Tow rig tires

We are going to become new full time RV'ers this summer. We ordered a new Key Largo that we will be picking up next month and we recently purchased a used 2011 F350 DRW as a tow vehicle. We would like to put 6 new tires on our tow vehicle and we were wondering what brand of tire others were using. In addition we were wondering what tire pressure others were using to tow their 5th wheel?

Thanks for any help you could give us.

szewczyk_john

I am a big fan of the Michelin LTX line. I run them at 60 psi front and 50 psi rear when not pulling. I put 80 psi in when I hauling. These some of the best tires you can buy. not cheap though

scottyb

I am a big fan of the Michelin LTX line. I run them at 60 psi front and 50 psi rear when not pulling. I put 80 psi in when I hauling. These some of the best tires you can buy. not cheap though

+1 on the Michellin LTX. I easily got 60K+ miles on the two sets I ran on my C3500HD. Never got anything close to that with any other tire, on that truck and many more before it. They are more expensive but I think they are the lowest cost per mile.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we first bought our truck (used) and 5ver (new) in 2010, we had to put new tires on the truck. We went with what was already on it, Firestone Transforce ATs. Well, 3 years and about 35K later, we needed new tires again! So this time went with the Michelin LTX M/S. Wow, these tires are great! Better handling, quieter, and very deep tread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LTX, just a note on pressure, I took my weights to tire dealer, they calculated my pressure, big difference between dual and single rear wheels. In my case 45lbs empty, 60lhs front and 72lbs rear towing, 3500 chev single rear wheel.

DW_Gray

I too switched to the Michelin LTX M/S2. But I'm a little puzzled by some of the comments that may indicate too much PSI even under a load. This something I've been following closely on my truck. My loaded axle weight is 7,000 pounds. According to the load chart, that indicates PSI of 45 pounds for a dually. I too started with greater PSI but as I've monitored the tread wear, I've been able to reduce the amount of excessive center tread wear. I currently keep the rears at 45 PSI and the front at 60 PSI.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Decided what you want from a tire first. There is no perfect tire for all road conditions. A long wearing tire will handle poorly in adverse conditions like snow/ice. The Michelin LTX A/T2 is one of the better all-around treads

SilverRhino

I too switched to the Michelin LTX M/S2. But I'm a little puzzled by some of the comments that may indicate too much PSI even under a load. This something I've been following closely on my truck. My loaded axle weight is 7,000 pounds. According to the load chart, that indicates PSI of 45 pounds for a dually. I too started with greater PSI but as I've monitored the tread wear, I've been able to reduce the amount of excessive center tread wear. I currently keep the rears at 45 PSI and the front at 60 PSI.

I use the same pressures with the Michelins on my 2001 Ram, DWR, when towing. Using these pressures I have very even tire wear and have not had any issues.

porthole

Retired
We are going to become new full time RV'ers this summer. We ordered a new Key Largo that we will be picking up next month and we recently purchased a used 2011 F350 DRW as a tow vehicle. We would like to put 6 new tires on our tow vehicle and we were wondering what brand of tire others were using. In addition we were wondering what tire pressure others were using to tow their 5th wheel?

Thanks for any help you could give us.

I have a 2011 F350 DRW.
Currently I have 37,000 miles on the truck of which about 9,000 are towing a heavy Cyclone. From the looks of my original factory tires I should get another season out of them, at least until the snow season is what I am anticipating.

I experimented a little with pressures but in the end I have been running the pressures as listed on the door frame, 75 for the fronts and IIRC, 60 for the DRW's

Personally, I would not use pressures recommended from GM and Dodge owners, the trucks are different.

And not quite as capable :cool:, but they do the best they can.

Last edited:

wdk450

I recently bought 4 of the Michelin LTX MS2's for my rear duallies. America's Tire (Discount Tire) had its own $70 rebate going. I also added Firestone Ride Rite Airbags without the onboard compressor since I have both 12 volt DC and 110 volt AC Air Compressors, and a generator and inverter system for 110 VAC power when I need it.

TXTiger

My 2012 Ford F-350 purchased in Feb 2012 came with the Michelin LTX A/T2 tires but I only got 28,000 miles on them and had to get new tires before I headed out to the east coast last week. The dealer rotated them with evey oil change. I replaced them with a set of B.F Goodrich Rugged Terrain. The F-350 bounced a lot when not towing and now with the Goodrich it seems to ride a lot smother. Didn't notice much of a difference when towing. They are rated at 55,000 but so were the Michelins. Hopefully I will get at least 35/40,000 out of these. Also the Goodrich were a lot less expensive than the Michelins. Michelin LTX A/T2 average price was about $325 to $350. I got the Goodrich for about $250.

wdk450

The user reports on these Michelin tires I read were all over the satisfaction scale, for no apparent reasons. I read reports of 120,000 miles on them and reports of 20,000 miles on them. They are rated by Michelin at 70,000 miles, higher than most any tire out there. Maybe they had a dip in quality at one point for a year or so resulting in the low tread life for some. I don't know the answer, or what is going to happen with mine. A lot of life is a crapshoot!

robnmo

another vote for Michelin, we replaced what was on our truck with a set, we rotate them every 5K, we've put around 28K miles on them, and look like we can get another 28K out of them, but we're firm believers of max pressure (truck and RV). Like someone else said, they're pricey but we watched bought when they had a rebate, and they are definitely a "get what you pay for".

Eddhuy

I've used them in the past and they came on my new truck. We have them on the Ford edge and have 30K on them now with another 30 to 40K of tread left. With less than 2K miles on the new truck, unable to comment on their longevity while towing. The auto dealer put 65 psi in front and 75 in the rear. I increase that to 70 front and 80 rear while towing. Rotate them every 5K and will watch the wear closely.