GCVR and GVW Towing Vehicle Question

dpetri

Hello All,

I am looking for a tow vehicle, and I was hoping a few of the fine folks on this forum might be able to point me in the right direction.

I am in the process of purchasing a Big Horn 3875 FB. The coach has a GVWR of 16K lbs..

My prospective towing vehicle is a 2013 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4, with a 6.7 power stroke turbo diesel V8. This vehicle can tow 15.9K lbs 4x4, and 16.3K lbs 4x2. In this configuration the GCWR is 23,500 lbs, and the vehicle curb weight is approx 7,600 lbs.

I tried using the "Before You Tow" app to help understand this situation but I'm still a little foggy. Step 1 has and OK to tow after entering the GCWR, GVWR, and the GVW at the 4x2 configuration, but the 4x4 config just misses the passing grade.

I ran into a problem with the app in step 2 when I could not locate a reliable source for those numbers online. Does anyone know a place to find those figures?

Also, when building a truck online, the option to increase the GVWR up to 10,000 pounds is an option, which I do not understand at all what this accomplishes.

Could somebody please give me a brief lesson on what this all means, and in the F-350 is capable of towing this unit or what configuration changes need to be made to the towing vehicle to be legal and not have any problems with insurance claims for overloading?

Thanks in advance!

Doug

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi Doug,

I've moved your thread to the Tow Vehicle, Truck/Trailer Weights subforum.

The coach has a GVWR of 16K lbs which from what I understand is a combination of the dry weight and hitch weight.
The GVWR is the maximum allowable weight for the trailer, including everything that came from the factory, everything you install, all your gear, clothing, tools, and water in the tanks.

The dry weight shown on the Heartland website is 13,400. That's the estimate of how much it weighs coming out of the factory with standard equipment. If you order options, the actual dry weight will be greater.

Let's assume the dry weight is actually 14,000. Let's assume you add 1000 pounds of stuff. Lets assume you add 40 gallons of fresh water at about 300 pounds. That would all add up to an actual weight of 15,300.

As a point of comparison, our Landmark has a GVWR of 16,200 and last time we weighed it, we were at 15,000. We've got just about every option available including generator and washer/dryer, and a bunch of stuff.

So will a truck rated to pull 15,900 do the job? From a specifications standpoint, yes. In addition, from an anecdotal point of view, most people on the forum would say the truck has enough power.

You haven't mentioned payload on the truck, which is also important. The trailer pin weight is listed at 3010#. If you have options like the genny and washer/dryer up front, and load up the basement storage area, you could easily get to 3500# sitting on the hitch/rear axle. For a SRW truck, you'll be close to the payload limit, or over it, when you add in hitch weight, passengers, tools, bed liner, bed cover, pets and anything else in the truck. You'll likely get a lot of suggestions to move to a DRW to improve the payload. That'll usually give you additional towing capacity as well. And better stability while towing.

My take is the truck you're looking at will work, but is at its limits. Our GMC has slightly better specs than what you're looking at, and we're very close to the spec limits. Ours tows very well and is quite stable (SRW, Crew Cab, Longbed, 4x4).

Others can comment on possible legal issues. I'd suggest you read the exclusions and limitations section of your insurance policy to see if says anything about how you use the truck.

DW_Gray

Hi Doug,

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you mentioned you tried using the BYBRV app. You're the first person who has provided any feedback and I thank you for that. Without feedback like yours, I have no idea what may be wrong or if there is inadequate support information. In addition to getting the answers you're looking for, I hope you'll also assist me with any app improvements. I'll assume you read the information page that can be viewed by clicking on the
instructions-icon2.gif
button.

For Step 2, fifth wheel, the required information is:

Prospective Tow Vehicle
Enter the Rear Axle Weight - On the CAUTIONS page is the following statement.
BUYER INFORMATION
Some of the requested tasks suggest you enter the actual scaled weight of the fully loaded prospective vehicle. Obviously, obtaining scaled weight in some situations may be difficult, if not impossible. Consider asking the seller if you can obtain the weight the tow vehicle. Some vehicle brochures or owner's manuals or towing guides will show the curb weights of the vehicle. It's not the best choice to use the curb weight because it does not provide the accurate weight required for the two required tow vehicle weights. If you are unable to weigh the tow vehicle, choose wisely the weight you enter in the weight entry boxes.

