Trouble with RejeX??

brlr2000

I started using Rejex about 2 years ago. I've applied it 2 times, and now I'm starting to see some rather large blotches of dull, grainy looking areas. Also, it looks like a few spots where the clear coat, or old wax, or gelcoat...or something is peeling? I'm not sure what's going on... Has anyone else had similar problems?

ParkIt

It sounds like it didn't cure which can happen if the humidity or temperature is too high (or too low) during the 12 hour process. At that point any debris in the air or UV rays could actually damage the gel coat and seal it in. You might want to call them on Monday and send them pictures, being a SEMA Member they most likely will try to help you figure out what is happening and a possible way to stop it from further damage.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I have used Rejex on two trailers now and love the product. Sounds like your issue is in the units paint and seal phase of application. Would document and stat a case with HL. Hopefully they can direct to an acceptable resolution.

brlr2000

The 'peeling' is on the Living Room Slideout. I applied the RejeX in the Fall...here in the desert...so I don't think it could be a moisture or humidity issue. The temperature was under 85 degrees. After speaking with the RejeX customer service, they suggested it was a paint problem. They also suggested I use a polishing compound (3M Finesse-IT), but I'm concerned that it would damage the paint and/or decals. Has anyone else ever used any type of polishing compound to strip the old wax off?

GOTTOYS

I started using Rejex about 2 years ago. I've applied it 2 times, and now I'm starting to see some rather large blotches of dull, grainy looking areas. Also, it looks like a few spots where the clear coat, or old wax, or gelcoat...or something is peeling? I'm not sure what's going on... Has anyone else had similar problems?
That is not from the wax..It's from a lack of UV inhibitor in the gel-coat. Look at some of the rigs around with the gray caps on them. Unless they were painted to fix the problem they will look terrible. Just not as noticable on the white caps. You could try polishing it out with some rubbing compound but it won't stay shiney for very long..Don

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You questioned whether our not a polishing compound would damage the decal. Are you seeing the problem on the decal as well?

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

brlr2000

I'm not seeing the problem on the decal, but I thought if I was to polish part of the rig, I may as well polish everything, including the decals. I don't know much about body work or paint protection and waxes, so if anyone has any other thoughts or ideas, I would be grateful.

ParkIt

Not sure what you used to apply the RejeX but if it was a buffer it could have thinned the final coating Gel Coat application which would cause peeling. The RejeX could have failed to protect it from UV rays causing it to become brittle and start peeling or you may not have applied it often enough to protect it. What you might be seeing is the yellowing of the Gel Coat and not pollen which is why it isn't coming off.
There are a lot of variables as to why this happened without knowing if you have a painted unit or gel coat and each step you took when cleaning and polishing it.
Sometimes there isn't anything you can do that will make it look new without having it repainted or a new gel coat put on though there are products that can help reduce the fade look but not eliminate it, you may want to take it into a dealer close to you and see what they think is happening.
Best of luck, it can be frustrating.

GOTTOYS

Rejex is a polymer coating. It doesn't create a layer as such and should never peel off. It works more like a spray on silicon, though it is not silicon based. You wipe it on and wipe it off. It doesn't cure and is safe to use on painted or fiberglass surfaces. You do not use a buffer on it. Just wipe it off and lightly buff by hand. If you are not the original owner it's possible it was once coated with a product called RedMax or similar which is becoming popular in some RV forums. There is a similar product by Zep Manufacturing called Wet Look Floor Finish, available from some of the big box home retailers. It does build up and form a clear layer, which in time may start to peel. Gel-coat itself is chemically bonded and is the outer layer of fiberglass. It may dull but I have never heard of it peeling. I might suggest try some floor stripper to try and remove the material or just a strong soap and water mixture. Good luck....Don