Tips for setting up camp with kids

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
We've never camped with kids before and are planning our first outing with my inlays and their 3 munchkins this summer. Said munchkins are VERY active so my idea was to make more use of outdoor space than we normally do. We have the outdoor kitchen and TV in our rig, the 16 foot awning, outdoor rug. We're planning for the boys to "rough it" in a tent.

I'm sure whatever park we choose will have a picnic table and a fire ring. So I'm looking for tips from those of you who camp with kids(especially younger, ages 2-5 here) for making it a fun weekend for all of us. and keeping Auntie Alice sane. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ILH

Have you got a baby monitor? They come in great to listen during the night - not just for babies - making sure the kids actually sleep and are out of trouble!

If you're in a dirty / sandy area, get a cheap (disposable) inflatable 3' pool and fill it with about 6" of water and keep it near the door - make the kids go through it each time they wan to come into the trailer - it keeps the dirt and sand off their feet. Buy a second one just for them to play in - kids of ALL ages love water. Buy a couple of those blaster water guns - great for the heat. Make sure you have lots of water resistant sun block. Snacks... lots of snacks.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Excellent advice. Had wondered how to keep the rig clean. And ive seen those little bitty inflatable pools for babies, thatd be great, depending on where we're going. I'm sure SIL can bring their kiddie pool. I saw a cute water gun game were you shoot ping pong balls off of golf tees. Even I'd like that. :)

I've been trying to figure out what to go with shoes since we got Ellie last year. Theres really not a great place to put them as you come in the door. Maybe a plastic bin outside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TheLindsays

Find a park that has things for kids.. play area, pool.. games.. etc.. we took the kids and grand kids... we had a smaller trailer at the time so we brought a 10-13 tent with blow up mattresses to Disney Ft. Wilderness.. they have huge concrete pad was large enough to put the tent behind the trailer.. used outdoor kitchen and they had enough activities in the campground we didn't even have to visit the Disney park... the first night the little kids..3 & 4 thought the tent was their personal bounce house with the mattresses and my daughters said it was 2am before they finally crashed but after the first night they got used to it and had a good time. but even some of the state parks have activities for the kids etc.. you just have to shop around... have fun.

olcoon

You also might consider a Jellystone Park if one is near. We work camped in one 2 summers ago, and they are VERY kid oriented, with a lot of activities for them. Another thing to think about is to give them a task to do to help out with setting up, breaking down camp, and some other things to do. It keeps them busy, and they get to help the adults. Doesn't have to be much, and they'll be learning along the way. You'll be surprised how well they'll receive it. Gathering firewood, setting up the tent, etc.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
o think about is to give them a task to do to help out with setting up, breaking down camp, and some other things to do. It keeps them busy, and they get to help the adults. Doesn't have to be much, and they'll be learning along the way. You'll be surprised how well they'll receive it. Gathering firewood, setting up the tent, etc.
x2
my three year olds love to help setup and teardown camp.

TXTiger

When my kids were young we would play hide and go seak. I would tell them to go hide and then take a long time to find them. Kept them busy for awhile till they figured it out that I wasn't coming to find them, lol lol lol.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Adult beverages, good drugs and ear plugs ( the good ones for the drag races). Bring bikes or some kind of riding toys. Bring some long leashes, that way they cant get tooo far away. Bring anything that will keep them busy. Bug bite medicine and sun screen. Lots of extra clothes......trust me on this and patients....your going to need it. I speak from experience. 5 kids and 14 grandkids. Love having grandkids around...but about 5-6 hours is enough. Thats why grandpa's have garages to hide in.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Smores, don't forget the Smores. Every kid likes to roast the marshmallows over the camp fire.
And gin, lots of gin. But not for the kids.

Peace
Dave

Mizmary

Definitely bring bikes/scooters- we also bring outdoor games like bag toss and badminton. My three and six year old rarely play with them the way they are intended but they have a good time.

Most of the time they end up playing with piles of rocks and making rock cities, though. Let them bring something from home that they love- even of its the duplo Legos.

Good luck!

1231ChaseB

They gotta have their bycycle's ( I obviously don't know how to spell that ) My grandkid's wear their bike's out while camping ! Fact is , that's where they learned to ride them !
chaseb

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Chaseb, Grdkids wear me out just watching them play and its FAAAAR TOOO LOUD. When the 3 and 5 year olds go camping with us. We have at least 50 DVD's they like (Wally World $5 ones). We put them on in the BR and dont see them or the dog for hours. They know how to change the DVD's better than me and IT'S QUIET.

Eric and Alice, you should have a couple of small children yourself. Ya don't know what your missing. It's even better when they become teenagers and even better with teenage girls. My daughters did not believe that I would remove the doors to their rooms and bathroom if they did not stop slamming them. The doors disappeared for about 2 weeks ( they were not home when it happened). I guess the door fairy got them. Would dad do something like that??? You bet your sweet patootie he would.

TheLindsays

Ha.. Bob is telling the truth about teenage girls...lol... I took one of the girls bedroom doors off too.... was sweet revenge :):angel:

szewczyk_john

I live in a semi rural area so my kids were always good at doing nature things. My nephews live in big city and they loved doing nature stuff because they never got to do it at home. playing in the a creek, fishing, catching tadpoles, butterflies, bird watching. on one trip to New Hampshire they could not believe the moose and watched for as long as the moose would let them. Make sure the destination is kid friendly. There are those parks that do not even allow kids to ride bikes by them selves. These guys got into making mountain pies more than the smores.

priorguy

My boys are 2 and 6 now. Video games, movies, ipods, or anything electronics gets there attention. I don't like it much but it keeps them occupied. We don't have room for the trailer at home yet so we leave it at www.logosland.com about a half hour away and they have water slides, petting zoo, mini-golf, zip lines and many more activities. Parks like this cater to families with small children so there is plenty to keep them busy. They are always tired and ready for bed at the end of the day. After making s'mores on the campfire of course.