Weber Q Grill Question

SilverRhino

I was surprised with a new Weber Q 120 grill, rolling cart and cover from my wife and daughter for my birthday. When my wife purchased the grill, the sales person informed her that she needed to by the Weber hose kit if we wanted to hook it up to an LP tank. She told them that we already had hoses, but he said that only the Weber hose will work with the grill. Looking at the hose I see absolutely no difference in it than any of my existing, much longer and much cheaper hoses.

Those of you using the Weber grills......do you have to use only the Weber hose to connect to a tank??

I would check my hoses, but I was confined to "home rest" by my Neuro Surgeon the day I got the grill, due to some severe cervical issues that will require surgery.

Thanks for your assistance.......Travel Safe!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There may be some truth to that. I had a hose from a Mr.Buddy propane heater that seemed to fit, but the grill would not work. Tried it on both the Baby Q and our newer Q200. Got a Weber hose and they both work off the tank.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have the Q but use a 5ft hose from Menards. As long as the grill can be used with the small screw on LP bottles, there are hoses other than Weber that work. Her sales person was trying to take advantage of your wife's lack of knowledge about the grill.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Are you connecting directly into the big (20 or 30#) tank or using a quick connect from the supply line under the rig?

SilverRhino

Are you connecting directly into the big (20 or 30#) tank or using a quick connect from the supply line under the rig?

I am connecting directly into a 20# tank that has a tee fitting ...... one for my stove the other for the grill.

TXTiger

I am connecting directly into a 20# tank that has a tee fitting ...... one for my stove the other for the grill.

I purchased a hose from Ace Hardware that I hook up to the same propane bottle that I use on my big BBQ at home on my Weber Q200. It works just fine. I was told that you can not hook up to the propane bottles on the 5er because the supply line is already at low pressure. In order to do so you need to tap into the bottle with a T before the pressure regulator on the 5er or remove the pressure regulator in the grill.

rgwilliams69

SilverRhino is right, the propane at the "quick connect" on most units has already been stepped down by the regulator. It is possible to take the regulator off the Weber Q grills and get some fittings to connect it, but you have to actually take the value portion apart and remove the regulator portion.

Also be aware when using a hose/tank combination you can run into a "bypass" problem with the Weber Q regulator. If there is not enough pressure from the host/tank it can trigger the valve into "bypass" mode where you will get a very small flame with little or no heat. My neighbor and I both had this happen to our grills. Couldn't get the valve to reset and eventually had Weber send me a new one (which they did for free, Weber is a good company). In any event you need to follow the correct procedure in order to avoid this happening, which can be found here.

I just use the small bottles now as Weber indicates you would never have this problem with the small bottles. Don't know if their engineer guys are working on getting this fixed, but something good to be aware of if you user the Weber Q/hose/tank option.

Cheers!

Westwind

I use the small bottle's also, I carried a 20lb tank to Florida this year to use with our Baby Q, I also have the Webber hosem but I've come to realize that the small bottles do the job for us. Next year I won't go the 20lb tank route. The small bottles are easier to carry.

Nodaker

OK, I read the link about avoiding the "bypass" problem. I have the fittings to remove the regulator from my WeberQ but I didn't get enough pressure to get the grill hot. I need to try again opening the valves and waiting before trying to light the grill. My question is: Is anyone having success with the on-board supply line supplying a WeberQ when careful to avoid the "bypass"?

Theresau

We've done the same thing - small bottles work good enough - much easier to store, lift, etc. in lieu of the 20lb. tank.

I use the small bottle's also, I carried a 20lb tank to Florida this year to use with our Baby Q, I also have the Webber hosem but I've come to realize that the small bottles do the job for us. Next year I won't go the 20lb tank route. The small bottles are easier to carry.

piet10

I have a Q200 and use the small bottles which last quite a long time. I bought a Mr. Buddy adapter that lets me refill the small bottles from a 20 pound tank before we leave home. Much cheaper than buying new bottles. I will probably replace them after 6 or so refills for safety, although they say it is not required.

Al

frano

OK, I read the link about avoiding the "bypass" problem. I have the fittings to remove the regulator from my WeberQ but I didn't get enough pressure to get the grill hot. I need to try again opening the valves and waiting before trying to light the grill. My question is: Is anyone having success with the on-board supply line supplying a WeberQ when careful to avoid the "bypass"?
Yes, I removed the regulator from my Weber Q100 and use a 4 foot line with a quick disconnect directly into my low pressure supply from the trailer. Works super and eliminates those small nuisance bottles.

Imn2vws

Have a Weber Q200 working off of the camper quick disconnect. Went to a gas log store with the weber valve and they had everything I needed. Make sure you secure the hose and valve assembly as the regulator provided securement also. Works great and don't have to carry extra gas supplies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk