GPS question

CeeCee

We just purchased the Good Sam RNVD 7725 GPS with a 7inch screen which is the same as the Rand McNally7720. All the research I did seemed like this was the best one for us. Of course now that we bought it I found a review that it took someone on a road where there was height restrictions. That person said to get the Garman Dezl. I know nothing is perfect but would like your opinions on it. The main reason we got it was because you could enter your height & length. I can still return it if needed.
Thanks

jimtoo

I don't normally knock products, but this one I do. I purchased one direct from RM, received it, tried it out. Even thou 7720 is supposed to have updated screen, it is still hard to see. Made a little drive, 25 miles, could not make screen select what I wanted... did screen reset to get touch points to align with where you touch it. Center of screen and a couple other spots were dead, would not work. Called customer service, walked through all the settings again. Same results. Was told to return unit for repairs. Was told to prepay shipping,, they would not pay for shipping. This was brand new unit. Finally they agreed to pay for shipping and I returned unit. Then they called and said they would be shipping unit back to me,,, wanted credit card number to charge shipping charges to.. again I declined and they said they would hold unit until I picked it up or paid shipping. I then told them to just refund money to credit card. When they did (finally) it was short all the tax amount I had paid. They would not refund taxes I paid to them. Finally said they would,, but that was 3 months ago.

So do I like the Rand McNally?? I don't think they have good customer service and the 7720 is not up to par.

Jim M

olcoon

I've heard good & bad about it, but enough bad that I'm steering clear of it. Also the limited reviews I've heard about the Garmin Dezel, I'm also steering clear of it. I've heard that it's mainly made for truckers & will route you to truck routes (routes that the truckers have to us, that we pulling an RV wouldn't have to use.) RVers I've heard using it just use it in the normal (automobile) mode & don't use the trucker mode. For the most part as long as you stay on main roads & watch the signs you should be OK.

danemayer

I've been using the Garmin Dezl 560-LMT (Lifetime free maps and Traffic) for two years and am happy with it. If you set it for your RV profile and tell it to avoid Interstates and Toll Roads, it will take you along the less-traveled and often more scenic trucking route. I am happy with it and if I had to do it over would buy it again.

I see the price has dropped down to $299 on Amazon. I also notice there is now a larger screen Dezl 750-LMT for $399.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Dan
When you use the Dezl how do you make your route. Do you make it on your PC then upload it to the GPS or just do it on the GPS.

I have been using the 465t which is a trucker's version. I use it in auto mode for the same reason the truck version routes you way out of the way.

I just use ALSTAYS to view the route for low underpasses..

I have been using BaseCamp for a while now. I had been using MapSource until they stopped updating it. BaseCamp is a Database version and not real easy to use, but I am starting to get use to it..

I was intrested if anyone else uses BaseCamp. I think Garmin is running into a problem with BaseCamp because many people don't like it. This could recuce the number of GPS's that people buy even though it is probably the better GPS. Doesn't help if you can't program it.

BC

olcoon

Thanks Dan, always better to hear it first hand, rather than rely on what you've heard "through the grapevine!"

Bob, that's one thing I don't like about the Nuvi series, you can't create your own route, you have to rely on Garmin's database and they don't always route you the way I'd prefer. I've tried using Basemap a few times, and maybe it's just me, but I'm not too fond of it. Garmin really needs to step up & redo it to make it better. Not too long ago when you bought certain GPS units you'd get a CD/DVD along with the unit & you could create your own custom route & then transfer it to the GPS. It was, in my opinion, more user friendly. I suppose you could still do that on the Nuvi, by creating separate routes, but instead of having a route from point A to point B, you'd have to create routes from point a, then b, then c, etc to get the route you want to take to your destination. More of a hassle & time consuming!

danemayer

Dan
When you use the Dezl how do you make your route. Do you make it on your PC then upload it to the GPS or just do it on the GPS.
Bob,

I've tried a couple of different ways. The Dezl has a pretty easy internal route building function where you can build up the route from a series of POI destinations in the GPS database, or from favorites that I load using mapquest.com while the GPS is attached to the computer.

But mostly I just put in one destination at a time rather than bothering with building a route; again pulling from the POI database in the device, or from favorites that I've added. If I know I want a particular road, I'll usually pick something on that road as a destination.

