Questions about Big Country 3596 RE

dpetri

Hello all,

I have another few questions I was hoping somebody could help me answer about the Big Country 3596RE.

1. What are the pros/cons in having an onboard generator. Obviously I know it will make remote camping a possibility, but as far as whether it makes sense to have the unit installed inboard or transported in the bed of the truck. Do any people on here have experience with propane generators? Do they make as much noise as a conventional diesel?

2. After reviewing these boards for a while, I came across the suggestion to negotiate for a 35% off MSRP discount considering that many RV dealerships are struggling. The place I visited yesterday gave me 25% off the MSRP and claimed he had the lowest prices in the country (of course.) Does anybody on this board have experience with getting a 35% or more discount on a new order?

3. What is the meaning of having the "Rear Cap" option on the build sheet? Is this to upgrade the aesthetics of the rear cap or does it serve a practical purpose?

Thanks to everyone who responds for their time!

Doug

Speedy

Doug, a propane generator is the most fuel consuming generator of the three fuels. The only reason to have one over the others is convenience. Because I don't need a gen set all that often I went with a basic gas 3500 watt setup in my truck bed. Have had it for almost three years and not a problem with it. Easy to care for, easy to use, takes up space that would not be used for other things. I would have liked to go the diesel route so I only have to carry two fuels and not three but the cost of a diesel gen set was not worth it to me. Regarding the rear cap, it's mostly styling thing. All your higher end rigs have them and it sets them apart from the rest. Regarding taking 40% MSRP, it is possible but you'll need to wait for when camping season starts to wind down instead of right in the middle of it. We got ours for 41% off MSRP but we didn't order it.

Last edited:

Theresau

Try the internet dealers - they have the best prices and will deliver nationally. However, many people pick up themselves as well from across the country as they find that the prices are so good that it's worth it. I recently worked with Lakeshore RV in Michigan when I ordered our new BC. We live in MI but that was a coincidence and a convenience. And they are only about 2.5 hours from the Heartland factory. I ordered in March and received the "show" discounts so we got quite a bit off the MSRP. Even though those are not available now, you should still contact them to hear their prices.

In regard to generators - we purchased the 2 Honda 2000 generators - one is a companion. For short distances we only take one with us in case of an emergency. For long distance and/or in hot weather we would take the 2 as they can run the AC. Both will fit in the bed of the truck.

We frankly would not like having a generator in the front of the trailer.......but there are many that do....

danemayer

3. What is the meaning of having the "Rear Cap" option on the build sheet? Is this to upgrade the aesthetics of the rear cap or does it serve a practical purpose?
Hi Doug,

Rear Cap would be the molded rear cap that looks much nicer than a flat wall. It's possible there might also be some airflow improvement that improves fuel mileage slightly.

Theresau

I believe on most models the molded rear cap is standard with the Gold Edition. I made sure this was circled as such and explicitly written in that it was included on our final build paperwork.

When we went to the factory, there were some BC units in their holding parking lot that didn't have the cap (freaked me out...I was afraid we were going to find such with our model as I had not selected the molded rear cap as an option when we ordered it...first thing I looked at when we saw it after it was built). I believe those units were all the model with the rear kitchen. However, we also saw this model with the molded rear cap. It looks much much better with the molded rear cap............

Hello all,

I have another few questions I was hoping somebody could help me answer about the Big Country 3596RE.

1. What are the pros/cons in having an onboard generator. Obviously I know it will make remote camping a possibility, but as far as whether it makes sense to have the unit installed inboard or transported in the bed of the truck. Do any people on here have experience with propane generators? Do they make as much noise as a conventional diesel?

2. After reviewing these boards for a while, I came across the suggestion to negotiate for a 35% off MSRP discount considering that many RV dealerships are struggling. The place I visited yesterday gave me 25% off the MSRP and claimed he had the lowest prices in the country (of course.) Does anybody on this board have experience with getting a 35% or more discount on a new order?

Thanks to everyone who responds for their time!

Doug

1. Onboard is more convenient, sure....but not neccesarily better. Personal preference thing. I'd also much prefer one that runs on traditional fuel such as gas or diesel.
2. 35% off list price is a lot. Some units don't even have that much markup, some do. There is no set formula for the best deal you can get because some units have factory rebates, dealer incentives, etc. Some units also have more markup than others. Everyone will claim they are the lowest price, and it is rarely true. I always encourage folks to shop around **************.
3. Rear cap is as mentioned, some potential aerodynamic improvement can be had, but mostly just aesthetics.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Do any people on here have experience with propane generators? Do they make as much noise as a conventional diesel?

We have an on-board Onan 5500 that runs on propane. We've had it on overnight while sleeping and while it's noticeable, it wasn't loud enough to disturb our sleep. And that's with the genny mounted essentially right outside the bedroom. Onan claims 67-74db at full load. That is about twice as loud as normal speech, but quieter than a noisy office.

In terms of campground noise limitations, I don't know whether it would be objectionable during quiet hours.

Onan's Manual answers the question of diesel vs propane this way:
Each fuel option has its own advantages. LP generators generally have a lower
initial cost than diesel units. Plus, they’re smaller and lighter weight, allowing
for more fl exibility in the fl oor plan of large RVs. LP generators also have less
exhaust fume smell. Diesel generators have a much longer engine life. They
consume less fuel, and diesel fuel usually costs less than LP, which brings
additional savings. A diesel generator gives you a common fuel system, and the
convenience of operating your generator from the vehicle’s main fuel supply.
The generator best for you depends on how you use it and your own personal
preferences.

Fuel consumption for the 5500:
Gasoline running with a full load: 0.9 Gallons per hour
Propane running with a full load: 1.1 Gallons per hour

If you're running the generator enough for that .2 gallons per hour to become important, you'll be spending a lot on fuel, no matter which one you get.

I would add that with propane, you won't have to worry about fuel gumming up the carburetor over the winter.

ParkIt

Hello all,

Dan answered that one pretty well though it depends on what you are used to. I've had a diesel and gas generator, the Onan diesel is much quieter and uses less fuel overall though you'd have to carry a tank of fuel for it. Propane isn't something I'd work well with, we use a lot for just the stove & oven using the electric for the water heater.

35% is a bit steep unless you are looking at a dealership that is about to go out of business or in the process of selling to another company. There are various online sites that list units from these types of dealerships and left over stock from manufacturers with good prices but you wouldn't have the backup of a dealership on warranty. That can be a pain to deal with sometimes if there isn't a good dealership close to you. Ours was 35% because they had it sold for the most part and a couple took delivery but sent it back 3 weeks later after a job loss, we didn't get all the options we wanted and there was no wear in it so they could to sell it for less.

It does look nicer but there are more crevice areas to clean (around the lights and cap moldings), since you won't have a window there anyway the extra for it may not make up the difference in fuel mileage. It would be a small difference in gpm when compared to a Cyclone.

Hope that helps a bit in your decisions.

dbbls59

I had a propane on board generator in my previous unit and miss it dearly on this one. Out main use was for meal preparation while on the road. A push of the button and we had electricity. I now have two Honda's and I just do not like to go to the hassle of getting one out, and pulling out the power cord to get power for lunch. Also with the propane I never had to worry about the carburetor getting gummed up.