I recall, and I do not have the info here in front of me, the manual for the beds says to put them in the up position for towing. Pinning the top bed gives that one some support. I would suspect the lower bed's support is the drive/chain. If it breaks in the down position while towing, you may have trouble getting a warranty repair.

porthole

Retired
I have no doubt the recommendation for towing with the bunks up came from the lawyers.
With the bunks up while towing, you are guaranteed to not be towing with your kids unrestrained on the bunks.

FiremanBill

We made our firs big trip with them down. That was the whole intent of getting them for me. I don't put a whole lot of weight on them while traveling, they make an awesome tri level airplane hangar though!

Attachments

• IMG_20130316_171253_600.jpg
    IMG_20130316_171253_600.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 199

alaska dodge

Firemanbill,
Did you have any issues, I don't want to void my warranty or have them break

Bill & Katherine

2013 Cyclone 4100

ParkIt

We made our firs big trip with them down. That was the whole intent of getting them for me. I don't put a whole lot of weight on them while traveling, they make an awesome tri level airplane hangar though!
Looks awesome.

Sometimes I wish we'd purchased a Cyclone when I see pictures like yours :)

FiremanBill

Firemanbill,
Did you have any issues, I don't want to void my warranty or have them break

Bill & Katherine

2013 Cyclone 4100

No issues at all. The model planes I have on them weigh next to nothing really. We make them as light as possible to fly better.

Looks awesome.

Sometimes I wish we'd purchased a Cyclone when I see pictures like yours :)

Thanks, we really are enjoying it so far. It is a perfect fit for us. We used to have a Trail Vision bunkhouse unit. It got to be very difficult loading those planes through the door!

dasmason

I didn't get a brochure on the beds when I purchased the Torque 321 and I am wondering can you move just one bed or do they have to move together?

Riski

I didn't get a brochure on the beds when I purchased the Torque 321 and I am wondering can you move just one bed or do they have to move together?

In the Cyclone you can move the bottom bed separately with the top bed pinned in place. If you want to lower the top bed then you have to raise the lower bed, remove the pins then lower. The top bed will stop at a preset position and the lower bed will continue down.

TacoTom

Just got our new CY 3800 home and now just loading it up for it's madien voyage, the wife and I were wondering about the 2 electric queen beds in the garage, first how does one climb up there without a ladder? (no ladder came with our unit) and how does one leave the top bunk at the roof level and lower the bottom for the bench seats and table, it seems the 2 queen beds go up and down together.

Thanks

Tom
T&T.jpg

In the Cyclone you can move the bottom bed separately with the top bed pinned in place. If you want to lower the top bed then you have to raise the lower bed, remove the pins then lower. The top bed will stop at a preset position and the lower bed will continue down.

jeffdee

There are four straight pins (similar to the ones outside on the ladder to the roof) that hold the top bunk near the ceiling and allow only the lower bunk to come down. These holes are in the four tracks near the top for these pins to pass though.

Keep a close inspection of the four tracks. Another cyclone owner said that his tracks pulled from the wall because the mounting bolts were stripped and pulled out. I inspected mine today and they are still tight. However, one chain came off the bottom take up pulley because the nut, washer and rubber grommet were improperly installed. It caught my attention because the chain was loose and was slapping inside the track housing. I made the repairs myself rather than taking it in for warranty.

Good luck on your first trip.

oscar

That would have been me. Yes on the four pins….. I made my own ladder, I thing Camping World sells an aluminum version. And yes, that is a head scratcher isn't it…..

TacoTom

Jeff Thanks

I will check tomorrow for those pins, your explanation seems easy, I was reading the paperwork and could not see anything relating to what i wanted to do....Ya and no ladder, what up with that? ....

Check out this Licence Plate, now keep in mind I did not order this plate it was a random selection from the registry office, my daughter picked up on the phrase, she asked me ..dad, how long is your toyhauler? I replied approx 42 feet why... She says...that's why your licence plate says that. I had a hard time convincing her i did not order that plate, I really didn't...LMAO...
Plate.jpg

There are four straight pins (similar to the ones outside on the ladder to the roof) that hold the top bunk near the ceiling and allow only the lower bunk to come down. These holes are in the four tracks near the top for these pins to pass though.

Keep a close inspection of the four tracks. Another cyclone owner said that his tracks pulled from the wall because the mounting bolts were stripped and pulled out. I inspected mine today and they are still tight. However, one chain came off the bottom take up pulley because the nut, washer and rubber grommet were improperly installed. It caught my attention because the chain was loose and was slapping inside the track housing. I made the repairs myself rather than taking it in for warranty.

Good luck on your first trip.

jeffdee

They did not show me anything about the beds in the PDI. I figured it out when one of the pins kept falling out when traveling. I have found that when the top bed is pinned, you want that bed to rest directly on those pins. To do this you have to lower the lower bunk about 1/4" for the pins to support the upper bunk.

Heartland might want to consider developing a thorough PDI checklist for the dealers to go over with the new owners. Keeping this checklist with your owners manuals will help you down the road recall these important details. My PDI was simply a walk through and it was very cursory. I had to do a lot of inquiring. Having years of camping under my belt helped but these 5vers are quite sophisticated with some new technologies.

Last edited:

TacoTom

Jeff
Check today my set up and does not have any pins, except for the ones that go up through the "L" bracket that the top bed sits in (see pic).

Upper Bunk stop1.jpgUpper Bunk stop3.jpg

They did not show me anything about the beds in the PDI. I figured it out when one of the pins kept falling out when traveling. I have found that when the top bed is pinned, you want that bed to rest directly on those pins. To do this you have to lower the lower bunk about 1/4" for the pins to support the upper bunk.

Heartland might want to consider developing a thorough PDI checklist for the dealers to go over with the new owners. Keeping this checklist with your owners manuals will help you down the road recall these important details. My PDI was simply a walk through and it was very cursory. I had to do a lot of inquiring. Having years of camping under my belt helped but these 5vers are quite sophisticated with some new technologies.