water pump loosing pressure??

JeremyN

Hello Everyone,

We have a North Trail 28BRS and I need to ask something about the water pump. We do a majority of our camping at State Parks here in Wisconsin, so I am using my water pump almost every time we go. On the two weekends we went out this year, I have noticed that our pump seems to run once every half hour or so. It will turn on and run for about 2-3 seconds, and then turn off. It does this during the entire day and night.

Does this mean I am loosing pressure somewhere in my system and the pump is re-pressuring the lines? Another camper this weekend thought that I possibly left a faucet open a little, but we checked those and all were shut an fully turned off.

Any ideas what might be wrong, or what I should check?

Thanks.

alaska dodge

Hello Everyone,

We have a North Trail 28BRS and I need to ask something about the water pump. We do a majority of our camping at State Parks here in Wisconsin, so I am using my water pump almost every time we go. On the two weekends we went out this year, I have noticed that our pump seems to run once every half hour or so. It will turn on and run for about 2-3 seconds, and then turn off. It does this during the entire day and night.

Does this mean I am loosing pressure somewhere in my system and the pump is re-pressuring the lines? Another camper this weekend thought that I possibly left a faucet open a little, but we checked those and all were shut an fully turned off.

Any ideas what might be wrong, or what I should check?

Thanks.

Check the fittings by the pump, my be loose just enough that it drips and drys but causing pressure lose

Bill & Katherine

2013 Cyclone 4100
2012 Dodge Megacab 3500 Dually, 6.7L max tow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

danemayer

Hi Jeremy,

It's very important to get to the bottom of this without delay. When the pump runs while faucets are closed, it may be due to a leak in the plumbing system, which can cause expensive damage to the trailer. It's not always that - as Bill suggested, it can be something loose at the pump, either leaking or allowing air to enter. It's also possible that the pressure sensor on the pump needs to be adjusted (some pumps have an adjusting screw on top to set the pressure).

Check the pump and surrounding area first. If you spread tissue paper, or wipe it on pex lines, you should be able to find wet areas.

Also check plumbing connections in the kitchen and bathroom.

Once again, it's very important to not let this continue. If you can't find the problem, you should turn the pump off except when actually using water to reduce the possibility of damage. Then get to your dealer for service.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Jeremy,

I agree with Dan, chances are this is a leak of some kind, if you can not find a leak in the system where water is leaking, you may also have a leak in the backflow valve in the pump, letting water "bleed" back into the fresh water tank...

How you can check that is to remove the pump connection on the (input side ) filter side of the pump and dry everything off after the water leaks out - then hook up to city pressure - and turn it on. you should get no water leaking out of your water pump. if you get water pushing through the water pump towards the fresh water tank- then you may have found the source of your pressure loss when running on the pump.

Kevin

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
If you can not find a visible leak then it's likely you have a faulty check valve within the pump itself. Check this by disconnecting the inlet side of the pump after the pump cycles off. (looking for water flowing through the pump backwards)

olcoon

This could be a can of worms. If you do all the above, & the pump is still cycling, you may have to check every fitting/connection in your plumbing system. Possibly one of the Pex connections is loose & you are leaking even if hooked up to city water.

ParkIt

This could be a can of worms. If you do all the above, & the pump is still cycling, you may have to check every fitting/connection in your plumbing system. Possibly one of the Pex connections is loose & you are leaking even if hooked up to city water.
The posts so far have covered it though double check the UDC to make sure the "winterize valve" is fully closed. I missed closing it all the way and the pump kept cycling so I checked those first and yep, a push harder sealed it up. The air it was getting from that was just enough for the system to keep the pump cycling on and off.
Hope its that easy for you.

JeremyN

So, I have had the entire trailer ripped apart for the last week or so. Every night I go in it and turn on the pump. The pump still runs for about 2-3 seconds every half hour. I have been on my hands and knees and have personally looked at and touched almost every since water connection in my trailer. I cannot find one drop of a leak anywhere.

I called a gentlemen that I go to Church with. He used to be an RV Service Tech until about a year ago. He is probably coming over either tonight or tomorrow night, but he said that is sounds like a pump problem to him. He thinks that something internally in the pump is causing it to loose pressure.

Lets just keep our fingers crossed the cannot find any leaks either. Then we can just replace the pump, and be good to go!

aatauses

Sorry you are having water issues--they are no fun and I agree with everyone, you need to figure it out. One last place I would suggest is to check your outside shower connections.
al
currently in Kenai, AK

kerinator

So, I have had the entire trailer ripped apart for the last week or so. Every night I go in it and turn on the pump. The pump still runs for about 2-3 seconds every half hour. I have been on my hands and knees and have personally looked at and touched almost every since water connection in my trailer. I cannot find one drop of a leak anywhere.

I called a gentlemen that I go to Church with. He used to be an RV Service Tech until about a year ago. He is probably coming over either tonight or tomorrow night, but he said that is sounds like a pump problem to him. He thinks that something internally in the pump is causing it to loose pressure.

Lets just keep our fingers crossed the cannot find any leaks either. Then we can just replace the pump, and be good to go!

My Cyclone 2812 did the same thing, dealer replaced the valve on top of the water tank, problem solved. Since then its done it a few times, so I crack the valve on top of the tank and the pump cycling stops.