Can I open my doors all the way?

firstone

Both TT doors have metal loops and holders on the outside to keep the doors secured to the side of the trailer when full open. Problem is both doors have the hydraulic rods attached at the top that keep the doors from going all the way back and don't just pop off or do they? Are they made to come off quick so I can lock the doors full open?

ParkIt

Check the base of the rod to see if it slips out similar to a bed hitch (sometimes with a small latch like a lock on the king pin), if it doesn't then you can't open it fully without damaging them.

firstone

Thanks. The only clip it has looks like a flat band that wraps half way around it on both ends. I would need a flat head to pop the clip up or off to remove it I think......Any harm doing this? Not sure why they would attach the door holders on the outside if they didn't want you to?

pegmikef

Careful, one of my doors would block the hot water heater it it opened all the way. The bedroom door would block the storage area door, but you can probably live with that. Blocking the hot water heater vent probably isn't a good idea though.

firstone

Goot point but I'm clear on those things. Cant figure out why they would have a door latch but not a quick relese for the door opener.

Careful, one of my doors would block the hot water heater it it opened all the way. The bedroom door would block the storage area door, but you can probably live with that. Blocking the hot water heater vent probably isn't a good idea though.

ParkIt

Thanks. The only clip it has looks like a flat band that wraps half way around it on both ends. I would need a flat head to pop the clip up or off to remove it I think......Any harm doing this? Not sure why they would attach the door holders on the outside if they didn't want you to?
If you can't do with pressure from your fingers or thumbs it isn't a good idea to pry them out, its a soft metal and will most likely break.
My guess is the dealership put them on your rig as an upgrade so it would have the clips on from factory.

pegmikef

This might be a dumb question, but if there are door latches for the doors on the rig and the doors will not be blocking anything when fully opened, why not just remove them completely? I know I would if I could, because on a windy day (and in TX it is always windy!) when the wind is blowing against the doors from either direction we have to keep them closed.

firstone

I like the struts for going in and out at times but in camp would be nice to pop them off and latch the door open.
This might be a dumb question, but if there are door latches for the doors on the rig and the doors will not be blocking anything when fully opened, why not just remove them completely? I know I would if I could, because on a windy day (and in TX it is always windy!) when the wind is blowing against the doors from either direction we have to keep them closed.

ParkIt

There are 'lock nuts' you can put on a tension rod that will hold them open, I've only looked for them on our Jeeps at JC Whitney. Might be worth a shot to find out on their website or possibly a hardware store that sells screen doors with tension arms.