Secure Internet Banking

tljack

When traveling, where can I find secure internet sites to do my banking? I do not have a smart phone and do not plan to get one anytime soon.
Terry

danemayer

Hi Terry,

Security is relative. Your browser software (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome or others) will provide a basic level of security. But if you're using public wifi, like at a Panera's, a skilled operator could spoof the Panera network and compromise your security. Wifi at a campground has similar exposures, but might be less likely to be frequented by the skilled operator looking to take over your computer.

Corporations often use a software protocol called Point-to-point Tunneling that creates a very secure connection even on a public network, but to the best of my knowledge, banks are not offering Tunneling to their online banking customers.

If you get a MiFi or Jetpack (with accompanying data plan) your computer will make a connection to the Verizon or AT&T or Sprint, or T-Mobile cellular data network with a much higher level of security than any public wifi. This is similar to the data connection you'd have with a smartphone, but it uses your computer. I would say this is your best option.

ILH

I use a little device called Surfeasy that provides protection even when using WiFi. I've been using it for about a year now - absolutely love it!

donr827

If there is a will there is a way to get your information. JMO. I do not use free wifi hot spots like McDonalds for financial transactions. I will use a CG wifi, if necessary, which has a much smaller probability of being hacked. Again JMO
Don

I agree with Dan about getting a MiFi or similar. We also have a netbook for banking only, no email or surfing with that one.

TXTiger

My iPad is a duel mode wifi and LTG. I use the LTG mode to do my banking and the free wifi for surfing.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
My wife pays most all the bills online. She uses the websites of the companies she's paying, all of them (we use) have secured sites for paying. She uses our banks website to also pay a couple of payments.

We have a Verizon air card and a wireless router that we use at home or in the RV, and haven't had any problems with security. My wife was in banking for over 30 years so she is very careful when it comes to making payment on-line.

danemayer

Your Verizon Air Card is the main thing that's improving security compared to using public WiFi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I use an MBR1000 Router and either a verizon or Sprint aircard. This gives me an electronic firewall and a software firewall from TrenMicro.

I do not log on to the bank to pay my bills. I have all my bills paid to my credit card. I log into my credit card online and have them (only them) draft my checking account one time. I receive emails from all the ones that charge to my credit card about two weeks before the draft payment.

I download all of my charges on my credit card from the internet to Quicken. I check my Credit card online about 2 or 3 times a week to make sure there are no unauthorized charges..

I am reasonablly sure about my access..

FWIW
BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With very few exceptions, I have all recurring bills set up to be automatically paid from our credit union account. And I don't have a debit card linked to our accounts, either.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
With very few exceptions, I have all recurring bills set up to be automatically paid from our credit union account. And I don't have a debit card linked to our accounts, either.

I agree with John... This is what I do also...

Great minds think alike.. LOL...

BC

mlburst1

We use either our WiFiRanger or Cradlepoint router to connect to public WiFi, either of which can use a Wifi signal as the ISP for the router - we are then protected on our own private network with WPA encryption - this is a very secure Internet connection and I don't hesitate to pay bills and conduct banking chores online.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We use a Mi-Fi device from ATT. The connection is encoded and password protected. I have used such a device for a number of years without issues. BTW why not get a smart phone? We love ours and I have an I-phone from ATT and the wife has an Androde phone from Verizon. We have service where ever as some place you cannot get ATT and some no Verizon. Having both works for us. It is nice being able to send and receive emails and/or photos while going down the road. Smart phone rule! IMHO