Another PD5200 Automatic Transfer Switch Gone Bad

scottyb

I am very disappointed with this ATS. My 1st one went out the 2 days after bringing the Cyclone home. Now the 2nd one appears to be out. Today I started it to exercise it as I have done throughout the winter. The ATS clunked as usual. I started the 1st AC and after it started cooling I attempted to start the 2nd AC but the breakers on the Onan tripped, and the transfer swith went to shore power. After re-setting the breakers, the transfer switch would not change back to gen power. I turned off shore power, re-started the genny, and nothing. After waiting a couple minutes, I checked voltage at the ATS and it has good voltage coming in but nothing coming out. The O&M for the PD5200 says that this indicates a defective switch.

I have just under 4 weeks before I head out and I can assume my dealer is slammed right now, and I really really don't want to take it to them again. I don't mind changing it myself but I don't think I should have to pay for a new one since it is still under warranty. Besides, when they changed the 1st one, they screwed it up and resulted in a very dangerous "Hot Skin" problem, and then had it for six weeks to fix their own screwup. Any ideas how I could get HL to send me a new ATS w/o going through the dealer? Anybody know of a better ATS than the PD5200?

danemayer

Hi scottyb,
Any ideas how I could get HL to send me a new ATS w/o going through the dealer?
On most of the subsystems, the warranty is actually fulfilled by the vendor - although I'm not sure about the ATS. So I'd suggest you Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032. Have your vin# ready. They'll tell you who fulfills the warranty on the ATS. If it's Heartland, they very well might agree to ship one directly to you. If it's the manufacturer, you'd have to call them directly to ask. Some manufacturers will, some won't.

jbeletti

ScottyB,

It's likely that Heartland will ship you the switch but they would want the old one back as well in order to file for recovery from the supplier. They usually charge the dealer for the parts, then credit them back upon return of the defective part. Not sure how that works when the customer does the replacement of an item that we need back. Worth the call though - 877-262-8032.

scottyb

Thanks danemayer and wdk450. I will call HL tomorrow and depending on what they say, will follow-up with PD. Mine is the 5200 series and looks different than the one in Bill's link. The troubleshooting guide for mine simply says "if the voltage is good coming in (120V), but nothing coming out, the switch is defective". It doesn't offer any solutions or possibilities for repair. If forced to purchase a new ATS, I may look elsewhere. ESCO 50M-65N was recommended on another site. Or I may purchase a new PD5200 and send the old one for repair and keep one for backup. I have to say that it is no small feat for me to squeeze into that basement and manipulate those heavy gauge wires. The EMS about wore me out.

scottyb

ScottyB,

It's likely that Heartland will ship you the switch but they would want the old one back as well in order to file for recovery from the supplier. They usually charge the dealer for the parts, then credit them back upon return of the defective part. Not sure how that works when the customer does the replacement of an item that we need back. Worth the call though - 877-262-8032.

Thanks Jim. They have been very reasonable the couple times I have contacted them. I will give them a call tomorrow.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I don't ever start my Onan when I am plugged into shore power.
If I am going to run it, I always unplug first.

I just always thought if it isn't necessary, why chance causing a conflict?
I have never had any problems when doing it this way. Trace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Lou_and_Bette

Scottyb, I believe that you are hooked up to shore power and then are starting the genny to exercise it and the ATS. My story of being on shore power and then starting the gen resulted in croaking my ATS. As the genny started reving up there was a huge bang in the belly and everything went dead. Both 30A breakers were tripped on the genny, my EMS system was shut down, the pedestal breaker was not tripped but the 200A breaker for several other sites around me was tripped also. I also reset everything, waited for the EMS delay to reset and had no shore power but had genny power. Replaced the ATS with one from Camping world and all was right again. Now, when I exercise the generator, I disconnect from shore power before I fire up the generator, but haven't had the occasion to have the genny running when shore power is restored as when a storm knocks out the power and it is resumed. I have a feeling that when the generator is first ramping up there is a big surge of power but am too chicken to start it with the breakers off and then when running smoothly flip the breakers on, one at a time. Good luck with your fix

scottyb

I'm not sure. I suppose it is a possibility I can't find it in the O&M and nor was it mentioned during PDI. i have always been told to remove the load before doing it. I always wait for the ATS to switch before putting any load on it.

This is the only mention in the O&M
When power is applied to the Gen side there is a 20-45 second delay then the Gen side contact will activate, power will go to the
panel from the Gen side and the shore side will be locked out.

porthole

Retired
In four + years I have never had an issue with starting my generator while connected to shore power. It is an "either-or" connection and should not be an issue.

Starting the generator while connected to shore power is no different then any of the automatic transfer switches in homes with a standby generator. They are just a bit more sophisticated.

Scott, As long as you are willing ot do the work Hearltand is usually willing to ship the parts, they save money as well by not having a dealer do the repairs.
OTH, Progressive is really good with support.

scottyb

Update. I talked to Terry at HL and he is shipping the new ATS directly to me. He is also prompting the dealer to conclude a couple other outstanding issues. One being the happy jack support legs for the rear bunk bed that was shipped too short, the 2nd being a pedestal table top that was not present at delivery. You can't get better service than that.

For the record, it appears that the 1st ATS was not a PD. Their records show it was built with another brand and probably was switched for the PD the 1st time it was replaced. Since there seems to be some contraversy concerning starting the genny while on shore power, I will err on the side of caution.

scottyb

What contraversy?

I agree with you for the most part. I guess the contraversy is mostly mine and the fact that I have two blown ATS's in less than a year. It's really not necessary for me to start it while connected since the only time I would do that is when exercising the genny at home.

porthole

Retired
Scotty, about the only time I do start it connected to shore power is at home.
I'm still surprised you had a problem. The PD stuff is well made.