Weight Stations (Arkansas) and others.

firstone

I saw a state law list by AAA that says if your passenger vehicle or combo of vehicle and trailer had a GVWR of 10,000lb or more in AR. you had to pull in to the weight stations????????

Any other states that require this? My truck is 7200 and trailer is 8600 so combined I am well over 10,000 GVWR

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I live in Arkansas and not aware of any such law. My dry combined weight is over 19000.

driver311

only commercial. quit worry about your weight. the only place u should worry is your trailer axles. they probably arent heavy enough.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I've been through Arkansas a lot and never been stopped. Never seen a sign indicating that a non-commercial truck/RV must stop.

Copied from the AAA Digest of Motor Laws:

The following vehicles must stop at weight/inspection stations: (1) agricultural vehicles; (2) passenger or specialty vehicles, whether single or in combination (towing a trailer) with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more; (3) commercial trucks with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more.

firstone

Yes, that is what made me start looking. AR web page is a mess and can't find anything but on coop for truckers I think it said commercial only.

I've been through Arkansas a lot and never been stopped. Never seen a sign indicating that a non-commercial truck/RV must stop.

Copied from the AAA Digest of Motor Laws:

The following vehicles must stop at weight/inspection stations: (1) agricultural vehicles; (2) passenger or specialty vehicles, whether single or in combination (towing a trailer) with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more; (3) commercial trucks with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more.

GOTTOYS

AAA Digest of motor vehicle laws is about as reliable as their road service on a cold morning when your car won't start...Don

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I tried to check a little further and came up with the same result as Mike. If this is in fact the law, imagine the lines to get into a weigh station. And we think truckers hate us now, wait until we fill up the scales and slow them even more.

I'll just continue to drive past them and plead ignorance of their laws if I get stopped.

olcoon

Well, when you want an answer, get it from the horses mouth. I just called the Arkansas State Patrol. I explained what I was asking & the trooper said as far as he knows the answer is NO. He said that the weight scales are for commercial motor vehicles (semi's, etc), the governor needs to get the money from the truckers! I'm sure this is true for most of the other 49 states also. Like Jay said, if I'm driving in a state & get pulled over for not stopping at a scale house, I'd be the dumbest guy around!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Even in California, a private vehicle and trailer is NOT required to stop at the scales. You are driving a "not for hire" vehicle so weight scales do not apply to you.

kowAlski631

One of our sons has his CDL & drives commercial. He says that only commercial drivers go through the stations.