2010 Edge M21 Jack question

dplantz

Stupid user time....

Am about to make my first long haul trip in my camper. Wondering about possible flat tires. Would one of the trailer stabilizing jacks work and support the weight to jack up and change a tire? If not, what do you guys use?

danemayer

Hi deplanz,

Stabilizers won't lift or support the trailer; youll damage them trying.

You want a hydraulic jack that has enough extension to lift the frame high enough to get the tire off the ground. If you take your GVWR and subtract the tongue weight, then divide by 2, you'll know how much weight you have to lift. The jack should have a higher capacity. The greater the difference between the weight and the jack's capacity, the faster the lift will go. You may also need boards to spread the weight on the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pegmikef

I have a small Sears floor jack that I used to use when I had my M21. Worked fine twice (one flat in Mesa, another in my driveway). I now carry a bottle jack with an axle saddle and a couple of square eight by twos (to raise the jack up). Takes up less room than the floor jack did.

evolvingpowercat

The Edge M21 is up to 4,500 pounds loaded 3,600 pounds empty. After securely chock blocking the other side and putting down the landing jacks on the other side I have been able to jack one side's wheels off the ground with a 4 ton bottle jack following with jack stands under both axles to further secure before doing anything. Beware, if the Edge is on an un-level location the unit will shift slightly into the other side chock when the weight comes off so get those chocks really tight against the other side wheels. The use of the landing jacks to raise the wheels off the ground is not supported, I agree with the other poster only bad things are going to happen if you try it. If the jacks don't break first you may damage your frame.

pegmikef

I think mine extended is like 16 inches, but I always put it on the two bys to raise it. It is 8 tons. I just went out and looked and it is 15 7/8, but works fine with the boards. I seem to remember, my Edge was considerably lower than my NT. It has an 8 inch minimum. I bought mine at Harbor Freight.

Chumbly

I agree...use a bottle jack. There may already be one in your tow vehicle, with the spare tire...and use something under it to raise it to the proper height and distribute the weight so the jack won't sink into the ground/asphalt... you may also already carry leveling blocks, which can be used for this purpose. It may also help to run the unaffected wheel (on the same side), up onto some leveling blocks before jacking up the affected wheel/axle. Always place the jack under the axle as close to the wheel as possible, when jacking it up...not the trailer frame. Your jack doesn't need to be that big, I believe you'll be lifting less than 1000 pounds, (trailer only weighs about 4400 lbs, and some of that is on the hitch). Once the axle is jacked up, as a precaution it probably doesn't hurt to drop the stabilizer jacks as well. Oh, and make sure to loosen the lug nuts on the flat tire/wheel, before you jack it up. Good luck.