The biggest problem I've run into is going from I25 North to C470 West just outside of Denver. Because the East side of 470 is a Toll Road, and I'm set to avoid Toll Roads, the GPS tries to route me up to Rte 6 in Denver. I tried building a route on Basecamp to force it onto C470 West, but the result was messy for some reason I don't recall. Since I already knew I wanted C470 West, I just took the exit and let the GPS recalculate. The only issue with that is that if the GPS isn't directing your exit, you don't get lane guidance for the exit. And I've come to like lane guidance a lot. So this summer I'll probably try adding a favorite somewhere along C470 West and setting that as a destination.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have the first RVND GPS, I cannot recall the number. So far we haven't had any major mis-guides while traveling, but in our small town we know it doesn't go the most RV friendly route. I like it better than the Garmin we had previously. One of the features I like is the "change in speed limit" alerts, and the "speed warning" when you are more than 5mph faster than the limit. Great for passing through lots of small towns on State Highways, where every town has you drop down to 30mph through the center of it.

happykraut

We have the first RVND GPS, I cannot recall the number. So far we haven't had any major mis-guides while traveling, but in our small town we know it doesn't go the most RV friendly route. I like it better than the Garmin we had previously. One of the features I like is the "change in speed limit" alerts, and the "speed warning" when you are more than 5mph faster than the limit. Great for passing through lots of small towns on State Highways, where every town has you drop down to 30mph through the center of it.
FWIW, my Garmin Nuvi 2595LM alerts me when I'm 1 mile over the limit. I like it a lot, but it is the first unit I've owned. I've always used S & T prior to getting the Nuvi. I recently started setting up my route on S & T and then exporting a .GPX file to the Nuvi. Seems to work pretty good.

CeeCee

Thanks for all the info. I am going to try it out this weekend on our trip. If I don't like it I will send it back to Camping World.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bob, that's one thing I don't like about the Nuvi series, you can't create your own route, you have to rely on Garmin's database and they don't always route you the way I'd prefer. I've tried using Basemap a few times, and maybe it's just me, but I'm not too fond of it. Garmin really needs to step up & redo it to make it better. Not too long ago when you bought certain GPS units you'd get a CD/DVD along with the unit & you could create your own custom route & then transfer it to the GPS. It was, in my opinion, more user friendly. I suppose you could still do that on the Nuvi, by creating separate routes, but instead of having a route from point A to point B, you'd have to create routes from point a, then b, then c, etc to get the route you want to take to your destination. More of a hassle & time consuming!

Roy
I am getting use to BaseCamp. It is getting easier to use. I don't keep all my routes but I am trying to keep a clection of all the campgrounds I have stayed in so I can find a place to stay in each state. I also try to take photos of every campground I stay in so I know what they looked like when I was last there...

We are going to be in Elkhart May 17th and will stay there until we go to Goshen. Maybe we can get togeather and come up with some ideas on using BaseCamp.

BC

olcoon

Sounds good Bob. We'll be getting there on June 6, going to help setting up the Pre Rally & Rally.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Roy, glad to hear that you're coming in early. We'll be looking for you.

mobilcastle

They all make errors from my experience owning several trucker RV GPS units. Now use Garmin 2757 7" screen-we like the large screen $219 when we bought it. We also look at maps etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whp4262

I recently purchased the Good Sam RNVD 7725 and so far I'm happy with it. The touch screen has worked well and it has some nice features like fuel, walmarts, campgrounds etc at the touch of a button. I set up the height setting above the max hight of an overpass along a route and it warned me as I approached the overpass. Don't think I would want to trust it 100% but it seems to work. It will suggest a route sometimes that leaves you scratching your head but so did my Garmin. Overall I don't have any complaints so far.

k-f-Indiana

We have been using the Rand McNally 7720 for several months now. Had the Garmin Nuvi before. It took me awhile to learn to operate the RM, because it is so different then the Garmin. However, now that I have learned it, I like it much better than the Garmin because it is specific to RVs, but I can change it to "auto" while we are camped and just traveling around the area without the RV. It has warned us about low overpasses and takes us better routes for the RV then the Garmin did. I would not go back to the Garmin.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have been using the Rand McNally 7720 for several months now. Had the Garmin Nuvi before. It took me awhile to learn to operate the RM, because it is so different then the Garmin. However, now that I have learned it, I like it much better than the Garmin because it is specific to RVs, but I can change it to "auto" while we are camped and just traveling around the area without the RV. It has warned us about low overpasses and takes us better routes for the RV then the Garmin did. I would not go back to the Garmin.

