Fiberglass MPG Roof badly oxidized??

marc515

The roof of our 2011 MPG is badly oxidized with no gloss. I've waxed it, but really no shine to speak of. The front and back still have a nice glossy finish but the oxidation begins where they curve into the top of the roof. The sides still have a glossy finish and polish up well.

Anyone else experience this? Is it just the naturof fiberglass? Can it be polished out with a buffer?

Any insight will be appreciated. Thank you

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Normal for fiberglass if it gets lots of sun. Yes it could be polished out but will fade quickly again. It is no different that a boat that sits in the sun. Being a small TT, I would get a cover for it.

Jimmyd

My 2011 MPG also has some pretty severe oxidation. First question, is it that big of a deal? Other than the cosmetic implications, will the oxidation have consequences for the longevity of my TT?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
If you want to bring it back to like new or better.... go to www.woody-wax.com and look at a product called "ultra gloss fiberglass restoring compound" it is really great stuff. It aint cheap... $60 for a quart or $33 for 16 ounces (you can probably do your roof a couple of times with 16 ounces). I can attest to it's ability to bring back a heavily oxidized boat to absolute beauty (lived in South Florida for 10 years with 2 boats).
@jimmyd... Yes it will have negative consequences over time. Fiberglass will eventually develope very fine spider web like cracks from drying out, eventually deteriorating to a point that moisture will enter and rapidly compromise the integrity of your roof. Not only do you need to remove the oxidation, but you need to replenish the oils that have degraded over time. That is why fiberglass eventually becomes brittle. The woody-wax product will accomplish both (remove oxidation and replenish the loss of oils).

marc515

I used some simple automotive polishing compound on a small area it quickly removed the oxidation; I then put a coat of Meguiars Ultimate wax on, and it looks as good as new. Meguiars has a product for RV's called Mirror Glaze HD Oxidation Remover, Nubmer M4916 which I will try as soon as I can find it.

ParkIt

If you want to bring it back to like new or better.... go to www.woody-wax.com and look at a product called "ultra gloss fiberglass restoring compound" it is really great stuff. It aint cheap... $60 for a quart or $33 for 16 ounces (you can probably do your roof a couple of times with 16 ounces). I can attest to it's ability to bring back a heavily oxidized boat to absolute beauty (lived in South Florida for 10 years with 2 boats).
@jimmyd... Yes it will have negative consequences over time. Fiberglass will eventually develope very fine spider web like cracks from drying out, eventually deteriorating to a point that moisture will enter and rapidly compromise the integrity of your roof. Not only do you need to remove the oxidation, but you need to replenish the oils that have degraded over time. That is why fiberglass eventually becomes brittle. The woody-wax product will accomplish both (remove oxidation and replenish the loss of oils).
In my first unit I used Marine compound and it worked great, since then the compound has changed so thanks for the info. I'll check out Woody Wax...and try not to giggle in the process of ordering it ;)

Jimmyd

There are no stickers on the roof. My MPG had extreme oxidation from the points on the front and back surfaces where the curve has any horizontal aspect. The (vertical) sides where the stickers are had no problem. By the way, I used 3M marine restorer and then 3M marine fiberglass wax. I will never let the TT get that oxidized again...what a PITA!