Battery Upgrade

geeksrus

I'm think about increasing the battery capacity on my 2008 3400RL: either 2x 6V or an additional 12V. BUT, it appears that my battery compartment is small for either of these upgrades (see attached). I would appreciate input from others that have this type of compartment & what they have done to upgrade.

ALSO, what is the function of the red rubbery thing above the battery box where the battery cables connect?

Thanks

EH!

Attachments

• PICT0010.jpg
    PICT0010.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 98

billd

Cant speak for the 2008 battery area. But the red rubbery thing is where all 12 volt circuts go through. They have a small circuit breaker on them if there is a short or overload.

Bill

Uncle Rog

610 AH Reserve....

We have 4 T105 6V's as the 450AH main bank, with the stk 160AH as the reserve / back up separated with a selector switch. We use a xantrex inverter / charger and it is a great system......

Attachments

• 0917061122.jpg
    0917061122.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 270

grizzlygiant

I have a 2008 BH 3400 and have switched to dual 6 volt batteries. I relocated the batteries to the right side of the front compartment (next to the generator box). There is lots of room for the new dual battery box.

seamo

Bob and Christina Seaman
Uncle Rog--what size inverter do you have? What applicance does it run and for how long? Do you charge them with your generator?
Thanks

timk

The red rubber thing, just keeps the smoke inside the wires, case you do something silly with your aluminum lawn chair.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I have 4 6 volt batteries. I put 2 on one side and 1 on the other side of the forward compartment.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
timk said:
The red rubber thing, just keeps the smoke inside the wires, case you do something silly with your aluminum lawn chair.

Tim , care to elaborate:confused: ...Could'nt resist!!:D ....Ken

jbeletti

It's probably insulation over the bus bar to prevent accidental shorting by you and service personnel tossing metal items/tools around in there.

Jim

ChopperBill

If you loose 12v power take that rubber cover off and see if one off those circuit breakers has an itsy-bitsy button on the side. Push it in to reset the breaker. First time I ran into a circuit breaker with a reset. Drove me nuts trying to figure out what happened until I found it. Nope its not in the owners manual. :rolleyes:

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Jimtoo
Yes you are 2 = 2 + 4 batteries !!! I guess fat fingers and the inability to proof read..
Rand

Uncle Rog

Seamo, it is a xantrex freedom 458 2000w inverter / 100A charger and yes we do charge the batteries with the generator. The inverter produces a modified sine wave that has been satisfactory for us so far. The charger is a three stage with the equalization feature that allows you to season the batt's by "boiling" them with low amp / high voltage charge that re-circulates the electrolyte and evenly re-coats the plates to give optimum performance. I contacted tech support at Trojan and was told that the 100A charger is perfect to bulk charge the main bank, most info says 10% is max, the tech said that 25% was actually optimum. Using the systems conservatively we can go almost three days on battery / inverter using the coffee maker and TV sparingly, 4-5 days using 12V only. Here are a couple of links http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/49/p/155/pt/24/product.asp

http://www.trojan-battery.com/Tech-Support/BatteryMaintenance.aspx

Good luck.....