Replacing Microwave/Convection

Rodbuster

My wife has mentioned that the microwave in our unit (2012 Landmark) does not seem to have adequate power.

Can I purchase a residential microwave/convection oven combo and install it in place of the stock one?
Will it fit in the same exact spot?
If the new unit is more powerful, will I have any electrical issues?

Thank you
Dick

ParkIt

You may want to call Heart Land customer service about that, I wanted to switch ours to a convection microwave but the way its built in would require taking out the cabinets to get it hooked up and fit in properly plus additional wiring. Not sure where yours is located in your unit, it might be easier depending on where the cabinets, fan and vent are around it.

danemayer

Dick,

We've got the Amana AMNV6167DBDS. The microwave cooking power is 950 watts, which isn't bad, but neither is it the 1000 or 1100 watts commonly found on larger home microwaves. Ours seems to do fine. The only time I feel like it's underpowered is preheating the convection oven. Takes a very long time to get to 400.

If you have the same unit and it's not cooking well, maybe there's something wrong with it. You might call the manufacturer for guidance. There's probably some test you can do, like heat 2 cups of water for a specified time and see if it boils.

If you do move to a unit with higher cooking power, you may go over 15 amps. I think you might have to check the outlet and wiring to see if it's rated for higher amperage. And of course the circuit breaker. Also, the microwave is probably not the only thing on that circuit breaker. You could run into problems tripping a 20 amp breaker if something else is used at the same time.

MCTalley

Dick,
If the current unit is 30" wide, has a couple screws down into the top of it from a cabinet above and rests on a metal bracket of some sort on the bottom of the unit, it is probably pretty much a standard unit.

We replaced the inexpensive Frigidaire microwave in our Big Country with a Maytag convection/microwave we picked up from Home Depot. The new unit was about an inch taller and required we remove the mini blind from above the window below it, but other than that it was a fairly straightforward installation.

To be honest, I didn't check the power requirements on the old vs. new units. We haven't had a breaker flip yet, though.

jbeletti

The Landmark uses a standard 30" unit, so most 30" units of other brands should fit width wise. I believe the microwave circuit is on its own. So no trouble there, unless like Dan mentioned, your new unit pulls more power than the breaker in the AC panel.

I know Terry H changed his Amana out to a GE Profile and had little to no trouble.

wdk450

If you can find your owner's manual for your microwave, there is usually a standard performance test in the manual of putting a cup of water in the microwave and getting it to boil in 2 1/2 - 3 minutes.

guyc66

If your microwave is on a dedicated 15 amp breaker it could theoretically handle 1800 watts so I don't think you will have any issues tripping the breaker with a larger unit. However, the NEC says you shouldn't exceed 80% of a 15 amp breaker so you would be best to keep it under 1440 watts total load.

dfowler

Question: Is there a difference between a microwave for an RV and one for home use? Also, would one bought at Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc. work (provided it is the same wattage, same size, etc.)? I have been told that microwaves for an RV are built to withstand all the bumps and vibrations during towing, while the home models are not. I don't know whether to believe this or not!

wdk450

Question: Is there a difference between a microwave for an RV and one for home use? Also, would one bought at Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc. work (provided it is the same wattage, same size, etc.)? I have been told that microwaves for an RV are built to withstand all the bumps and vibrations during towing, while the home models are not. I don't know whether to believe this or not!

I did a quick websearch and came up with this good article:
http://www.housewareandkitchenproducts.com/the-best-microwave-for-an-rv/

ParkIt

And since last year when I called HL...just as mentioned its only a couple of screws and a bracket, no need to remove cabinets and there is no trim piece above mine.
I think mine was designed for a combo unit because there is an additional 6" from the top of the microwave to the upper finished panel - and more unused space above that. The width is standard so no issues there and the fan can still be hooked up with a nicer open/close housing on the exterior.

Only debate now is which brand is most reliable.

atlgagent

We just purchased a used 2011 Landmark Rushmore. The microwave didn't work and the dealer was going to purchase one at Lowe's to replace it. The boss wanted a microwave/convection so the dealer gave us a reasonable allowance to get one on our own. We ordered one from Lowes that should fit into the opening without any issues. The only question I have is the one we ordered is a "recirculating" model and does not have to be vented. The old one was vented. Is there any reason why I can close up the vent hole before I install the recirculating model?

jimtoo

Hi atlgagent,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you don't need it I see no reason not to close the vent,, but doesn't the stove range hood use the same vent? Just asking to make sure.

Enjoy the forum and your Landmark.

Jim M

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello atlgagent and welcome to the forum. Lots of great people and great information here.
I see no reason why you could not plug the vent hole before installing your new unit.
Why would you not want to vent the cooking air that may have a lot of moisture and cooking odors?
You do know that with non vented models you will have to change a charcoal filter on a regular basis, correct?
There is a reason they are vented.
Just something to think about.

Peace
Dave