Peterbilt crewcab tow rig

sdthoren

Here is my current tow rig - a 2000 Peterbilt model 330 with a Schwalbe crew cab conversion. It only has 74,xxx miles on it and tows like a dream.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdthoren/8819026982/

We are getting ready for our maiden voyage in our new 2014 Cyclone 4100HD King. Even though our old one is a 2006, I am amazed at the quality and features of the new ones!

Scott

danemayer

Hi sdthoren,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

Nice looking TV. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

wdk450

A lot of us Heartland guys like having a truck but . . . . .T H A A A A T ' S A TRUCK!!!

marvmarcy

I'll trade you! Mine is a year newer and has a bigger engine. ;)

Your Pete is what I was looking for when we settled for our Volvo. I'm envious! I love the overall performance of big trucks compared to a pickup. More power, better ride, better brakes, more room, handle more weight, etc.

sdthoren

Thanks all, new to the forum, still figuring out how to post!

We have been RVing and toyhauling with the kids for a few years now. We started out with an older Kenworth T400 that had been privately modified with an extended type cab. Cummins L10 with a 15 speed fuller transmission. It took some concentration to drive, but was a nice truck.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdthoren/8810202693/in/set-72157633635778587

The Peterbilt is a joy to drive (with a couple fingers and a push-button automatic), barely know the trailer is behind us, and as marvmarcy notes, it has great brakes (and exhaust brake). Surprisingly, newer pickups have more horsepower, and are getting close on torque! But we really enjoy it!

Scott

scottyb

sdthoren, welcome. I hope you are enjoying your 4100 as much as we are ours. That is a very impressive TV you have there. Would love to see some photos of it hooked up to your Cyclone.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Trailer......what trailer. Oh, I forgot there is one back there.

Very Nice!!

sdthoren

...Would love to see some photos of it hooked up to your Cyclone.

It's not quite hooked up, but we had to check it out as well. Sorry for the poor quality picture, but it was getting late and the phone cameras just aren't quite the quality of a digital camera (operator error probably doesn't help either :p )

IMG00350-20130519-2038.jpg

scottyb

That's very nice and I like the new color schemes as well. They look amazingly compatible together. I've seen several where the tractor looks out of proportion with the 5er.

How well can you get around when you reach your destination? We do a lot of back country driving on our camping trips. We drove 140 mi of back country and 4WD roads in the Big Bend - Terlingua- Lajitas areas recently.

ParkIt

Where did you pick yours up? (noticed we are in the same state)
Was pointing out to DH on the freeway how converted day haulers (no yard dogs) would be my dream puller. It might be a bit much with our BC but I already know there is far less to worry about when going down the road.
Looks excellent!

(dangnabbit, just drooled on the keyboard)

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
See them every so often BUT WHY????????? What is the purpose of pulling a shoebox with a freight train? Bet it is a blast to drive when you get there.

sdthoren

That's very nice and I like the new color schemes as well. They look amazingly compatible together. I've seen several where the tractor looks out of proportion with the 5er.

How well can you get around when you reach your destination? We do a lot of back country driving on our camping trips. We drove 140 mi of back country and 4WD roads in the Big Bend - Terlingua- Lajitas areas recently.

Thanks much for the complement, I need to get some pictures with better light. We were a little concerned about the Cyclone HD grey and Peterbilt white not matching well, but they look good. We have done some gravel roads in the truck getting to the Fremont Powerhouse in central Oregon. I definitely would not want to take it on a 4wd trail!

Parkit - we found ours in California about 4 years ago with ~8k less miles...we aren't road warriors yet!

Scott

sdthoren

Guess I should have said it had ~66k miles (instead of 8k less than 74k)! It was set up pretty much as we have it now, although we did add the air ride 5th wheel hitch.

Scott