Time changing upon entering forum/ posts say already read (when they haven't been)

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Folks, I have sent Jim a couple of different e-mails on this subject and he tries to help me, but basically I get the reply from him that no one else is complaining, so maybe it is just unique to me. Have any of you had the following happen to you...

1. You enter the forum and it says that you last visited it some hours ago. Hit the "New Posts" and the time changes to "1 minute ago" and does not show any unread posts. I have had this happen at least five times, twice in the last two days.

2. You are going through the "New Posts" section and somewhere part way down, you no longer see any new unread posts, but you can plainly see that the ones you are looking at, you have not seen before.

I know in some cases that I remove cookies during cleanup, but no more often than weekly, and in so doing, I have to sign in again. I haven't done this since Monday morning, so I can't explain why it happened yesterday (Tuesday) and today (Wednesday), after I signed in on Monday.

Anyone else experiencing problems like this, or others???

BJ'sDad

That was one of the intermittant "bugs" that we talked to Jim about at the Southeast Rally. The problems seem to come and go, so I think it's a server problem that will take some time to find.

jimtoo

It has not happened to me at all and I check the forum about 3 to 4 times a day. Just like to stay informed about everything and everybody. On maybe two occasions or three, I have gotten an error or message that the page cannot be displayed, but I go back and hit it again and it hooks on.

Hey,,,,, it's HALLOWEEN,,, got to have a ghost or two.

TRICK OR TREAT!

Jim

cmart

Yes this happens to me quite often. If I start reading the new post and then screw up and somehow disengage myself from this site; when I come back there are no new post even though I didn't read all the ones I was planning on reading before ignorance overtook me and I logged out. I thought it was just operator headspace.

jbeletti

Hi all,

I appreciate Chuck starting this thread. Let's keep the comments coming. Just be as specific as you can. Perhaps if a commonality can be found, the root cause can be determined and fixed.

Thanks,

Jim

madigand

It seems to happen to me also. I notice it mostly if I visit a web page or link and when I return to the forum, shows no new posts

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I try to log on once or twice a day but I use the quick links and posts last 24 hours. That way I can see everything. Seems to work fine for me that way. Now and then I do get the internal server error but I can usually back out of it and refresh or click again and the problem goes away.

ct0218

I haven't noticed that problem at all. I may go days without logging on if I'm busy or out of town, other times I'll log on 3 or 4 times in a day. Strange that some have problems and others don't--there must be some common reason among those with the problem.

TrickyD

It just happened to me! Was reading "new posts" did not log out only clicked on several links and pictures. Got through all of page 1. When I clicked on page 2 got the following message:
<vBulletin Message
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.>

When I clicked the back button system said I had last visited only an hour ago. Now that I think about it this has happened several times in the past. Always the same scenario...read all of posts on page 1 and when trying to go to page 2 of new posts the error occurs!
Hope this helps a little.

TrickyD

cdbMidland

I just had it happen again to me.

This time, I opened the forum to copy the link to an e-mail that I was sending a friend in the market for a new 5th wheel. Seeing that it had told me that I had last visited over 24 hours ago, I figured that I'd better go into the new posts and start looking at them. Sure enough, no new posts to read and I had last visited it 1 minute ago. When I had copied it back into the e-mail, I sent it - not sure what effect this would have had on this forum.

Maybe, if there was some way of setting the post history to see all activity since whatever date and time we wanted to (similar to reviewing obits in an online newspaper), this wouldn't be such a hassle.

Of course, I could just open every category and see which posts had been updated since I had last reviewed them, but this is cumbersome. I could limit the topics to those that are specific to my model family (e.g. Bighorn), but we all know that there are responses to one make that are from someone else has another model family and that response just might be valuable to owners of all models.

jpmorgan37

Chuck;
One thing that I've found is when I sign on to the forum, I can't jump to do and e-mail of PM, because when I come back, all of my post since last visit are history. Another thing I've found is that there is a time limit that you can leave it open (not sure how long) before it quits recognizing them. I know when I get interrupted for 10 minutes or so, I lose the unviewed post feature.

John

cdbMidland

jpmorgan37 said:
Chuck;
Another thing I've found is that there is a time limit that you can leave it open (not sure how long) before it quits recognizing them. I know when I get interrupted for 10 minutes or so, I lose the unviewed post feature.

John

John, I think that you have the answer to my problem. I had been away from the forum to eat dinner and sure enough, when I returned, the only ones that came up with "view first unread" in the 25 threads that I still had not seen were those that had responses since I returned.

Jim, why does it do this? It is a nuisance.

jpmorgan37

Chuck;

The moral of that story is that if we are to stay on top of what's happening on the forum, we have to give up eating (and sleeping).NoneNoneNoneNone

John:D

jbeletti

I wonder if the browser is doing an auto-refresh of the forum and therefore is tricked into thinking that posts are no longer new??

Jim

jimtoo

Jim, I think you got it.

It appears that if you do not continue to use or change screens in about a 20-30 minute time period, the system will reset to a new visit. At least that is my thinking.

The other JIm
Jim

cdbMidland

Left the forum today at 12:48 PM. Came back in about 7:45 PM. There were five threads that apparently had been posted to (bet there were more). As I was going through the "view first unread" posts in each thread, I noticed that there were some posts prior that had been created before the unread ones that I was seeing, but I had not seen them before.

I had been on my PC during the afternoon, but did not go to the forum between the times stated. And, I had not left the ones I looked at earlier open. What is going on???

jbeletti

Chuck,

10 to 30 posts per day go into a moderation queue. Once they are approved, they appear. They may end up keeping their original post date/time versus time/date we validate them.

Today, there were several new posts in various ATFs and some by new users. remember that for new users, their first two posts are moderated.

Not sure if this helps you.

Jim

cdbMidland

Jim - could they get a new date/time? I may have answered something in the ATF category (at least I think I did). If so, and MY date/time changed when it was officially added, then maybe this explains it.

jbeletti

Chuck,

Let's test it. Add a test post with a subject line of "Testing @ hh:mm EST", where hh:mm is the time of your post.

JP and I will leave it in the moderation queue for several hours. Whichever one of us approve it, we'll add to your post, the time we are validating it (plus the time zone).

Then we'll see what date/time the post gets when it appears online to all.

Thanks Chuck,

Jim

cdbMidland

Jim Beletti said:
Chuck,

Let's test it. Add a test post with a subject line of "Testing @ hh:mm EST", where hh:mm is the time of your post.

JP and I will leave it in the moderation queue for several hours. Whichever one of us approve it, we'll add to your post, the time we are validating it (plus the time zone).

Then we'll see what date/time the post gets when it appears online to all.

Thanks Chuck,

Jim

I added it to the Bighorn ATF. I put the time of the post in both the subject line and the text.

Chuck