4012 electrical problem

We are fairly new to RVing so maybe we're not doing something we should be. Our dealer has not been able to help us the way we need to be helped and can't seem to answer the questions we need answering. Maybe this forum can. Our battery keeps draining while in storage and/or just sitting in our front yard inbetween loading up for the next trip. We made sure the stereo system and the water pump inside and outside was disconnected or off and everything else that we thought might cause it. Is there something maybe we're missing? Should we disconnect the battery when sitting in storage? The security monitor red light stays on all the time and we don't know hot to turn that off. We're trying to get all the "bugs" out of it before we go fulltiming next month after we sell our house. Any suggestions quickly would greatly appreciated.

jbeletti

I would think that the parasitic loads on the battery would not have a large affect over say the course of a week. But maybe I am wrong. If you don't have one now, consider adding a 12 volt disconnect switch.

My trailer is plugged into AC power when stored so my converter with Charge Wizard keeps the batteries topped off.

When I had a TT, I installed a 12 volt disconnect and kept it off in storage mode.

Jim

crazybanshee

there should be a battery disconnect in the front compartment. Try turning that off to see if that fixes your problem.

russell

There are many parasitic loads on the 4012. I found that turning the battery disconnect switch off in the battery compartment was neccesary. The second problem was that the RV came with one 12v deep cycle battery. I replaced it with two 6v T-125 deep cycle batteries wired in series to provide 12v. This setup lasts much longer.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If you have your fridge on running on LP and not plugged into 110, it can drain the battery over a weekend if either of the 2 switches above the freezer (open) door are on. These are climate control and low ambient temp control switches. These must be off if your fridge is on and you are not hooked up to 110.

Thank guys for all the help. We already did the two battery setup like Russel suggested so now we will try the battery disconnect like crazybanshee suggested. That will probably be our answer. We didn't realize we had to do that but with each trip, we learn more and more and hopefully by next month when we go fulltiming, we'll be all set. Thanks again guys.