We've had the opposite experience. At first, we liked our Rand McNally 5510 over our garmin, but the touch screen seems to have gotten worse over time, requiring a very heavy push and sometimes multiple pushes to get actions to work. It also does not give good instructions for lane changes or when roads merge or split, like in major metropolitan areas. We've had at least two software "upgrades" to it, and each time, it messes up all our settings. Both "upgrades" had improvements, but also changes we didn't like. The latest gives "route options". However, the options seemed to take us a completely different route to a known location, which was not what we wanted to do. We ended up turning off the turn-by-turn directions for most of our latest 500 mile trip. (We knew the way).

We are considering the Garmin RV 760LMT, which is supposed to be geared toward RVers.

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've had my Rand McNally RVND 5510 for a year now (got it for Christmas last year) . . .

So far it is pretty good, although it has made me make a few wrong turns, which with the trailer attached can be combersome, to say the least.

While coming back from camping in South Dakota last summer, it told me to make a right turn to get on the highway, but instead I wound up in the parking lot of the Cabbella's national headquarters in Sydney, Nebraska! :confused:

My biggest issue with it is that it doesn't tell you which lane to be in, so often you have to turn around when you miss an on ramp that is from the left lane instead of the right.

And the voices don't know how to say a lot of words correctly, which in this day and age of technology, should be an easy task.

For example, one of the streets in my subdivision is "Northhaven" . . . and the GPS says "Nthhvn".

I live on "Birch Street", and I've never quite been able to figure out what Thomas or Samantha calls my street . . .

And when it detects a wifi spot, it doesn't say "whyfye" . . . it says "whiff-eeee". :rolleyes:

I do use it every day in my car . . . matter of fact, I hardly ever look at the speedometer in my car or truck as I've gotten used to looking at the GPS instead!

I've noticed that it seems both the speedometers in my car and truck are off by a couple of miles per hour . . . :p

A couple of weeks ago I did discover a cool feature . . .

I touched the current speed icon, and it brought up a cool speedometer looking screen!

But it also showed me a stat that I should probably reset before my wife sees it . . .

It says that one day a couple of months back, my fastest speed while driving with the GPS unit on was 110 MPH . . . DOH! :eek:

Must be lying, of course . . . :angel:

whp4262

I've had my Rand McNally RVND 5510 for a year now (got it for Christmas last year) . . .

So far it is pretty good, although it has made me make a few wrong turns, which with the trailer attached can be combersome, to say the least.

While coming back from camping in South Dakota last summer, it told me to make a right turn to get on the highway, but instead I wound up in the parking lot of the Cabbella's national headquarters in Sydney, Nebraska! :confused:

My biggest issue with it is that it doesn't tell you which lane to be in, so often you have to turn around when you miss an on ramp that is from the left lane instead of the right.

And the voices don't know how to say a lot of words correctly, which in this day and age of technology, should be an easy task.

For example, one of the streets in my subdivision is "Northhaven" . . . and the GPS says "Nthhvn".

I live on "Birch Street", and I've never quite been able to figure out what Thomas or Samantha calls my street . . .

And when it detects a wifi spot, it doesn't say "whyfye" . . . it says "whiff-eeee". :rolleyes:

I do use it every day in my car . . . matter of fact, I hardly ever look at the speedometer in my car or truck as I've gotten used to looking at the GPS instead!

I've noticed that it seems both the speedometers in my car and truck are off by a couple of miles per hour . . . :p

A couple of weeks ago I did discover a cool feature . . .

I touched the current speed icon, and it brought up a cool speedometer looking screen!

But it also showed me a stat that I should probably reset before my wife sees it . . .

It says that one day a couple of months back, my fastest speed while driving with the GPS unit on was 110 MPH . . . DOH! :eek:

Must be lying, of course . . . :angel:

So I wonder how much Cabela's paid Rand McNally to have their GPS devices route people into the cabela's parking lot?