I realize getting the weight of the rear axle is difficult when looking for a tow vehicle. I've noticed too that some websites no longer list the curb weight. The frustrating fact is a lot of need-to-know information has been eliminated from some websites. Unfortunately, I don't know what to do about that. Not long ago, I visited a Chevy dealer and they could not even tell me the GCWR of the trucks I was looking at. Their own book didn't have the information or they just didn't know were to find it. I wish there was a magic formula. If you can get the dealer weigh the truck for you then you could at least start from there.

Enter Rear GAWR - Some websites list this but that is becoming rare. In most cases you'll have to see the Certification label yourself at the dealership. I was at Toyota dealer and the sales lady didn't even know what the Certification label was.

Prospective Trailer
Enter GVWR - (You know that number is 16K)

If there anything you think I need to improve, please tell me.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I think the SRW is whats hurting your towing capacity. I have a 2013 GMC 3500 4WD C/C DRW and it rated to pull a 22,500# 5er With GCVW rating of 30500#.

Lou_and_Bette

Doug, to confirm what Dave mentioned abpove about listed curb weights, when I bought my 2008 F450, the dealer listed the curb weight as 7600lbs, same as yours. When I actually had the truck weighed, with both factory tank and 50 gal add on tank full, DW and I both in the truck, hitch in place, etc, the weight was 9600 lbs. So, you really need the actual weight to be certain the ruck will do what you want.

Lou

dave10a

My truck is at its limits pulling my Landmark according to the CAT scales. It would be over the GCW if the grey and fresh tanks were full. The truck pulls the trailer effortlessly and most of the time I don't even feel the trailer-- no sway, not bucking and sits level with no squatting. Heartland trailers a light for their size.

SilverRhino

My truck is at its limits pulling my Landmark according to the CAT scales. It would be over the GCW if the grey and fresh tanks were full. The truck pulls the trailer effortlessly and most of the time I don't even feel the trailer-- no sway, not bucking and sits level with no squatting. Heartland trailers a light for their size.

Just a comment: In my opinion the ratings are very important and should be adhered to. I know my truck will easily tow more than it's listed capacities.....Had to do it on the ranch on more than one occasion.....BUT...... just being able to move it does not mean you are doing it safely or that you will be able to stop it. I always try to err on the side of caution and safety.

As stated, just my thoughts on this :)

dave10a

Just a comment: In my opinion the ratings are very important and should be adhered to. I know my truck will easily tow more than it's listed capacities.....Had to do it on the ranch on more than one occasion.....BUT...... just being able to move it does not mean you are doing it safely or that you will be able to stop it. I always try to err on the side of caution and safety.

As stated, just my thoughts on this :)
Mine is within limits if grey/water tanks are empty and the fresh is not full. I consider it very safe as Ford has built it. A dually is the next truck up in towing capacity, but it simply is not justified and real pain in the a-- if one need to park it in the garage, deal with snow or navigating the parking lots-- not to mention city driving. I have pulled 15000 miles with ease so far :angel:

4ever

I agree with above comments. Your truck will pull the trailer with no problem but can it stop in time. Also many people will say that the manufacturers have built in safety factors. This is all true however, don't live on the edge. Always keep in mind the most precious cargo you are hauling is your family. Don't skimp when it comes to the safety side of things. Just my two cents worth.

Tombstonejim

It is not the tow rating that you are going to exceed it is the GVWR of the truck. I don't think I have ever seen a F250/350 with a GVWR over 10,000 for a SRW truck. The only place I have ever seen the Truck GVWR is on the door sticker of the individual truck. I don't see any way with that trailer that you will not be over the GVWR of the truck. You need a DRW truck to carry that weight.

Eddhuy

It is not the tow rating that you are going to exceed it is the GVWR of the truck. I don't think I have ever seen a F250/350 with a GVWR over 10,000 for a SRW truck. The only place I have ever seen the Truck GVWR is on the door sticker of the individual truck. I don't see any way with that trailer that you will not be over the GVWR of the truck. You need a DRW truck to carry that weight.

Not trying to be offensive or convince anyone on what truck to get but F350, SRW, CC with GVWR over 10,000 lbs.

F350 Doorsticker.jpg

pegmikef

Yep, most 2013 350 / 3500 SRW's are over 10K these days. My question is, did they make wholesale changes or did they just tweak the numbers to match the competition?

Actually for the 2013 F350, GVWRs greater that 10 k are an option and the max is 11,500. I still didn't really like the numbers for the BH just ordered (they weren't a whole lot greater than my F250), so I just went with a dually.