2008 F-450 Brake Controller and 2008 Bighorn

I have been reading where some 2008 F-450 owners are having problems with the integrated brake controller and their fifth wheel -- especially if the 5er has hydraulic brakes. I have found nothing about Bighorn's in particular, and as we are ordering a 2008 F-450 (have a 2006 F-350 currently) we want to make sure that there will be no problems. I am unsure as to what kind of brakes we have -- I assume electric??!?

Does anyone out there have this configuration? We really don't want to add another aftermarket brake controller.

Thanks in advance.

billd

Heartland uses standard electric trailer breaks on all of their fifthwheels. You should not have an issue. I have a 2005 F350 with the Ford break controller and it works fine with my BigHorn.

Bill

jpmorgan37

The Ford brake controller works great with the electric brakes supplied on the Heartland trailers. If you were to upgrade to hydraulic brakes, then you have to go to an aftermarket brake controller. At least, that was the case on the 2005 that I have.

John

A bit of information: we picked up our Big Horn 3055RL we had the slider Hitch installed and wiring Installed by the dealer. When I was ready to leave the slider was in the rear position so I applied the manual brake in the system and tried to slide it to the traveling position the trailer brakes wouldn’t lock and I couldn’t get it to slide to move forward and the brakes would hold the trailer and it just keep rolling, so I thought I didn’t have any brakes! So we got the mechanic back and checked the connections he told me to contact ford and see if there was an adjustment to the brake system.
My Ford 2005 SWD came with the Tow Command System installed and after some calls to local dealers I was informed that ford trucks manufactured prior to 3/23/05 have a maximum of 3-volts running through the plug to the trailer and after that date they change it to 10-volts and the tow brake system interfaced through the ABS system it was designed not to lock up, the more pressure applied to the brake pedal the more voltage is applied but wont start increasing voltage until you reach 30 MPH some other said 15 MPH. so I cant lock the coach brakes to slide the 5th wheel forward or backwards..
There was a couple of alternative: To have an upgrade to have the 10-volt added but still can’t lock the trailer brakes. (Seems impractical) or have an after market brake system installed to lock trailer brakes.
That afternoon after stopping at my Ford dealer the service manager called me and explained their take on the situation and suggested I jack up the rear and get the RPM up to what ever, then take the voltage test on the truck plug to ensure it was operating OK. So I made an appointment the next morning so they could check it. They put it on a lift and got the RPM’s up and the voltage reading was 12.36 Volts and you were right it was within specifications so nothing was said about upgrading to the new module which was $289 upgrade plus labor? It was hard to believe that I had to be traveling 15 or 30 MPH to be able to apply any trailer brakes? I haven’t towed it in snow or icy roads yet wonder how the trailer will react??? But when I was backing in my driveway parking I could hear the brakes clicking! When I was hooking the next time I tried the break away cable, I tried pulling it still didn’t work. When I was back at my dealer for some warranty work I had them check the brakes and the adjustments they said they we Ok, before leaving I pulled the cable again they still didn’t apply so the technician came out and after a bout 1 ½ tire revolution they finally did activate! Go figure
My Experience Sonny

BluegrassMan

Hi Guy's:
I got my F450 in Oct. I hooked my GC up to it, everything was Super !!!! I have good brakes,no problems. If you want to test your "trailer" brakes OR move your hitch, just pull your emergency breakaway cord and engage your brakes that way.

I did that the last time I got my 5ver State Inspected, BOY DID I GET A SUPPRISE...NO BRAKES !!!! IT's a LONG story, short version is NOW I have ALL NEW brakes on all 4 wheels. Expensive too!