Looking Hard @ the 3370RL Bighorn

boatdoc

Wife and I are looking at the Bighorn 3370RL, first on a list of ONE. A couple of questions for you owners of the Bighorn's. We have an 06 Open Road 357 and we have decided neither of us like the split bath. It's a good 5er but the Bighorn 3370 has the all in one bath and several other different things about it that seem to suit us better.
Here are our questions:

We don't remember seeing a t-stat on the wall, is this A/C/ Furnace one of those remote ones?

The UltraLube axels, different than the never lubes/ torflex we have now?

We're out West, way way West, and don't plan on any Midwest or back East travel in those terrible months of weather back there, Spring and Fall yes. With this in mind would you opt for the $1500.00 dual pane window upgrade or put that money toward other options or FUEL.
Thanks, Gary & Diana

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
boatdoc,
From what I remember the wireless thermostat did not go over well and I believe Heartland has decided not to use them so I imagine that there should have been a wired thermostat on the wall somewhere.

Also, we are upgrading from our current Bighorn to a Landmark August which is the same floorplan as the Bighorn 3670 you are looking at. Having our Bighorn for two years I will be getting the dual pane windows on our next coach. I feel it is going to be well worth the money. I will also being ordering the second A/C unit in the bedroom.

I hope someone else speaks to the your axle question. I was under the impression that the so-called never-lube axles actually is a poor term in that you cannot grease the bearings, instead you have to replace the bearings every two years. I also was under the impression that the torflex axles were very hard to replace bearing in.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Please spend the time here to see what others think.

Mark

jpmorgan37

Mark;
I have the Nev'r Lube bearings. They use them on many over the road trucks and don't have to replace them every two years. You are correct in that the thermostats are wall mounted.
Gary;
I would definitely recommend the dual pane windows and if you plan on any hot weather or cold weather camping, get the 13.5k low profile A/C heat pump for the bedroom. It should come with a wall mounted thermostat, if it is installed by the factory. I would also upgrade to the A/C heat pump for the main unit if you plan to use your coach much. I like the Nev'r lube hubs and the 3 3/4 inch brakes.
Just my opinion.

John

boatdoc

Thanks Guys. I guess the options page on the Heartland website isn't too complete with what ALL one can upgrade to. Our closest dealer is 30 miles away and they do the 9 to 5 thing on weekdays so it is hard for us run up there to check things out. They are also a very NEW Heartland dealer so I don't want to play the, ask sales guy and he says I'll get back to ya, Game. Quite frankly, I think we know more about the product than they do because of this site.
I wish they had a sheet that told of ALL the upgrades that we, the final owner, could see to make our minds up on. I, being a mechanic, want to know all about the running gear and true weights and could care less about the pillow option or what color the valances are. That's the wifes deal. I would hate to run into another Bighorn owner out there 3 months after we get ours and they have something on their coach that we were never told we had that option to have.
Thanks again, Gary

BJ'sDad

One way to find out where switches etc are place is to do a search for the model you are looking at on RVTrader or Ebay. My closest Heartland dealer is about 2 1/2 hours away, and since they didn't handle (not yet anyways) the Sundance, I had to make a 200 mile trip to the selling dealer to look over the different models to see where the thermostats, light switches etc were placed.
The nice thing about RVT and Ebay is, nearly all the pictures will be from different angles since they are listed by numerous dealers and you can do it from the comfort of your home.;)
I just searched Ebay, but there are no 3370's listed today, but there are quite a few on RVT, it looks to me like the thermostat is mounted in the hallway.

For up to date options, you're best bet would be to call the Customer service line at the factory as Heartland is one of the few that makes changes while the current model year is in production unlike many others that wait till the following model year to make changes. The website is not always up to date and neither are the brochures your dealer will have on site.

Donvnn

We have a 3370 and love it.we just completed our first summer season in it and just put away for the winter.Because we don't do to much winter camping we didn't get the double pane windows.We instead went with the Spendide washer/dryer combo and Kingdome satellite antenae.All in all we are really happy with the floor plan