Strange roof issue, is this normal?

ParkIt

Since the weather has cleared off I wanted to check the unit since it goes in Monday for whatever repairs are needed. As I was taking the tarp off walking close to the edge in soft sole shoes, I stepped down and heard a "crunch" sound...that can't be good. Once I got the tarp off it was weird - there is some sort of plastic (?) that seems to go over the edge of the roof to the sides, its rounded slightly so no sharp angles will puncture the rubber roof material, that is what made the crunch sound. After walking along the edges on both sides and gently pushing with my fingers that edging is not secure to the roof and I know it used to be because I get up there a lot to keep it clean and check the caulk and vent caps.

There aren't any tears or undue stress to the rubber roof but I can now see where its pushing up slightly on both edges, is it normal for that to separate from the roof itself? Why would it make a crunch sound?

I'm really hoping its something that can be fixed, the longer it sits the more weird stuff is developing and its sitting totally plumb level without the front legs extended, we used concrete blocks with wood on top since one is bent slightly from the tow driver incident.

guyc66

My last 5er (SOB) had this same issue......the manufacturer used staples to hold down that plastic strip along the roof edge and alot of the staples worked their way loose allowing the plastic strip to push up against the rubber roof. I could actually feel the staples if I pressed down on the roof. It was that way for most of the 10 years we owned that RV. I didn't feel good about how it was constructed but it never became an issue with tearing the rubber roof, etc. I'm not sure if Heartland uses staples for this edge trim or not but it may be what you are experiencing. If I had my way, it would be screwed into place so it couldn't work its way loose.

ParkIt

Thanks Guy & Judy, at least it's something we can address on Monday but it seems so weird. Of all the SOB's out there I've encountered over the last 2 decades, its the first time I've come across this with a rubber roof.

Speedy

Amy, the edges of your roof are not stapled but screwed down under that trim rail along the top of each side wall. We had our rubber membrane come unsealed on our way to last years national rally and when we arrived the Heartland techs jumped at the chance to fix it. Keeping this story short; they removed the cap, removed a third of the screws from this top trim and peeled the rubber membrane back to reseal it. Once everything was flat and tight the trim was relaid in place and screwed down.

ParkIt

Not a good idea to tarp it. Not with plastic anyways.
I always 'tent' it, you don't ever want sitting water under the tarp which will happen. It's why I kept getting slapped in the face and the grommets popped off...room for air to move.

Amy, the edges of your roof are not stapled but screwed down under that trim rail along the top of each side wall. We had our rubber membrane come unsealed on our way to last years national rally and when we arrived the Heartland techs jumped at the chance to fix it. Keeping this story short; they removed the cap, removed a third of the screws from this top trim and peeled the rubber membrane back to reseal it. Once everything was flat and tight the trim was relaid in place and screwed down.
I'm wondering if the membrane has come "undone" so to speak at the front cap where it took most of the shock from hitting the tow drivers bed. I had to caulk and tape a 1/4" wide 8" long gap on the entry side where the cap and membrane come together. The left side had a smaller gap but it also needed to be caulked and taped until it gets into the shop and since they have to take the front cap off they will have to peel back the membrane, I'll be sure to show the repair tech but the separation runs from the front to right above the entry door. How far back did the HL tech's peel yours back and screw down the edge piece?
Thanks for the information, it will help when it gets to the shop tomorrow.

wdk450

The edge of my roof has a half round metal flashing under the rubber membrane. I know because I tore the rubber membrane and dented the front portion of the flashing in from backing in under an overhanging tree limb last year.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
The edge of my roof has a half round metal flashing under the rubber membrane. I know because I tore the rubber membrane and dented the front portion of the flashing in from backing in under an overhanging tree limb last year.

Bill,
I agree, I did the same thing last fall.

The "crunching" sound that the op is hearing is probably the metal bullnose, which is only stapled to the rig under the epdm.
I would never walk on the rounded edge of the roof, after seeing how non supportive it is. Trace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

danemayer

The crunching sound is no mystery. It's a warning that you're too close to the edge and you're going to fall off the roof. :)

Seriously, if your foot was on the rounded area, you are too close to the edge. The slightest slip and you'd be done.

What gaffer said, why do you tarp it? I live in Northern Alberta, just got rid of a 7 year old trailer, never "tarped" during the winter( which lasts from Oct to Apr), ad never had any issues with the roof. If anything the sun is harder on these things than snow & cold. Just bought a new BC & don't plan on tarping it either, all that does is make mold, hold moisture, & rub the crap out of it.

Speedy

Amy, they peeled back the rubber membrane to almost even with the door. Applied new adhesive and rollered the membrane back down. Since they are going to be taking the front cap off I'm with you on sealing the edges until your rig is in the shop. The membrane hangs over two feet inside the cap so it's not going to pull out like I feared going down the road.

ParkIt

The crunching sound is no mystery. It's a warning that you're too close to the edge and you're going to fall off the roof. :)

Seriously, if your foot was on the rounded area, you are too close to the edge. The slightest slip and you'd be done.
Naw, I've fallen off higher and only bruised my ribs. Its what happens when you are hauling hay topping at 40' or in construction which was our family business. (edit: at the 12' ladders in the fields while hauling 50-60 lbs that are damp with dew, only did it once). I only put my toes on it to see why it seemed funny...that's when it made a "that's not good" noise.
Amy, they peeled back the rubber membrane to almost even with the door. Applied new adhesive and rollered the membrane back down. Since they are going to be taking the front cap off I'm with you on sealing the edges until your rig is in the shop. The membrane hangs over two feet inside the cap so it's not going to pull out like I feared going down the road.
Thanks Speedy, I wasn't sure how far it went down the sides but sealed it up immediately after it happened since I didn't want water running down the front cap into the closet. Not worried about it flapping off but good to know they peeled it back to the entry door, that is how far it seems to have come loose.
The repair manager told me they need enough time to take off the front cap and the bedroom slide out out to check the hydraulics as well, they are rated one of the best around and have repaired quite a few Heart Land units. I feel good about that.