Stovetop spark ignition wires

AnnR

Happy spring everyone! Just opening up the trailer for the season and the stovetop burners won't light with the spark ignition. I took the cover off and saw evidence of mice. It looks like the mice have stripped the ignition wires in a few places, causing the spark to occur in the middle of the wires. Can these wires be wrapped with electrical tape, or easily replaced, or should we just relax with a cold beverage and get used to lighting the burners with a lighter? Or should I tell my DH the entire stove is unsafe and he must do all cooking on the grill?!

ParkIt

Happy spring everyone! Just opening up the trailer for the season and the stovetop burners won't light with the spark ignition. I took the cover off and saw evidence of mice. It looks like the mice have stripped the ignition wires in a few places, causing the spark to occur in the middle of the wires. Can these wires be wrapped with electrical tape, or easily replaced, or should we just relax with a cold beverage and get used to lighting the burners with a lighter? Or should I tell my DH the entire stove is unsafe and he must do all cooking on the grill?!
Mice just aren't very smart, there is no insulation on wires (ask me how I know that one).
Where did they strip the sheath? Is it far enough in to splice a new set of wires? I wouldn't recommend just taping them or leaving them as is, gas can leak and going down the road it may be enough to spark then fire...it would be bad needless to say. You can cut the wires and remove the spark ignition entirely capping off the wires properly at the cut and use a lighter wand...or the BBQ, your choice ;)

AnnR

Thanks for the quick responses! The wires are about twice as long as needed, so I think I can cut out the stripped portion. I should also pick up some Rescue tape for my next mishap! :) Thanks again! I'll post again after my repair attempt.

MCTalley

Ours keep sparking through the "insulation" to the bottom pan. I have to take the top off every couple months and bend a wire around so that the burned through spot isn't close to the pan. I've fixed it twice and our dealer once. Would like a more permanent solution. Will try the Rescue tape, as well.

ParkIt

If you are going to cut out a section use shrink tube over the splice.
Okay, this proves I'm a gearhead, didn't mention it because its a standard item when splicing so I didn't mention that. Its like duct tape, silicon and roof tape...always in the tool box.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Rescue Tape is easier to use and seals better than shrink tube...plus it can handle 500 degrees....

ParkIt

Rescue Tape is easier to use and seals better than shrink tube...plus it can handle 500 degrees....
Wholly cow, 500º on the stove? I don't cook anything that high or long, that's the BBQ's job! lol
Guess I'll have to pick some up and let you know how it works...hopefully in a long time from now ;)